How Did You Meet Your Spouse, Significant Other, Mate, Partner?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Bobby Gnomy, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Veteran Member
    Registered

I met my ex-husband on April 1st (April Fool's Day), on a Sunday when I rushed down the street to the mailbox with my envelope address to the state for my Unemployment search for that week. I was collecting unemployment benefits and once a week I was required to mail in a form that stated indicated I had actively looked for week.

I lived on the first floor of an old two story house that had been turned into two apartments. Identical to mine was the exact same set up right next door to mine. In fact, there were several houses that looked exactly the same with the same set up.

It was a nice sunny mid-morning and I wanted to mail the envelope prior to getting ready for the day -- meaning I had not yet taken my shower, or washed my hair. Rare for me to go out in this manner, but... I figured it was less than five minutes to go down the street and come back to my apartment. What could happen? I threw on my old marine t-shirt and a pair of shorts, a pair of flip flops and off I went.

While out, I noticed a guy in a black Lincoln Continental car riding down my street. He looked at me and I looked at him. That was it. This was on my way down to the mailbox.

When I came back home to my apartment, I opened the door and looked into the small mirror I had inside the entrance and said out loud "I would like to meet that man".

Within minutes, I heard a car outside honking it's horn repeatedly. Very strange, because it was a quiet area. I figured there was something wrong and went out to my porch. Lo an behold there was that same car with that same person driving the car... honking the horn. I was bewildered, as the driver parked his car and got out and walked near my apartment building. Whoa, what was this?

He introduced himself and apologized for honking his horn so many times. But, he said he saw me come out of a house and couldn't figure which house it was due he was driving because all the houses looked the same! Told me he wanted to meet me. Hmmmm, this was getting odder by the minute.

I said "Why do you want to meet me?" He said "Well, I saw you look at me when I was in my car, and I looked at you and wanted to get to know you if you are single!"

He was really good looking and appeared to be close to my age. I lived on a hill and he came closer to my building and started to walk up the steps to my front porch. I immediately said "Stop! I don't know you, don't come any closer!" I'll talk to you from my front porch, but you have to stand between the houses." So he moved over to between the two houses where he could stand a fair distance between us and looked up at me standing on the side of my front porch. He was on street level and had to crick his neck to look up at me.

We started chatting about simple stuff... I asked him where he lived and he said he lived in a suburb near me, but had just come from visiting his mother in the nursing home near me. He did this every Sunday. The suburb he lived in happened to be where all my relatives lived. One thing led to another in our long conversation, and it turned out we knew some of the same people in the community. I was starting to feel more comfortable and he asked me several times if he could come up to my front porch because his neck was hurting from having to hold it in an awkward way for an extended period of time.

Eventually, after about an hour, I said he could come closer to talk with me. He did. We spent the rest of that day and night together. We were inseparable, and the rest is history. I moved out of my apartment three weeks after we met, and moved in with him. We were married eight months later.

The most interesting thing is, he and I were together every single minute, except for the one hour a day he spent down at the coffee shop, where he joined his fellow buddies that grew up together.

So, that's my story. How did you meet your significant other?

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Met my wife 16 years ago next month. I had placed a Personal Ad in the Personals of a local magazine. She seen the ad, called the number listed and left me a message. Come to find out, she had placed a Personal Ad, in the same magazine, but I never looked at the Men Wanted Ads section. Anyway, I listened to her message and called her back. Had a very nice conversation and that we had numerous things in common.......Country/Western dancing and rodeo's being the main ones. I knew how to a Two-Step and Texas Swing and was really good at it, but didn't do the Line Dancing. I had also been involved with a professional rodeo association for a number of years. Team Roping was my event. Unfortunately, had to sell my horse to pay a rather high phone bill, but continued to help local Stock Contractors at rodeo's.

So, we decided to meet at a Denny's restaurant across the street from where I was renting a room in a condo. We were both "dressed to kill" in Western attire. For me: Wrangler jeans, Black Felt cowboy hat and black Roper boots for me. She had on Roper brand jeans, a Resistol Straw cowboy hat and wearing pointed-toe cowboy boots. Those boots ended up going and I got her a pair of ladies black Roper boots. So, it was "Love At First Sight" for both of us. I took her to numerous rodeo's and we done our share of dancing at rodeo dances. Heck, we even found out that both of us were into Square Dancing. She had just graduated from a class and I had been doing it for a number of years. During our first date, I asked her to marry me and we decided to wait a year for that, but she accepted.

When we met, she was sharing a 2-bedroom apt. with her mom. Two weeks after meeting, she went on a Bahamas' cruise with her two sisters. We kept in contact during the entire time she was gone. When she got back, I moved in with her. This was fine with her mom, whom she shared the apartment with. The week after I moved in, we looked at wedding sets and she picked out one. She started wearing the engagement ring right away. We were married the following year on the day we met at the Denny's.

We are a year and a half difference in age (her older). She's my Motown/cowgirl; being raised right outside of Detroit during the Motown years and learning a ton about pro-rodeo and I'm her cowboy/Classic Rock man/former drummer.

That's it...........LOVE FOR EVER! (w/many of the same interests)

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I had moved to Chicago after I left home and moved in with my grandparents. They belonged to a Hungarian social club that had dances and Balls. It wasn't just for seniors, all ages belonged as long as you were Hungarian.

I really didn't know ballroom dancing at the time and that's what they mostly played. My future husband asked me to dance. It was a waltz. I think he lifted me off my feet and danced like that, lol. Anyway we danced a few more dances and that was that. One day of that week he stopped by my grandparents house and we talked and he asked if I wanted to go with him to a friends house, I said "yes". This was on April 11 and on April 18th he took me out for my birthday. He came over to my grandparents house again, bought me 20 roses because I was 19 and one for good luck. A bottle of champagne even though I wasn't legal age, he was. Then took me to dinner, a movie and dancing.

In the movie he took my hand and placed an engagement ring on it. It was dark, he was lucky he got it on and asked me to marry him. I must have said "yes" because we were married on July 25, 1970.

My parents weren't thrilled, he was older than me and I barely knew him. They all said it wouldn't last but it did til he died on June 25, 2004.

CRAZY! Eh?

The movie was "The Adventurers" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065374/

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I had already posted this but I will post again for the sake of this thread. I met my husband in the office. He was there for 8 years when I was hired as a trainee. Since he was a friendly guy, we became friends instantly and later on close friends. It took years before we became lovers. In fact, we both enjoyed the time when we were friends although we do not go out together because I am with my all-girls night out and he with the boys' night out. I really don't remember how he courted me but maybe the feeling was mutual so there it was.

5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My x-wife was a car hop at the drive in in the photo below, which is still in business. She had big blue eyes and a nice wiggle when she walked, and I was hooked.
    cheritop2a.jpg

Chrissy Cross and Mari North like this.