God's Not Dead

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Diane Lane, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Have y'all seen the movie? I've been wanting to see it for quite a while, but haven't, for various reasons. Well, this weekend, I have free Epix, and they have God's Not Dead, so I was finally able to see it. I watch some Christian movies, and some are better than others. Some are somewhat preachy, which turns me off, but this one wasn't preachy at all, and was excellent. I actually gave it 5 stars, which is pretty rare for me. Anyway, I wanted to share, in case anyone hadn't seen or heard about it. It's got good music, and several well known Christian actors, such as Dean Cain and Kevin Sorbo.

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

So it is a movie. I thought it is an article that you had read that is written by an Atheist. Like you, I do not like preachy movies and I only watch religious movies after reading the reviews. But there is one movie that I remember which I really liked. It is Oh God that starred the singer John Denver and ageless George Burns as God. It has a light and somewhat humorous theme that you would not think you are watching a movie about religion. But in the end, there is that moral lesson that would make you think.

I think it has a sequel but I don't remember the exact title. The sequel has George Burns again for the title role and a little girl as co-star. I think the catchy term was Think God or something like that.

3. Diane Lane

Registered

@Corie Henson I'd forgotten about Oh God. That was a good movie, and I think you're right, there may have been a sequel. It was probably called something original such as Oh God 2 ;). I haven't seen that in ages.

Another God movie I enjoyed was Bruce Almighty. I think preachy movies are doing themselves and the religious community a disservice, because they are a turn off to those who possibly most need to hear the message. I consider myself at least moderately religious, and they turn me off. I really liked God's Not Dead, though. I forgot to say when I was mentioning the celebrities who are in it, that Willie and Korie Robertson, from Duck Dynasty, were in the movie as well. Theirs was sort of a cameo appearance. I prefer hymns over contemporary Christian music for the most part, but I really enjoyed the music in the movie, it was by the Newsboys, which I'd never heard of before watching the movie. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsboys

Ike Willis and Corie Henson like this.
  4. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

This was a great movie and as you said it had a good message to it even if it was a comedy. Actually there were two sequels to it, the second one was appropriately entitle Oh God Book II. Then there was the third one call Oh God: You Devil, where Burns played duo roles. He played God and the Devil who were battling for someone's soul. So in the end this movie was a trilogy, as for the other film I have never heard of it, but it sounds like it could also be good. I too like movies that can have religious undertones but aren't too preachy in their content.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Same thought came to me along with the answer; "no, he is not dead but deaf."

However I'm not longer interested on watching movies regardless the topic they are about.

It has to be a very appealing story that I may see through a trailer, sneak peek or avant-premiere information to get me hooked up.

Just the sole topic of this (God) is not appealing for me to watch.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Do not confuse God with any of the people, who "play" Him. ;)

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have, on dvd, Heaven Is For Real (great movie), Courageous (great movie), The Ride (rodeo/Christian movie that is great), Son of God (simply GREAT) and, Passion Of The Christ (great as well). Wanting to see War Room and 90 Minutes In Heaven (played by the same guy who play Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars 1, 2 and 3. Have seen God Is NOT Dead and really liked it. The college student really did prove that "God is not dead!".
    Since we are Christians, we really like Christian movies.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

I haven't seen The Ride, although I want to. I had the Passion of The Christ for years before I would watch it, because I knew it would be a very emotional experience. I'll have to look for 90 Minutes in Heaven and Son of God, I don't belief I've seen them. I enjoyed The Bible series, and have the A.D. sequel on my DVR. I'm waiting until I have time to marathon it all, or until I can at least break it up into maybe 3 or 4 sections to watch. If there's too much time in between episodes, I miss too much, because my memory isn't the best these days.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The Christian movie, War Room, came out yesterday in dvd Red Box rental. When I seen it, I grabbed it. It turned out to be a very inspirational movie about marriage/family. Wife and I both had a tissue in our hand due to being quite teary-eyed. I'd definitely give the movie a two big "thumbs up".

My SIL (71) seen the movie, but since she's had problems in her marriage for at least 16 years (since I've known her) and just can't do anything about them, I really don't think she liked the movie. IOW, it's sort of about re-igniting marriage, something neither her or her husband want to do. His health is fairly bad, but doesn't want any help from her, so she is pretty much stays away from him and visits grandchildren and friends all the time. Heck, she has even taken off her wedding set!

The Christian movie, 90 Minutes In Heaven won't be out in Red Box dvd rental until Dec. 29th. Looking forward to seeing that one also.

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the info Cody, I actually went to see a movie on the big-screen a week ago, and saw Heart of the Sea. War Room sounds good, although I have a hard time with depression so try to stay with more uplifting (which I'm sure this has that in the "re-igniting" part) :)

I hadn't heard about the 90 minutes in Heaven, sounds interesting too;) denise

11. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

By the way, I thought Heart of the Sea was going to be an "all adventurous" movie, but it had some very, dark parts about our human-nous. Good flic though.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

War Room isn't depressing. Actually, it's very uplifting, to see how a couple, and their daughter, pray and ask God to help their situation. But, if a person is divorced or widowed, it could be depressing.

We have plenty of Action, Drama and Comedy dvd's in our movie collection. So, it's very uplifting to see "Christian" type movies sometimes. We seen on rental, and bought for Christmas, the movies Do You Believe and God Is Not Dead.

We loved watching Roma Downey's tv Bible series, A.D.

Joe Riley likes this.