Happy Songs From The Past!

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It seems like most of the modern songs are all serious ones, and some of the most modern rap-music (?) is even inciteful to racism and other unpleasant things.
    I was thinking about some of the happy little songs that we used to hear "back in the day". Most of the ones that I remember were probably from the Fifties and Sixties; but we can add any of the ones that we remember from any era here.
    I have a couple to start with, and everyone just add the ones you remember and loved.

Listening to one of these happy songs again (or even for the first time) is sure to put a smile on your face !

Krissttina Isobe and Ike Willis like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

This song was just everyone's favorite when it came out ! I remember , we just could not hear it enough, and we all went around singing it.
    I think it was probably one of the first songs that I used to sing with my kids when they were little, and they loved it, too.

Pat Baker and Ike Willis like this.
  3. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne......love these. I hadn't heard the first one, but I remember the yellow poka dot bikini.

Here is one I have always loved.

4. Lucy Brown

Lucy Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

This is a nice thread, Yvonne...love happy songs. :)

I love "Raindrops" too, Allison...:D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was a young girl when that Raindrops song became a hit in the 70s. Am I right on the decade? I remember that we had a race horse named Who Knows. And whenever it rains, our horse would have the edge and more often than not, it would win the race no matter if the odds say it couldn't. So when I hear that song Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head, it's a happy song for me unlike the story in the lyrics.

Haven't you noticed there are times that songs would dictate our moods? That's why I don't listen much to music when I am driving the car. I'd rather listen on the news station because there are times that I hear sad songs that would make me sad and I don't like that.

6. Yvonne Smith

This is a song from the early 1950's, and when I was little, it was my most favorite song ever. Patty Page was one of the most popular singers of that era, and I also enjoyed it when she sang "Tennessee Waltz".
    If you notice in the video, the little dog is a Cocker Spaniel, which was the very most popular dog at that time.

7. Corie Henson

Registered

We used to sing that in school but I really didn't appreciate it because during that time that I was in grade school, dogs don't appeal to me. I didn't have the notion that someday I would be a dog lover. That started when we had our first dog in 1996, we called her Jedi and I started to appreciate what a dog could give humans. The animal's affection penetrates the bone, so to speak. And from then on, I am now a certified dog-lover.

PS. A colleague who is a dog breeder is giving me a puppy, a pure pekingese that is worth as least $1,000. But my husband declined the offer because he reasoned that we already have 3 dogs right now and a 4th 1 is preposterous.

8. Yvonne Smith

That is so sad that your husband seems to be that mean-spirited about you having the Pekingese puppy, Corie. The smaller breeds are just such a perfect dog , especially for a lady. I have had larger breeds of dogs, and while they are also very wondrful companions, it is just not the same as having one of the very tiny ones that is easy to carry around and can snuggle up close on your lap.
    We had a Pekingese mix for many years, and she was the sweetest little dog in the world, and just extremely smart as well.
    Red was actually a designer dog. Her mom was a Pekingese, and her father was my Shorkie, Tonka. Tonka was only 4 lbs, and even though Red was a lot heavier dog (close to 10 lbs), she was small, just solid boned and muscular.
    I hope that you will decide to get the little Peke, and I am sure that you will just fall in love with it once you have one.

Corie Henson likes this.
  9. Corie Henson

Registered

@Yvonne Smith, we are certified dog lovers and we even have videos and MTVs of our dogs. And our MTVs are original songs composed by my husband. However, most of those MTVs are not in English. Although there is one song with the title May 19 which is a sad MTV, the story of our first dog when she died.

I'm sorry if I cannot contribute to this thread tody, my mood is ruined by that memory of Jedi, my beloved dog who taught me how to be a dog lover. But I promise to post something good next time.

10. Yvonne Smith

Here is another happy song from the past, and this will help you to cheer up again, @Corie Henson .
    I am sure that this would have been a big hit everywhere, just like it was here in the United States.

Ike Willis likes this.
  11. Corie Henson

Registered

Thanks, @Yvonne Smith although I don't know the song but I partly remember it was a hit when I was a little girl. I'm sure my older siblings know that song because they were teenagers during the time of rock and roll.

I remember one song that I hated, hahahaaa. When played on the radio, my older brother would sing with it and tease me that it is a good song. Maybe that's the reason why I didn't like that song. The title is Hang On Sloopy or something like that. I remember my brother would be dancing like crazy, hahahaaa.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

I remember that song, too ! While it was never a particular favorite, it was always just a cute little song.
    I found it for you. Maybe you will like it better now ?

13. Corie Henson

Registered

Gee, @Yvonne Smith, your video had struck a sentimental chord in me, huh. Yes, I am listening to the song right now with that video of the long-haired band. And you know, I feel like being transported in time, that I am that once little cute girl being pampered by her siblings and parents (I am the youngest in the brood). What more can I say but thanks a lot. For the meantime, let me dance with the refrain, hahahaaa. Nice song, really.

14. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

It's strange but don't remember any of these songs on this thread, excepting "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" that certainly has to be a 1970s hit @Corie Henson.

However my happy song for that decade was this other;

Ike Willis likes this.
  15. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

In the forties, the family would gather at grandmas and sing songs like:
    Over There
    Coming in on a Wing and a Prayer
    White Cliffs of Dover
    WhenJohnny comes Marching Home

All were mostly related to the war.