Hard To Travel Even For Overnight

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Denise Evans, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

..because I am so locked into my routine, and all my creature-comforts :(

I think it will be good for me to go up to my "besties" house on the 22nd, but I am just getting these intrusive worries. Like, omg, I won't have my bed, I won't have all my stuff I use every day, I'll be around temporary roomies.

I try to keep thinking it will be fun, and need to enjoy just getting away, but I never lived anywhere, and alone, for so long. I guess it's kinda like "use it or lose it", and I'm so out of touch with being around others for more than maybe a half-hour, and being at home-sweet-home.

I need to do this, for one thing, told my friends I would come up. If nothing else, I suppose it will make me much more grateful for what I have, a home. I'm gonna be way out of my comfort zone, at least the one I am so used to now :(

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

So, IOW you're not a "risk" taker? I mean, there's nothing wrong with being a "home body", like my wife's brother is, but there's not much, if any, excitement/adventure being that way.

We've moved around quite a bit since we married in early 2001. So. California to Colorado to North Carolina to Florida, back to Colorado and now Nevada. Next move will be to northern Nevada.

As for "overnight stays", Yellowstone National Park, Key West (Florida), Orlando (Florida), Las Vegas (Nevada) and a few other places.

Vada Bloom and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"Anticipatory Anxiety." I know it well.

Just draw on your lifetime of experiences where you've fretted over nothing (other than to stay in practice) and the actual events went fine. You'll be OK. Maybe this break in your routine will encourage you to then go do other stuff and not permanently settle back into your current habits.

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't ever owned a car for very long, my 1995 E350 van has most of the comforts of home. A nice comfy bed, a potty, Coleman cookstove for coffee and quick food, camper battery fan, small camp heater. Room for our dogs.
    I miss my bus but the van has been good for over 21 years now, long before I had the bus. Jake keeps it in top running condition.
    Jake took the tint off windows, so he has to put that back on. His truck is our backup vehicle.
    Many old people live in less than what my van has to offer. Some live in their car

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  5. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I get it. We get used to our everyday lives. You might have a few moments when you miss the things and routine you’re used to but I think you are going to have so much fun that you’ll want to go again before long. That’s what I wish for you on this trip, Denise, a really great time. :)

6. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am very familiar with that as well, and I hate being like that.:(

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know. I think it means that we are paying attention. The world needs all types...we all contribute in one way or another.

Besides, we ain't that different. None of us knows what's really going on in the minds of others.

8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I too deal with bad times. Last few days I was feeling so bad, I thought, so this is how you feel when your approaching death. I was extra weak, dizzy, extreme muscle weakness., thought is it my heart from the Frankenstein's stents or is it my lungs from 62 years off smoking, but I also thought well 74 years is a long time for a lifetime smoker, so que sera sera..
    I woke up today feeling much better.

It also not a safe world to travel but more people get attacked in their homes than on the road.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Denise, I have that feeling before going places, too. But I didn't know it had a name until @John Brunner posted it. :) Then after I get there, I have a good time and I'm glad I went. You'll be fine.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.