Have You Tasted Sweet Potato Pie

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Krissttina Isobe, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG] Sweet potato pies looks like pumpkin pies. How does sweet potato pies taste like? There was a sale on sweet potato pies at Walmart once for 3.99. Unfortunately it did not arrive in time for the sale. Guess I'll have to wait for another sale.

2. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

th.jpg ..Years ago the wife and I were shopping an we grabbed what we thought was a pumpkin pie..When we got home we sliced it up and took one bite!! Never again!!!

Krissttina Isobe and Ike Willis like this.
  3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

There's only one way to eat sweet 'taters. Cook 'em, mash 'em and cover them with a thick home made sausage gravy. Oh Momma!:)

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Sweet potatoes are delicious! Pies are flavored with nutmeg, cinnamon, and sugar. Sometimes allspice. If the consistency isn't right it's just mashed sweet potatoes in a pie shell. Firmer or thicker is better. Yams are sometimes substituted. A little darker in color than sweet potatoes and there is a different taste as well. I like to use real butter which of course makes it richer in flavor. I've found that letting the wet ingredients (eggs, milk, butter) get to room temperature before baking presents less baking time.

Sweet potato pie is my favorite dessert during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't had sweet potato pie since Friday. If you don't have a sweet potato pie recipe you can use a pumpkin pie recipe; just use sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin. The pies look and taste the same. You can also use any of the winter squashes the same way.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  6. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

I love sweet potatoes but not in a pie.

7. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Did you know that sweet potatoes or yams are extremely healthy.. Actually they are one of the healthiest vegetables there is..

I personally zap them in the microwave, mash them with butter, and that's all...
    The best part for me is eating the shell..

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I know sweet potatoes are very healthy. I don't know much about yams but I've read that they are healthy too. Besides pie I make baked sweet potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, and my wife's favorite; sweet potato cake.

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never had sweet potato pie..I eat sweet potatoes regularly, mashed, or roasted..and even last night I had Sweet Potato fries baked in the oven which is always a favourite ....but I'm not really sure I'd like SP in a Pie!!

Krissttina Isobe and Ike Willis like this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Most of us have probably never actually tasted a yam. Even though we have what are sometimes called yams here in the United States, they are actually just a different variety of sweet potato.
    True yams are native to Africa, and can grow from several lbs to over 100 lbs in weight. They are most closely related to lilies and some types of grasses.
    Sweet potatoes, on the other hand, do not get nearly that large, have a different flavor, come in many different colors, and are in the Morning Glory family of flowers.

Because sweet potatoes were similar to a yam, the early slaves brought over from Africa started calling them yams, and since there were different colors and textures of sweet potatoes, most people thought that some of them were actually yams.
    I remember asking my mother what the difference was when I was a little girl.
    She showed me some in the store that were different colors of brownish yellow, and the ones that were more orange. She thought that the ones which were yellow inside were the sweet potato, and the orange ones were yams.
    So.... I grew up thinking that I like yams better than sweet potatoes, and was surprised when I actually looked it up online and discovered that we do not grow real yams here, and even the ones in cans that say yams are really sweet potatoes.

As far as having them in pie, I think that they are delicious ! Probably, a person could substitute a sweet potato for just about any recipe that called for pumpkins, or even squash. There is not much difference in flavor, and it is certainly easier to work with a sweet potato than to cook and clean a pumpkin.

11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

That's true Yvonne. I have a Jamaican friend, and he invited me to a dinner party saying that one of the items on the menu was Yams...I was looking forward to having them thinking they were the 'sweet potatoes' I was used to because very often the stores sell Sweet potatoes labelled as Yams ..but at dinner he served up these vegetables that were a a grey /Ivory white, which looked more like turnips in shape with a very earthy taste and no sweetness to them at all , and completely different to the orange sweet potatoes I thought I was going to be getting ( my mistake of course) because this was the real YAM... I couldn't eat them , didn't like the taste at all..