Full Solar Eclipse Seen From United States Next Summer

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I know that this is really early, we are just finishing up with summer and starting into colder winter days; but I just found this article tonight and wanted to share it, even if it is a long time before the eclipse happens.
    This is the first one that is a total eclipse and is visible across the United States in almost 100 years according to the article from the Washington Post.
    The eclipse will be next August 21st, and will be visible starting in Oregon around 10AM, and then on across the US as the day continues.
    I am sure we will be hearing more about this as we get closer to the event; but here is some interesting information about what is expected to happen.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...d2-11e6-9c85-ac42097b8cc0_story.html#comments

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

We experienced one in the Chicago area when I was in my late teens. Advice was given to not view it using darkened glass, not even Welder's glass. Of course, realizing by then that the Sun's light was nowhere near as intense as that of an arc welder, we all took turns looking through my #12 welding glass.

Looked pretty neat! But, not as bright through that glass, as the arc, as expected.

Frasnk

Yvonne Smith likes this.