High Price Of Superbowl Food

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Arlene Richards, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Lara Moss and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It is a tradition for food sellers to up their price during special occasions. For me, that is understandable because they are grabbing the opportunity that's on their hands. It's something like if you don't want to buy then you go hungry and thirsty. We went to Manaoag church yesterday, it is a church in the province that is regularly visited by residents of Metro Manila because of the so called miracles. I noticed the canned soda being sold in the church patio for 40 pesos, almost double the amount of 22 pesos on regular price. I just shook my head. It's a good thing that we brought along a cooler with drinks of different kinds.

Lara Moss likes this.
  3. Arlene Richards

Registered

Guess if you can afford Super Bowl tickets you don't mind paying for snacks.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh no I think it's disgraceful....sheer opportunists...and not everyone can afford the extras just because they can afford the tickets to the venue..whether it's the superbowl or a music concert, or a family adventure park . The same thing happens here...atrocious mark up on food and snacks!!

In some places here your bag is searched to ensure you're not bringing in your own snacks and drinks..that's diabolical. Tickets for these events are already way overpriced ..and sometimes it can take a family a long time to save up to afford them, so to be penalised in this way on the cost of food and drink is IMO a disgrace!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Forgot the $15 for a beer ....:eek: ... and just what is Lobster mac & cheese??

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  6. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Since security has been stepped up in this country, you cannot go into any stadium in the US with bags or purses anymore. They stopped that some time ago.
    It's all see-thru only. The last football game I went to last November, I took a zip-lock baggy for personal stuff. That's what it's gotten down to...

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Airport food in the US isn't too much cheaper. A bottle of water is almost $4.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Basically, what I tell folks is.........welcome to 2016! A lot of folks who attend pro-games or other entertainment, can afford the food. One venue we went to, we paid $11 for a beer, but the can was definitely big enough for both of us and the box of popcorn was $8, and again, big enough for both of us. We know how much food/drink can cost when attending some type of entertainment and just pay for it. Some places of entertainment have some expensive food, but we don't get that. We are into hotdogs, burgers, fries and one soft drink, like at a zoo.

For those that don't want to afford the food, eat at Micky D's before going.

9. Arlene Richards

Registered

I haven’t gone inside a theatre to see a movie in a long time. But I never buy snacks there anymore. I take a few pieces of hard candy, mints, etc. The last time I went to movie with a friend we stopped at a drugstore to get M&Ms, etc. to munch on. I always carry a bottle of water so I’m good.

OTOH I've heard about people taking KFC, Big Macs, and cans of soda to a movie or concert. That's taking it a bit too far, imo.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Usually when going out I carry a small purse but when I go the movies I carry a big purse. I take a bottle of water and maybe some sour patch kids for myself and whatever candy my grandsons want and those we bring from home or get for $1 at Walgreens.

I do buy them a slurpee and a big popcorn to share. I ask for 2 popcorn holders though.

It's not even my money, my daughter gives me the money to take them but I can't see spending that much on junk.

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  11. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

When my grandsons were small, I used to bring popped corn in a large purse to the movies and had just my money and driver's license in my jeans pocket.

I didn't have much money in those days. I bought the tickets and large sized drinks. I don't see anything wrong with bringing any kind of food or snacks or drinks to the movies, as long as it doesn't offend others... it's not a given that the concession stands are guaranteed sales.

Chrissy Cross and Shirley Martin like this.
  12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't mind paying food vendors at special events such as fairs and festivals more for food. They only have a short time during the warm months to make a living. I don't think I can bring myself to pay $8.00 for a hotdog, though. ~~~~~ Unless maybe it had fried green peppers and onions on it.:D

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I agree, Shirley. Plus I don't think I've ever seen someone bring their own food to a fair. Their own deep fried twinkles.

14. Arlene Richards

Registered

:D:rolleyes:I remember many years ago my cousin and I went to see a movie, and sat down. Several minutes later, we heard some folks a few rows behind, and we detected the strong odor of (what smelled like) home cooked food. A quick look around and we saw they actually had plastic tupperware-like containers and were eating stuff they’d brought and (apparently) concealed in a shopping bag or whatever. We barely could contain our laughing, not to mention eye-rolling!