Got Highest Gas Bill For January Ever In My Life

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Joy Martin, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Is CA getting the royal screws on heating costs or is it worse, Since covid, for the whole country....part of the New Reset?????? For my 700 sq ft apt and I don't keep unit on very long, $154 and to me this is HIGH......

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, that is high, Joy. We got our highest one ever as well; $168 but we have a fairly large 2-story house. Our gas bill is normally around $30 a month or so.

3. Joy Martin

Registered

That is hard to believe for a whole house....sounds like CA is getting the liberal royal screws as always...

Just wondering do you heat your whole house in the winter? I know you have a large family, are they all at home with you. I know of people who gave karge houses and close off some rooms as they don't use them, a lot of their kids are gone.

$30 sounds unbelievable, like a huge mistake...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Natural gas is our cheapest (and most plentiful) utility. I'm sure that's why the government is now trying to reduce our access to it. :rolleyes:

5. Joy Martin

Registered

Of course why do you think the push for all the electric crap...get rid of gas stoves, etc...for the environment?????? For our safety, they keep throwing out reasons why the push for electric...

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My daughter is renting my farmhouse with friends and came to me about the high electric bill. It was over $400! It is a large house with two fireplaces but I told her to call and if it was not a mistake to get on the budget program till we could do something about it. More caulking, insulation etc.
    But she checked. She got two bills for December, one was only for one week, end of year correction? Had all sorts of additions on it, basically transportation of the fuel. Wasn't it always transported?
    Same on January.???

Krystal Shay likes this.
  7. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our house is all electric, except the fireplace. Since the gov has been shutting down power plants left and right, our electric bill has doubled and then some! :mad: We keep our house fairly cool during the day,(71) and cooler at night.(68) Our house is well insulated as well so this just ticks me off. Our last bill was $539.00 for 32 days and the month before that wasn't much better. That. Is. Ridiculous! We have never had an electric bill this high, and the winter months are usually our lower months for electric rates.

Lots of neighbors have been buying large generators for fear of power outages. We have had a small gas generator for years in case power outage happens from storms and such just to keep our freezer and refrigerator powered up to keep our food cold.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Joy Martin

Registered

So this old farmhouse has a lot of electric appliances etc?

9. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’ve been really pleased with our utility costs. Our home is 3,800 sq. ft., built in 1992 and is TOTALLY electric. We are on the average payment plan and our last monthly utility bill was $154.00. We leave the thermostat at 70 degrees, year round. I think that’s probably pretty hard to beat.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  10. Joy Martin

Registered

Well glad you are happy with your electric life, I'm so happy I never had to cook on am electric stove.

pretty big house, you must have a large family.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No, just my wife and I. We stumbled on this as a pretty good deal, just a lucky break. When we bought it, it was 2,200 sq. ft. with a huge unfinished basement. We were both working at the time and decided, after a few years, to finish the entire basement. It's more than we need but has worked out well. It’s a very usable home. We looked into downsizing several years ago and just couldn't get past that it was going to cost us as much or more to build a house half the size. I think we will be here until we kick off.

Krystal Shay and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Joy Martin

Registered

Well whatever works, in my life Less is Best. One thing about America is Big, make it big, eat more, fill your plate, eat it all and live big.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

That sounds like us; we haven't had a mortgage since 2008 or so. Though this house is too big for the two of us (5 bedrooms), we raised our family here and it's "home." We like our location and our neighbors and plan to stay here till we are carried out.

Thomas Windom and Krystal Shay like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Mostly the bill is for their natural gas for heat, dryer, hot water.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So are natural gas and electric on the same bill? Ours are separate companies, so separate bills.