Game-changing Technology

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

The digital technology has drastically changed our life and is still a work in progress. The pace of innovation and development is so fast that some people are left behind. And it's worse for those who cannot accept the paradigm shift to the digital world.

Do you still buy newspaper? The major dailies have their online edition so you can browse in the internet and save yourself from the expense. Even libraries are a-changing, with the usual books, there is now a matching laptop or tablet that is the medium used for reading the digital version of books.

How did technology affect your life?

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Like a carving knife, there are those who ride the cutting edge of technology, and the rest are content to hang on to what is older. It has always been this way. I am content to be part of the knife.
    [​IMG]

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm all for it, though I'm not fond of just learning something than a newer version is out but I'm pretty quick learning it so not too bad.

I hated newspapers. Big and awkward to read at the table, hands got dirty, then you had to throw it out, cancel if going on vacation....just a big hassle.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There was a time when I subscribed to three newspapers at the same time. In recent years, I rarely buy a newspaper and haven't subscribed to a newspaper since the 1980s. Sometimes I'll buy a one if I am eating alone in a restaurant, and forgot to bring my Kindle, but I don't think I'm likely to keep any newspaper in publication. I do subscribe to a few magazines that I read and enjoy -- The New American, Reminiscence, Good Old Days, Backwoods Home, and Self Reliance. Some, perhaps even all, of these are available online or in Kindle format, but I prefer the printed version. I subscribed to Mother Earth News for many years but, for quite some time now, they have been catering to a wealthier class of people that don't interest me.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Magazines are just a mailbox filler for me and become a problem when I travel. Shorter trips I don't want to do a hold on my mail so I don't need magazines filling up my mailbox.

Bad enough I get the sale flyers from stores. Is there a way to stop those?

@Ken Anderson, are you on backwoods forum also? I was a member there maybe 8 years ago, wonder if I'm still on their member list. I've tried to sign in but don't remember my password and the email I used I don't have anymore.

Username was Dandelion I think.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's been a few years since I've logged in so I don't know if my account is still active. I keep meaning to because I did enjoy the forum.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I joined after a huge forum just dropped into thin air, no warning but it was because it was getting nasty with politics.

A few of us joined there but basically to bug the liberals we hated on the other forum. I remember Johnny Pine was
    Our enemy.

There was one other very liberal member there that I didn't know but he was always being nasty and he was in the minority there but he was a constant source of aggravation for many.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

This was the forum that so many I know started from. Think I joined in 2004 but it was already a busy forum.

It was very different to anything today. Parts of it are still active but not the discussion board. I was once able to a access the archives but never able to again.

http://wiredseniors.com