How Many Times Have You Been Pulled Over And Not Gotten A Ticket?

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How many times have you been pulled over and not gotten a ticket?

I can't answer this one with any accuracy because, as a high schooler, the state police would often pull me over for one thing or another, usually speeding, but they never ticketed me.

I was pulled over by a Sheriff's Deputy once when I was speeding, but I think the only reason he pulled me over was to ask me to remind my dad about something having to do with the Boy Scouts since he was the scout leader of another troop. Before he pulled me over, I had just been passed by someone going much faster than I was. The deputy was known as Swede, which was odd since pretty much everyone around was Swedish.

Swede: "Going a little fast, aren't you, Ken?"
    Me: "Me? How about him?"
    Swede: "Oh, I couldn't catch him."

Other than that, I got a bunch of tickets in California but I don't recall ever being pulled over without getting a ticket.

In Texas, I knew most of the cops because they had been in one of my EMT classes at one time or another. But, given that I worked as a paramedic, I tried very hard not to break any traffic laws. I was speeding one night when I met a State Trooper on Highway 100. He did a U-turn, turned his lights on, but then turned them off again, and did another U-turn. I figured he probably recognized my car and decided to be nice. I got a speeding ticket in Rio Hondo one day after they had extended their city limits, along with their speed limit area, and I hadn't noticed. I didn't know the cop and he wrote me a ticket. The police chief called me the next day.

Chief: "I see you were in Rio Hondo yesterday?"
    Me: "Yeah, I hadn't noticed that the speed limit was extended. It used to end at the bridge."
    Chief: "Don't worry about the ticket. I'll make it go away."

I have pretty much been a good boy for the past couple of decades.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Three times; each time for speeding and just given a warning all three times. [​IMG]

Most memorable was when I was on my way to my dying father's bedside and flying low on I-10 entering Tallahassee FL around 1 a.m. I was going 86 in a 55, and had a loaded 38 revolver in the glovebox. Officer asked me where I was going in such a hurry so I told him. He told me to get on my way and to drive carefully.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Never. I've gotten a ticket every time I've been pulled over. Two were out-and-out bogus. Two were semi-deserved, but could have been resolved with a warning. One was deserved.

4. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Around 1979, my girlfriend & I were driving to Las Vegas. I was doing around 85. The speed limit was 70. When we saw the cop's red lights, my GF said, "Just don't say anything; I'll do the talking & we won't get a ticket."
    The cop said, "I've been clocking you at 85 for a couple of miles."
    My GF said, "Oh, officer, please don't give us a ticket; we're going to Las Vegas to get married."
    The cop looked at me & asked, "Are you really going to marry her?"
    I said, "Uh.....yeah."
    He handed me back my license & said, "Well you're already n enough trouble. Watch your speed."

5. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Never been pulled over by police with me driving , however we’ve been pulled over a 5 times about 1.30 am when we’ve been to Adelaide for a special dance or ball that don’t normally finish till about 11pm and by the time we get home it’s about 1.30 am so we’ve been stopped ,in our home town , and asked why are out that hour of the morning ? and of course hubbies been breathalysed but the strongest we drink at dances is black coffee .

Sadly the balls / special dance nights ,are just good memories now as the people who ran them gave it away last year.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  6. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

3 Times and no warnings or ticket...Houston 1970, one might have been in 73 when I ran into a friend I had worked with downtown at the Buick Dealer, the two of us were going to a tavern to have a beer and catch up on what ever. I was driving a Pinto, he had a 56 Chevrolet Belaire with drag slicks on the back. Out of nowhere a cop car came up and pulled both of us over. He was going to write Chuck a ticket for drag racing me, yeah that's right a Pinto of all th ings. Chuck laughed at him and so I guess it embarrassed the fool but he wouldn't let up, he then decided to write Chuck a ticket for some silly thing on his car. It was gray and cloudy out so we all had lights on and Chuck pointed out to the policeman that he had a burned out headlight. NO tickets were written after that, he gave up and we went and had a beer and haven't seen one another or talked ever again. First time I was pulled over I had not been home but a month and I had bought a nice clean Super Sport so I was out giving it my best with some other car and the cop was nice and just told me to slow down.

I did until I bought my new Mustang and I was coming into town on the upper 45 going into downtown Houston, had the ears laid back on that Mustang and I had changed the rear end gears to 4:11 so it had tremendous speed full throttle. This Honda 750 Motorcycle policeman pulled me over and he never had his ticket book in his hand, he just ask me questions about the car since it was new and the first year for the new bodies. He told me "Man I was doing a 100 miles an hour and I couldn't gain anything on you". He was pretty nice, I did get a couple tickets the next year but after paying two that was enough for me. I stopped speeding and spent time at the drag strip rather than the street. Today I would never even think about driving fast with all this traffic but in 1970 after dark the city of Houston had exactly 8 cars on patrol. At that time it was not 100 square miles and it was pretty quiet.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Reminds me of the early 60s in Oklahoma City, my Grandmother and her friends would drive to Norman Oklahoma on Saturday Nights for a Barn Dance that took place in an actual Broom Corn Barn. I don't remember seeing alcohol sold but I do remember we kids having a great time. The dance was on a dirt floor ha. One thing about Oklahoma they are well known for being Southern Baptist and the sidewalks get rolled up at dusk.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Only once, for a headlight out.

Only one speeding ticket, on a trip a long time ago on a two lane road in North Carolina. I think going 70 in a 55 mph zone. Later found out it was at a well-known speed trap, at that time.

9. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

ive been pulled over3 times but only got one ticket

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Only one time and that was on a motorcycle. I came upon a line of stopped traffic going nowhere due to what I don't remember. I waited a little to get a read on the situation and determined that I could pass using the middle third lane. I did, but as I neared the front of the line, a cop pulled me over. I stopped and was taking my helmet off when another cop came over and said to let me go because I didn't break any traffic law. Whew!

11. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’ve been pulled over a number of times but only gotten tickets a few. I’m always very polite and apologetic and I guess it makes a difference. I usually get a written warning.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I was pulled over on a motorcycle but that wasn't a traffic stop. They thought I had been involved in a robbery or some other crime. I don't remember if they told me what it was about, only that I wasn't the person they were looking for.

13. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't count a road block once. They were looking for some criminal. Just asked if I knew the man. I had a car at the time and they didn't check the trunk.

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I had a speeding ticket in 1972 on Interstate 95 in Virginia, then another one in the 1980s in North Carolina driving back to Virginia from the Outer Banks just going with traffic (my fault for having out-of-state tags, I guess.) I got one ticket in the 80s for an illegal turn in a "set up" situation turning right at a red light when there was a tree-covered sign prohibiting it, and the right turn was going into an apartment complex...it wasn't even a cross-street. That's it for tickets, except a DUI charge in 1989 that I unfairly beat (and then I quit drinking.)

One time in '72 I was getting squirrelly in the empty parking lot late at night after work, and a cop pulled up and said "What would you think if I told you I wasn't crazy about the way you drive?" He let me go.

Like others, I've always been polite.

15. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've only had 2 tickets and I really haven't been stopped a lot of times. I've never had a speeding ticket although I've deserved many. I tend to have a heavy foot. Now at my advanced age I'm driving a bit slower knowing that tickets will penalize me more with my insurance than they might have when I was younger.

My best, well at least that I'm willing to tell, was the last time I was stopped. It was more than 10 years ago and there was really no traffic. I didn't see that cop behind me until I noticed his lights after I turned off the main road. He said I was doing 45 in a 30 mile zone. I did the apology thing and figured I was toast and it would be a big fine. He gave me a warning and asked me if anyone had ever told me I looked like Angela Lansbury, then told me to slow down and have a nice day. That left me speechless.

John Brunner and Nancy Hart like this.