Generalized Gender Stereotypes. Crafting

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Kitty Carmel, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Not sure how to title this. I sometimes also watch knitting videos on You Tube. In my feed popped up some videos about men who knit so I watched several of them. There were also some videos about women teaching men to knit in prison. I have to wonder if any of them continued once released since it said this was a program for inmates close to release.

One man knitted in retirement and another started as therapy after a hand injury and he continued to knit.

I knew how to do the basic knit stitch since I was 7 or 8 and self taught myself more beginning in my 40's. It is relaxing (mistakes can be frustrating too at times) and I've often thought it's too bad more men don't do the crafts that some women do.

I know there are women who do more "masculine" hobbies and such and that may be more acceptable to some than a man doing a traditional woman's hobby.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That was interesting! He's very talented also.

I don't think I've ever known a man that knitted but ...why not!

I do wonder if he's gay though probably because I am stereotyping.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't see anything unusual here Kitty, men are wonderful tailors and cooks so why not knit me something nice :)

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

True...my husband was better at sewing than I was.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

There's not many men quite as Macho as my Younger brother..( a year younger than me)...he's not gay ... ( not that some gay men are not macho)...however he can knit...it's not a hobby of his, but he certainly can do it, because when we were children I taught him. he was the one who asked me to teach him, he was really interested in the ''mechanics' of it , so I did..

I think originally it was men who did all the knitting way back hundreds of years ago...It's possible I read it somewhere that it stemmed initially from fishermen mending nets..

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's more men...in a knitting club...

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Can not remember his name but there was a big famous football player that knitted. If women can change oil in tbe car, fight in a war...men should be able to knit in peace:)

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This all seems to be knit from a "different fabric".........
    Frank
    EDIT: At risk of "steering topic", I just thought of a performer named "fabric":

9. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Holly Saunders I had also watched the video you posted. Very diverse group of people which I liked seeing.

@Patsy Faye Certainly true about men being tailors. I didn't think of that. Yet there are many of the crafts that are not seen by some as done by men. I watched one video of a man who knit sweaters and he was afraid to say he made it if he was complimented on it.

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I think it's Rosie Greer but I thought he did needlepoint. Anyway, yes people should be able to do hobbies they enjoy without any worry.

11. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I don't know. I'm not gay and I knit. :D

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It was indeed Rosie Greer but he practiced the whole spectrum of the craft. Needle point, tatting, crocheting, knitting etc.
    It might be interesting to note that there are no machines that can replicate the art of crocheting.
    It might also be interesting to some that in the distant past, men did much of the weaving and making of cloth.
    And, although no one knows for sure who actually invented the spinning wheel, James Hargreves is credited for inventing the spinning Jenny which featured the bobbin........................:)

Hedi Mitchell and Kitty Carmel like this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting Bobby and I mean that most sincerely :)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

At first glance it does kind of startle one to see those men knitting but all of us should be able to do any hobby we enjoy without it being labeled only for women...or only for men.

15. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I've actually wondered who picked up the first sticks, some kind of long skinny fiber and started the first knitting stitches. I've also wondered who ever took the first shell or rock with a hole and found something and hung it around their neck as jewelry. Some say men invented knitting but I don't know if that is true.

@Babs Hunt Knitting is very relaxing (until you make that mistake and want to scream!) but for the most part it is. It's something to escape into like a book and it's good to know it's there.