Getting The Gardening Bug!

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Tony Page, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Received my first seed catalog from Jung, The gardening vibes are definitely starting. I ordered some vegetables seed from eBay, I received them today.
    I've been browsing and surfing for ideas On ways to start my seeds. Besides using pots or container, I have tried a different method, I would take a bag of soil/compost lay it flat, cut holes in the bag and seed or plant directly in the bag. The bag became my container. While web surfing I found Jiffy using a similar idea.

upload_2023-12-29_16-21-34.png

Here's another idem I found I thought interesting.

upload_2023-12-29_16-24-3.png

I got the bug!!!

Anybody prepping for the coming season?

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I just use my Aerogarden seed starter trays or some of these with potting soil and a grow light...

upload_2023-12-29_15-48-6.png

What are your plans for that grow tent?

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It's early yet. I'll get it around the middle of April.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

WAY too early for here. I have a few catalogs. I got my first unsolicited catalog form Seed Savers Exchange. I have gotten their catalogs before, and have ordered form them, but I have never gotten one without asking. I used to order from Jungs and Gurneys, but I don't believe either ship here now, at least they didn't the last time I tried. There are enough that do that I don't have to cater to those companies that don't cater to me. I am listed as a "pro" or a farm with many of the seed sellers, so there is little trouble with veggies. I also do a lot of seed saving of OP varieties, so I am selecting for my microclimate. I wish the USDA would develop a system of zones for annuals. The existing system works reasonably well for perennials, but it worthless for annuals.

I think I will postpone planting this year if I can make myself do it. Wife wants to go to Hawaii, and we can't do that if we have a lot of seedlings going. I am also going to start a large container garden this year as a trial. I have the perfect place--at least as perfect as it can get here. I want 20-40 large containers to see what will grow outside here is summer. I have found a bush spaghetti squash I want to try, as that is one of our big sellers when we sell plants, but have never had a bush variety before. Our greenhouses are always full all summer, so I would like to do trials. I have messed with low tunnels and high tunnels and all kinds of other things, but a large container garden is new, although container gardening per se is not. We will be able to start stuff in the containers and move outside without transplanting, so that might be the boost I need for things like melons.

5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I just put that out there for information. I'm leaning towards using the sill on my bay window to start a few plants, It faces south so it should be good.
    If I should ever do a larger garden, I might go back to a light stand that uses led's.

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

With the holidays behind and seed catalogues in the mail, an old man's fancy turns toward spring planting. I'll probably go with two grape tomato plants like last year since they were really productive to the benefit of neighbors because I could never eat them all, and they had zero signs of disease. I dug up a small area right in front of the patio where I hang out, and don't care to do more digging, so I might try a few containers. I'd like to plant one perennial too that climbs since I already have the lattice. From what I've read, it takes a few years to get established before they have flowers, so I hope I live that long to see them. :rolleyes:

7. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

What perennial are you referring to @Ed Wilson ? Tomatoes are perennial if you can keep them warm and trimmed under lights.

8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember one of the first years of my Gardening I grew a cherry sized tomato called tiny tim in a pot, At the end of the season I cut it back Refreshed the soil And put it in a sunny location. When the flowers came, I had to hand pollinate it and it worked. I got tomatoes Before the new season started.

9. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was thinking some kind of flowering plant that climbs. I tried one a few years ago but Japanese Beetles made a mess of it so I pulled it out.

10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I had trumpet vines, They were beautiful And attracted hummingbirds, However, once they got established, their runners traveled to beds were they weren't wanted.
    We had them in bed as far as thirty feet away.
    We had them planted in a location where they were surrounded by a cement patio, They traveled under the cement to reach other bed. We pulled the original plants about 4 years ago in the hope it would reduce having to weed them out of our beds. They are still popping up, we're hoping eventually we'll get them all cleaned out.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I like morning glories. You can save the seeds and put them in every year.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The doctor said he will be all right after the swelling goes down. ;):)

13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I must say, I was worried when I got an email saying my seeds had been delivered today and there was nothing in the mailbox. Hubby had brought in mail and they were not in the pile. So, I wrote an email to the company that I had not gotten them.
    Unfortunately, with the cold, hubby was bringing in Yesterday's mail and the seeds actually WERE in the box (safe) eventually, today. So I resent an email and apologized.
    I was very excited to get them as these were wild medicinal seeds and I wanted to run right out and plant them. But it is only 16 degrees today so I guess I will have to wait, just a bit.:rolleyes:

14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Morning glories used to grow wild here but so did many other natives like, Passion Flower, Dogwoods, wild plum ,etc..
    Something has happened and we don't see any of these anymore for years now they have been gone.

Tony Page likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Cleaned the snow off the little greenhouse yesterday and today, and brought in the first load of cells and flats for cleaning and planting. I will probably start onions and celery this weekend unless the grandkids come over, in which case I will defer it unto next week.