Getting Out In Nature

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Diane Lane, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm so happy it's Spring. The Winters here aren't very cold, but there are lots of dreary days, many of which are wet, so I tend to stay in more. I get out in nature more during the Spring and Fall, because the temperatures are more bearable, so I've been back out on the local trails. I love seeing the birds and other wildlife, and breathing in the fresh air.

I've got trails, the beach, and parks nearby, and I enjoy going to all of them when weather permits. What you you do for fun, relaxation, and exercise? Do you enjoy nature?

2. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

I love nature, and I love spring. So glad the dreary winter's over. There are still some dark days, but it's much better than it was. I love the days where the sun shining, & the birds singing, it's great.

I try to go for walks now and again when the weather's nice. It helps my health and it's quite the meditative experience.

Diane Lane and Ruth Belena like this.
  3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

We've gotten through the cold weather, but it's still pretty wet here. We'll get 1 or 2 beautiful days, then it rains or is overcast the rest of the week. We have so many lovely State Parks here in Tennessee, I can't wait until it dries up a little to go exploring. It's neat how each time you go to a trail, you see something new or in a different light, literally.

Here's a couple pictures of parks nearby;

burgess-falls.jpg
    rock-island.jpg

Fall Creek Falls.jpg

4. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been a nature lover all my life. It's absolutely essential for my peace of mind and I enjoy being out in all weather conditions.

There are beautiful natural views from a beach which is just a few minutes walk away from home and I often walk on a trail nearby where I see many different types of wading birds and waterfowl. I particularly like going there just after dawn in the spring. In spring and summer I hear a variety of birdsong from the bushes, trees and reeds, and I see some wonderful wild flowers, butterflies and other interesting creatures.

In the past I've always done plenty of hill walking and I've been on some expeditions into the mountains. I still like nothing better than being surrounded by nature.

Diane Lane and Mal Campbell like this.
  5. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

When we lived aboard our sailboat, there was a blue heron (which are actually much bigger up close than you would think) that would sit between two boats where we couldn't see it and wait for us to walk by. Just about the time we would get to it, it would squawk and beat it's wings a few times, take off and fly right in front of us. It never ceased to scare the daylights out of us. I'm convinced he did this on purpose, that he lay in wait for us to walk by and then laughed as he took off after seeing us jump out of our skin. :eek:

(I didn't take this picture, but the one that tormented us had that same evil look in his eye!)

Great-Blue-Heron-tarcoles_1410.jpg

When we lived in Virginia, we had a creek running through our property and we always got ducks and other waterfowl who would visit each year. It was always so uplifting to see them. They are so beautiful and graceful - as long as they are on the water. Once they leave the water, they're so awkward.

Debay (23 of 31) (199x300).jpg

Debay (19 of 31) (640x426).jpg

Ruth Belena and Diane Lane like this.
  6. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks, Mal, I love nature photography. Hopefully someday I'll have a good camera. It's rainy and storming here today, but that just means more greenery and flowers will be growing, so it doesn't bother me. I'm so glad to see other nature lovers here. I sometimes think the younger crowd is so involved with technology that they tend to forget to step away from the electronics for a change, go outside, and enjoy the scenery. I grew up in the city, but always craved nature, and took every opportunity to spend time at local parks and by the water. Where I live now, I have access to a large city, but am surrounded by nature everyday, which helps with stress.

7. Diane Lane

Registered

I was able to do a small outing to the local gully, bay, fiddler crab shrink done.JPG mimosa seed pods shrink done.JPG and park. I love seeing the egrets and herons. Today, I also saw some fiddler crabs, and the mimosa trees are gorgeous with their ferny leaves and red seedpods. It's already 80, but I wanted to get out while I could, because it's supposed to be stormy the rest of the week.

8. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of your area. It has been wet and cloudy in my area so I have not been out much yet. The Cherry Blossom Festival just passed and I missed it. It was still a little to cold to be out and about for my taste.