How About Some Lower, Cost Trip Ideas

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Denise Evans, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

..for a couple or more ladies, or gents??

I live in Northern CA, far North near the Oregon border, and I want to find a trip I could take, package deal, with a girlfriend. We had talked about saving for a cruise up the Inside Passage but that can be higher cost. I don't know what's out there, but I know to look on AARP for senior deals.

Anyone do a fun tour/trip, maybe a week, maybe shorter, that didn't cost an arm and a leg? I wonder if there are packages for several folks going in together?? Seems they have a lot of these types of tours in Europe, but I don't know about the US? Thanks all, in advance, Denise

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

We just go armchair traveling and are happy with it. This is by far the cheapest of all travelling on Earth, lol. I say save your money till you get married and have a grand honeymoon. Once we went on a stay at hotel on island home vacation which was relaxing waking up in an environment that you don't have to clean, cook or work and it was wonderful. This is the second cheapest vacation just go to a hotel near by and relax-eat out and go visiting the town's sights. Have fun on your vacation!

Denise Evans likes this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

You are probably right Kriss;) I would really like to meet a gal-friend though, and do something, so we could maybe pick a place in between where we both live, and just meet there;) I will have to ask her and see what might be doable for both of us;) Thanks so much, I am happy we have the internet, the only thing is, doing something with a buddy would be so fun;)

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that you are not too far from the Oregon Vortex, @Denise Happyfeet . I think that you would love going on a trip to see the Vortex, and it could be accomplished as a 2-day, overnight trip probably.
    I have been there 2-3 times, and loved it each time.
    This is one of the places in the world where things are not "normal", and even the Indians were said to stay away from there because it spooked the horses.
    One man spent most of his life investigating what causes the phenomenon there, and you can find more information about that online if you think you might like to go there.
    It is good to go with a friend, and you will enjoy the part of the size-changing place. No one knows exactly how it works; but there are some excellent demonstrations of it happening in this video.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just saw this post, Denise. Thought I answered something similar elsewhere. No more kale for me! :)

Your cheapest short trip would be agreeing to watch a timeshare presentation, only catch is they want couples and they might expect you to have some money. :)

I'm only familiar with the Monterey Peninsula area and Napa Valley. The Central coast. Furthest south I've been is Anaheim and Disneyland.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

I'll take a look at the vid Yvonne, but I am assuming this is the vortex near the Rogue River, and Grants Pass area? Anyway, lived there, and when I was a child we went a few times to The House of Mystery. Balls roll uphill, or appear to. It is an interesting place, but I'm an Oregon girl so probably wouldn't go on a vacation there, except to go camping. There is no better camping in the world then up the rivers in Oregon:)

Thank you much for the suggestion Yvonne, someone might see this and want to visit there. It's a gorgeous area, and the Rogue River is fabulous for Jet-boat rides, fishing, just all sorts of things:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

That was a cool video, really brought back the memories @Yvonne Smith. I had never known about Lister, and his studies, interesting. Can't figure how he could burn all his work on the vortex, but he must have been a bit eccentric. On the other, no matter what you show some folks, they will still not accept the possibilities.

I think I'll go watch some X-Files now, love that show, LOL!! hugs for you Yvonne, denise

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

One of the cheapest trips to me would be to get a vacation guide book of the state you live in and go "touring" the interesting places in your state, especially the ones that aren't to far from where you live. There are often alot of interesting places, etc. right around you and they often don't cost alot of money to visit either.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That would depend on what you like to do. If you're looking for touristy attractions and events, the costs will probably be high. I like going to places where there aren't very many people and, by their nature, these are places where there isn't anyone with their hands out looking for money. Others would be bored without manufactured things to do. Given your location, you've probably already been to Sawyer's Bar and the Forks of Salmon. I have vacationed in the state park there a few times while I was living in California. It was a beautiful area but one with almost nothing that needed to be paid for. Even the park fee was paid on an honor system, in that campers would place the small fee in a box. I imagine a park ranger might come by once in a while, but I never saw any. Sawyers Bar, then, had a population of about sixty, while Forks of Salmon had a population of a hundred or so, and those were the only towns near there. I spoke of it in this post. I was young when I went there, but if California weren't so darned far away from Maine, I think I would still like it, although I don't think I would just drive off into the forest as I did then.

We have a couple of timeshares that we've never visited, but we use our points to get a timeshare in different places two or three times a year, usually in an off-season, such as at a ski resort in the early spring or fall. We like doing some of the more touristy stuff too, such as Washington, DC or Boston, but I prefer out-of-the-way places.

While my son was with me, I was working for the paper company, and had several weeks of vacation each year, so we'd just pick a place on a map and drive there, staying a week or so. Sometimes the trip there and back was the best part, but it was interesting getting to know places that are barely on the map.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

If I remember right many State Parks charge no entrance fee for Seniors now. And in many States you do not have to buy a fishing license anymore if you are a Senior too. There are many discounts for Seniors too although not all of them are advertised. So don't be afraid to speak up and ask if there is a discount wherever you go.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

This listing came from Denise Happyfeet a couple of months back. Hope it helps @Babs Hunt .

SENIOR DISCOUNTS UPDATED!

Courtesy of Captain George Jehn

Keep this list and send a copy to your senior friends and relatives.
    As I was waiting in line behind an older gentleman at Wendy's recently, I heard him ask for his senior discount. The girl at the register apologized and charged him less. When I asked the man what the discount was, he told me that seniors over age 55 get 10% off everything on the menu, every day. Being of 'that' age myself, I figured I might as well ask for the discount too. This incident prompted me to do some research , and I came across a list of restaurants, supermarkets, department stores, travel deals and other types of offers giving various discounts with different age requirements. I was actually surprised to see how many there are and how some of them start at the young age of 50.
    This list may not only be useful for you, but for your friends and family too.
    YOUMUSTASK for your discount!

RESTAURANTS:

Applebee's: 15% off with Golden Apple Card (60+)

Arby's: 10% off (55+)
    Ben & Jerry's: 10% off (60+)

Bennigan's: Discount varies by location (60+)
    Bob's Big Boy: Discount varies by location (60+)

Boston Market: 10% off (65+)

Burger King: 10% off (60+)
    Chick-Fil-A: 10% off or free small drink or coffee (55+)
    Chili's: 10% off (55+)

CiCi's Pizza: 10% off (60+)
    Denny's: 10% off, 20% off for AARP members (55 +)
    Dunkin' Donuts: 10% off or free coffee (55+)
    Einstein's Bagels: 10% off baker's dozen of bagels (60+)
    Fuddrucker's: 10% off any senior platter ( 55+)
    Gatti's Pizza: 10% off (60+)

Golden Corral: 10% off (60+)
    Hardee's: $0.33 beverages everyday (65+)
    IHOP: 10% off (55+)

Jack in the Box: Up to 20% off (55+)
    KFC: Free small drink with any meal (55+)
    Krispy Kreme: 10% off (50+)
    Long John Silver's: Various discounts at locations (55+)
    McDonald's: Discounts on coffee everyday (55+)
    Mrs. Fields: 10% off at participating locations (60+)

Shoney's: 10% off
    Sonic: 10% off or free beverage (60+)
    Steak 'n Shake: 10% off every Monday & Tuesday (50+)

Subway: 10% off (60+)
    Sweet Tomatoes: 10% off (62+)
    Taco Bell : 5% off; free beverages for seniors (65+)
    TCBY: 10% off (55+)
    Tea Room Cafe: 10% off (50+)
    Village Inn: 10% off (60+)
    Waffle House: 10% off every Monday (60+)
    Wendy's: 10% off (55 +)
    Whataburger: 10% off (62+)
    White Castle : 10% off (62+)

RETAIL & APPAREL:

Banana Republic: 30% off (50+)
    Bealls: 20% off first Tuesday of each month (50+)
    Belk's: 15% off first Tuesday of every month (55+)
    Big Lots: 30% off
    Bon-Ton Dept 15 % off on senior discount days (55 +)
    C.J. Banks: 10% off every Wednesday (50+)
    Clarks : 10% off (62+)
    Dress Barn: 20% off (55+)
    Goodwill: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
    Hallmark: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
    Kmart: 40% off (Wednesdays only) (50+)
    Kohl's: 15% off (60+)

Modell's Sporting Goods: 30% off

Rite Aid: 10% off on Tuesdays & 10% off prescriptions
    Ross Stores: 10% off every Tuesday (55+)
    The Salvation Army Thrift Stores: Up to 50% off (55+)
    Stein Mart: 20% off red dot/clearance items first Monday of every month (55 +)

GROCERY:

Albertson's: 10% off first Wednesday of each month (55 +)
    American Discount Stores: 10% off every Monday (50 +)
    Compare Foods Supermarket: 10% off every Wednesday (60+)
    DeCicco Family Markets: 5% off every Wednesday (60+)
    Food Lion: 60% off every Monday (60+)
    Fry's Supermarket: Free Fry's VIP Club Membership & 10% off every Monday (55 +)

Great Valu Food Store: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
    Gristedes Supermarket: 10% off every Tuesday (60+)
    Harris Teeter: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
    Hy-Vee: 5% off one day a week (date varies by location)
    Kroger: 10% off (date varies by location)
    Morton Williams Supermarket: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
    The Plant Shed: 10% off every Tuesday (50 +)
    Publix: 15% off every Wednesday ( 55 +)
    Rogers Markelace: 5% off every Thursday (60+)
    Uncle Guiseppe's Marketplace: 15% off (62+)

TRAVEL:

Airlines:
    Alaska Airlines: 50% off (65+)
    American Airlines: Various discounts for 50% off non-peak periods (Tuesdays - Thursdays) (62+) and up (call before booking for discount)
    Continental Airlines: No initiation fee for Continental Presidents Club & special fares for select destinations
    Southwest Airlines: Various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
    United Airlines: Various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
    U.S. Airways: Various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
    Rail: Amtrak: 15% off (62+)
    Bus: Greyhound: 15% off (62+) Trailways Transportation System: various discounts for ages 50+

CAR RENTAL:

Alamo Car Rental: Up to 25% off for AARP members
    Avis: Up to 25% off for AARP members
    Budget Rental Cars: 40% off; up to 50% off for AARP membe rs (50+)
    Dollar Rent-A-Car: 10% off (50+)

Enterprise Rent-A-Car: 5% off for AARP members

Hertz: Up to 25% off for AARP members
    National Rent-A-Car: Up to 30% off for AARP members

OVERNIGHT LODGING:

Holiday Inn: 20-40% off depending on location (62+)
    Best Western: 40% off (55+)
    Cambria Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
    Waldorf Astoria - NYC: $5,000 off nightly rate for Presidential Suite (55 +)
    Clarion Motels: 20%-30% off (60+)
    Comfort Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
    Comfort Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
    Econo Lodge: 40% off (60+)
    Hampton Inns & Suites: 40% off when booked 72 hours in advance
    Hyatt Hotels: 25%-50% off (62+)
    InterContinental Hotels Group: Various discounts at all hotels (65+)
    Mainstay Suites: 10% off with Mature Traveler's Discount (50+); 20%-30% off (60+)
    Marriott Hotels: 25% off (62+)
    Motel 6: Stay Free Sunday nights (60+)
    Myrtle Beach Resort: 30% off (55 +)
    Quality Inn: 40%-50% off (60+)
    Rodeway Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
    Sleep Inn: 40% off (60+)

ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT:

AMC Theaters: Up to 30% off (55 +)
    Bally Total Fitness: $100 off memberships (62+)
    Busch Gardens Tampa, FL: $13 off one-day tickets (50 +)
    Carmike Cinemas: 35% off (65+)
    Cinemark/Century Theaters: Up to 35% off
    Massage Envy - NYC: 20% off all "Happy Endings" (62 +)
    U.S. National Parks: $10 lifetime pass; 50% off additional services including camping (62+)
    Regal Cinemas: 50% off Ripley's Believe it or Not: @ off one-day ticket (55 +)
    SeaWorld, Orlando , FL : $3 off one-day tickets (50 +)

CELL PHONE DISCOUNTS:

AT&T: Special Senior Nation 200 Plan $19.99/month (65+)
    Jitterbug: $10/month cell phone service (50 +)
    Verizon Wireless: Verizon Nationwide 65 Plus Plan $29.99/month (65+).

MISCELLANEOUS:

Great Clips: $8 off hair cuts (60+)
    Supercuts: $8 off haircuts (60+)

NOW, go out there and claim your discounts ---- and remember ---- YOU must ASK for your discount ---- no ask, no discount. I know everyone knows someone over 50...please pass this one on!!!!!

REMEMBER TO ASK...HEY, YOU DIDN'T GET TO THESE AGES WITHOUT PAYING PLENTY OF 'DUES'...IF THEY OFFER, YOU DESERVE IT!!!

DC9 Guy

Please be a responsible emailer:

Be considerate when forwarding messages, remove names and email addresses of previous recipients and my name as sender. Another courtesy is to use Bcc: for any "bulk" e-mailings, instead of the To: or Cc: to keep our addresses private. This will help to cut down on spam and computer identity theft. Thank you.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  12. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Hey @Babs Hunt , you're just the person to ask this question. Does the railroad give senior discount?

Babs Hunt likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

yes, they do have a senior discount for both the railroad and the Greyhound bus, or at least they did have special rates for seniors the last time I was looking at that, @Ina I. Wonder .
    I just looked and they still have the discounts, it is a 15% discount for anyone over 62.
    They also used to have what was called a "companion fare", where if 2 people were traveling together, one went for half price. I am not sure if they still have that.
    Amtrak also has the most awesome plan, where you can just specify an amount of time that you want to travel, like say a 2-week trip, and you pay one fee and go anywhere you want for that amount of time.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  14. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Hi @Yvonne Smith , any from Houston, Texas to Huntsville, Alabama?

15. Yvonne Smith

Not on the train, the closest it comes to us is Birmingham. I imagine the bus would do that, since we do have a bus station here.