Greenstalk Garden Planter

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Beth Gallagher, Nov 21, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought the Greenstalk planter had been discussed before but I can't find any threads about it. I've been considering buying one to try; it seems like a good solution for small-space gardening. The original Greenstalk is an American-made product though there are many chinese knock-offs available now. I received a Black Friday sale email from Greenstalk and I'm tempted to buy one, though I wouldn't get to use it till spring.

Are you familiar with the Greenstalks or do you own one? I'm curious to know whether they are worth the money. It would be nice to grow stuff vertically and not have to do so much bending/kneeling in the garden. It has an interesting watering system and seems to be a workable design.

upload_2023-11-21_13-17-16.png

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Looks like it's on rollers so you could rotate it during the day in front of a sunny window.

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, for an "additional fee" you can get that roller base. :D I don't plan to use it inside the house, but on my patio next spring. I've got all I can handle inside with the Aerogardens.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a couple of them a few years ago. They worked great. I had the 10" high pot, five tier ones. Only problem was when a 70 MPH wind hit and destroyed them. I had to add extra water daily during the highest heat until I started using the pumice laced soil to retain water. Spendy stuff. The 10" five tier one takes a lot of potting soil, so one can have some serious money invested if using the top grade Miracle Grow water retention soil.

I liked the Original one because it has room for 30 plants and each slot holds 1.33 gallon potting soil which is a minimum for most standard variety vegetable plants. Smaller varieties work the best. I had one with strawberries in it and it did great.

I used my own dollies under them since I had to turn them daily to get equal sun all around.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, I decided against the Greenstalk. I want to plant larger plant varieties (squash, tomatoes, etc.) and I think those will not do well in them. I'll stick with raised beds and check on possible Black Friday sales on the Earth Boxes instead. :D

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds like a good decision to me. Raised beds with lots of soil has always worked well for me.

Beth Gallagher likes this.