How To Make A Succulent Topped Pumpkin

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Diane Lane, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

This looks interesting, it's a cute pumpkin-themed centerpiece, or could be used elsewhere, as a seasonal decoration. It's perfect for the Fall season, and would be great for Thanksgiving. It's a pretty short YouTube video, less than 5 minutes.

Lara Moss likes this.
  2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:Interesting way to decorate for the holidays. I'm too lazy to do this for the holidays. The best part of this pretty and new way to decorate for the holidays that you'll keep this holiday plant for a while.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Very interesting, and crafty! I liked the idea of a hot glue gun! There used to be a show on PBS, called... Aloe, Aloe!;)

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Unfortunately, we have no pumpkins here except for the small decorative pumpkins sold in big supermarkets. It is corny if we would use squash, hahahaaa. Although we don't have Halloween here, that would be a good decoration for the occasion. However, the only cactus we have here is aloe vera.

May I reiterate that until now I still have to taste a pumpkin pie. I can imagine that Halloween celebrations would not be complete without the pumpkin pie because that is the farm produce that is in season.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I like that it doesn't kill the plants, they grow on, despite the hot glue. I was concerned about that. I have a few succulents in my garden, and would like more. I have always loved pumpkins and squash for some reason, both to eat, and also for decorations. Possibly that's because my birthday is in the Fall, and so is my mother's, so we always tended to be a bit more festive at that time of year.

@Corie Henson Here's a blog from a woman from the Philippines who now apparently lives here in the U.S. I was thinking you could have a pie shipped over there, but after reading this, it occurred to me (I don't know why I didn't think of it before reading this) that you could probably just order a couple of cans of pumpkin, and have the housemaids make up a pie or two, so y'all could try it. Back home, we have canned squash as well, and I used to always make squash pies too, but I've never seen it here. At some point, I'm going to order some of that, so I can make another squash pie, since I miss the taste. The squash pie is similar, but milder than the pumpkin pie, and I love them both.

Here's an old blog post from 2010, discussing pumpkins and squash in the Philippines, and these pictures look very similar to what we have here in the U.S. And, here's a recipe for how to make the squash y'all have in the Philippines taste like the pumpkin we use in our pumpkin pies here in the U.S.

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane, a cousin of mine arrived in the US 2 weeks ago. I learned about it in her posts in Facebook. When I commented that she is lucky to meet our relatives there, she replied that we should also go there since we are frequent travelers. But the hassle is the application for a US visa. And then my cousin gave us the instruction on how to apply for US visa online. So probably we can try and time our trip to the US for next year's Halloween.. just for the pumpkin pie, hahahaaa.

Although we have a cooking range with an oven that we bought last year, we are not bakers here and I am not comfortable in trying my hand with baking. So I will just have to be content with the picture of the pumpkin pie for now.