Have You Read About The Great Awakenings First And Second?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Both Awakenings in England & later in the 13 U.S. Colonies were responsible for most all present day religions. Evangelicals like Ellen G. White, Joseph Smith and their visions flourished during this period. I often wonder if the world would be better off if it had just stayed asleep. As a Humanist myself, it makes no difference to me.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Obviously Christianity existed many centuries before the awakenings of the 1700's and 1800's, as did Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam.

The Christian cult religions of Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventism, and Christian Science were all divergents from the Christian religion, not responsible for it.

I know little about the two awakening movements except that several good and bad results came from it that both hurt and helped the faith. In any case, our country's founding fathers and the mainstream protestant church denominations beheld the Christian faith as the world's one and only true religion that should be revered by all. This attitude would have prevailed with or without the awakening movements.

Lon Tanner likes this.