How To Deal With Being Offended

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Hedi Mitchell, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

What a person wants to call them, many folks simply say they are vulgar and disgusting words. Wife and I totally agree.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that you have a very good point, @Cody Fousnaugh . I dislike the smell of cigarette smoke intensely, and tried not to go places where there was a lot of smokers, back then that was allowed in most places. I don’t like having a conversation with someone where most of the words are expletives either, and i really think that it shows a sorry lack of word comprehension that they can’t explain themselves with anything except swearing.
    As a Christian, I particularly do not like to hear cursing that involves God or Jesus , although none of it is good.
    I realize that in some cases, more swearing is considered okay, like out in the workforce, especially construction jobs, and everyone there is talking the same way and no one thinks anything of it.
    The people who want to talk that way have their right to do it; but I have the right to choose not to associate with them, so I think it comes down to live and let live.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

A young 20-something co-worker of my wife's told in a text to their boss that she lived out in BFE ("bum-F-Egypt"), IOW, quite a ways from work. I asked my wife, "do you know what that means?" and she said "yes and I don't want to hear it." I then ask her if this girls talks this way at work and she said "yes". She also told me that she complained to the boss about this young ladies language and that the girl has tamed down her language since. As for me, if I was this boss I would have told the young lady, in privacy, "if you want to continue working here, you won't use that language here again." However, the girl would probably have contacted a lawyer.

There's a 40-ish barber that works at the shop I go to. I've heard him say both F and MF words. Have no idea why the owner/barber puts up with it, but he does. One time I was in there, getting my hair cut by the owner, and this dude starts talking with these words. I looked at him and said "I guarantee you wouldn't talk that way if my wife was sitting in here waiting for me. She'd definitely tell you about it." He just looked at me and went back to cutting the customers hair. Come to think about it, if he's in there when I get my hair cut, he doesn't use those words anymore.

@Yvonne Smith, I truly believe the "live and let live" phrase is like some other phrases like it.........a "cop out" for folks to continue doing what they want to. IOW, it's giving them an excuse for doing things. I tell my wife that as well and she understands, but will still sometimes give an excuse for what some folks do.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

What I meant by that term, Cody, was that people are going to live their life the way that they want to, and swear or not swear, regardless of whether we like it or not. Even if there was a law against it, people would still curse; but if we do not want to be around it, we can just avoid those kinds of people , at least most of the time.
    When we are at work, there is not much a person can do, and I agree that the boss should step in at this point and at least ask that employee not to use that kind of language at work.
    When I was growing up, I rarely heard my parents use any bad language, and even then, it was not the really vulgar expressions being openly used Nowdays.
    After i was married, and my first husband was a lineman just like my dad was, and he made some comment about my dad cussing, and using really bad language. I was upset, and told him that MY dad never used those kinds of words, and he just replied that I should hear him on the line jobs.
    So, obviously, whatever my dad said at work, he did NOT come home and use those same words around his wife and daughter.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Please tell me you All understand that I have no problem with cursing. The issue is repeating them over and over unnecessarily at any given time with no apparant reason.

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell - we have a very good comedian over here that we would look forward to viewing
    One night we sat down to have a good laugh with him when to our absolute shock, he swore every other word !
    How can this be I thought, as we switched off, we'd seen him for years ...........
    The answer was that he was doing a 'gig' that was televised and he swears (so I learnt) non stop at his gigs !
    Why ? ............. Can't figure it at all

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, we sure do! Especially when heard in a restaurant, with kids sitting at a the table it's coming from.

I remember, again, years ago, I was at lunch with a lady friend. The young lady sitting behind the lady I was with, started saying the F word to the person she was talking to. My friend turned around in her seat and said, "do you mind, I came in here for a nice lunch, not to sit and hear that language." I thought, "wow, you get them girl!" The couple ended up leaving.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, one thing we've learned about some comedians, they will say and talk about almost anything. Swearing, teasing about different races..........all of the above.

We asked a black lady, that we sort of know, if she watches the tv show, The Carmichaels. She said she watched part of one show, but couldn't stand the sarcastic humor about blacks. Well, George Lopez, in his show, The George Lopez Show, done the same about Mexican's and Hispanic's. We told her we watch The Carmichaels and think it's great humor.

9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm offended by being around people that are drinking...can't stand it. They're loud and obnoxious but I don't tell them to stop...it's not my business unless they're getting in a car and driving home like that.

I'll take a few swear words over being killed by a drunk driver.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Your just to nice, Chrissy!

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't mind bad language in movies when it is appropriate. I wouldn't expect a street gang member to talk like a Sunday School teacher. When everyone is talking that way, it's a bit much and I think they do that sometimes just to get an "R" rating.

Like sex scenes in a movie, I also didn't mind the absence of cuss words in movies made at a time when they didn't feel the need to include them. I generally take my bathroom breaks during sex scenes in movies, but am annoyed that they are compelled to include a sex scene in every movie. Even in a war movie, someone has to find a woman somewhere, available for a sex scene in the middle of a battle.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Hedi Mitchell and Holly Saunders like this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Sex sells @Ken Anderson ...if it didn't they wouldn't bother adding those scenes.

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell , I think the meaning of your post has been swallowed up by the PC language brigade...lol..

.no offence to everyone who've contributed thus far ..I dislike the use of arbitrary bad language as much as you all...but I'm no saint I do swear at times myself, but I never use words that are toe curlingly offensive that we all know and detest and anyway, different countries use words that are often deemed offensive in one place and are perfectly acceptable in another place.... however. the OP was pointing out that it's too easy to take offence at anything and everything I believe... it's up to us if we want to be the eternally offended..

yes we may not like the look of someone walking down the road 6 stone overweight, with half their skin on show because their clothing doesn't fit..or be offended at the dirty drug addicted beggar clearly out of his scull sitting in the doorway of a city centre shop...

You can feel offended when someone doesn't agree with your views, and puts up an argument against them...

..or offended...that someone smokes..or drinks... or gambles...or offended that the sky is blue over you enemies house, when it's grey over yours.

I think the point is, that you can choose to be offended at anything.. ..but no-one is doing that to you...you're doing that to yourself..

You are taking on the mantra of offence... IOW you are choosing to become offended..

Unles someone causes you actual harm or potential for harm to you or another person...we have to accept a world where none of us can like or dislike the same things....so always someone will be offended by something regardless of how small or large...

I'm offended..( I prefer to use the word irritated because I feel that ''feeling offensive' make it personal rather than generally annoyed'' )...by things like children being allowed to run amok in shops and restaurants or on planes....

I feel offended that our country's last Government has allowed so many migrants in our infrastructure is on it's knees...and we're all suffering because of it.

I'd feel offended if someone accused me of something I hadn't done... ( bloody angry actually)...

That's just a couple of examples.....but some of those might not offend other people....

I'd feel I was wasting my time being offended by someone wearing blue shoes...or someone whose drinking alcohol to excess( unless they are a danger to people around).... I might find it funny in some instances rather than be offended.... it's a choice!!!

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Some feel as if some humor is offensive. A person may not even be talking about them, but they can still take it offensively. There are times, when I see a big built black or white dude, I will ask him "do you do Body Guard Services? I'd hire you in a second." Then I will say, "you'd just stand in front of me and say.........."you touch the white boy and you dead!" They willt smile, laugh and that's it. Walk away. However, some times it appears that they get a little embarrassed, because they don't see themselves as "big built".

15. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Next is banning the dictionary because not only these words were spoken but they were put in print and they will be there forever. Sounds ridicules but where do you go when words are so bad.

Holly Saunders likes this.