From A Wide Spot In The Road

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Granddaughter is very pretty, such a good painting - she is indeed lucky to be going to Italy
    Wishing her a grand time and a bright future :)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow! Not too good at playing Devil's Advocate either. In this republican controlled
    state the liberal news is reporting OKC is flooding after receiving six inches of rain
    in an hour. I hope that heavy stuff stays up north

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Registered

I have a back yard full of birds.
    I pitched out some seed. Hope
    the hungry hawk don't come around

4. Bill Boggs

Registered

For several years I have been reading two or three Chinese newspapers/english edition.
    I also read German papers, Deutsche Welle and der Spiegel International/english editions.
    Once in a while I read the German Local. I also read Spanish and Italian papers and try to
    keep up occasionally with what's happening in the French news. Of late since the
    trade war has gotten serious with China, these newspapers are not available on the Net.
    I guess the Chinese are ticked off at us. The last I read they told their people not to go to
    the United States and if they do to be extremely careful because it is easy to get into trouble
    in the US and police killings are frequent. Of course the papers could open up at any time.
    I never find any useful information but they are sometime interesting because they manufacture
    so much stuff for the US. I just thought it curious I can no longer their papers.

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

I have an interest in German politics. I am a long time admirer of Angela Merkle. Not only
    because she has been Chancerller of Germany for several terms but Germany has twice
    risen from the ash heap after world wars to again become a world player and a force in
    Europe. Merkle has played a hand in making Germany what it is today. What is Germany's
    destiny? Who knows? Will 2021 be the end of Merkle's public life. It has been rumered she
    would have a part in the European Union from Brussels. She denies such a move but what
    else can politicians do. Angela Merkle is a smart woman, well educated, and still young
    enough to do good things in Europe. I wish her well as she loosens the reins of power in
    Germany and hope she finds another niche. By the way, my grandson is going to Germany
    to study this summer. He is an Math and Economics major and will be working on his math
    after which he will spend a week or so roaming about the country.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Registered

We'll always have defenders of the Faith and defenders of the respective political parties in the USA.
    In my opinion neither political party is entirely right or wrong. I have liked a number of US Presidents.
    I was proud when Barack Obama was elected. I thought at the time it gave many people in this
    country a bit of hope. I was a Bill Clinton fan, a Ronald Reagan fan, a Johnson fan, an Eisenhour fan
    and I'm sure I would have been a Kennedy fan. I think of all the men who have been president in my
    life time, no one could beat Franklin Roosevelt. But as a man, I like Obama as well or better than any
    of them. Who would I liked to have dinner with and well chew the fat for a little while? Obama hands
    down. He seemed gentil, capable of shooting the breeze with anyone whether royalty or some old
    guy like myself. He was a good'un in my estimation. Now I don't expect anyone to agree with me on
    much of anything and I'm not looking for agreement or comment just stating an opinion that I liked
    this man, Barack Obama. I wish him and his family well.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Bill Boggs

Registered

Well it is time to put the horses in the carrol, clean the mud off my boots and think about
    a little super. I've been charged by my doctor to get my weight down and my blood sugar
    under control. That now takes some thought and real work. Adios.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't have anything to add to it, @Bill Boggs, but I am enjoying your thread.

Bill Boggs and Shirley Martin like this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Me, too. I don't always agree but I am enjoying reading it. ;):)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks.

11. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

What, no thanks for me??????? :mad::mad::mad::mad::D

OK, that's much better.:p

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

I need to lose some weight and get my blood sugar down a little. My doctor called the other morning,
    said I needed to work on this; 200 to 300 was too high for some one with heart trouble and
    two or three other minor ailments. So I'm going to try to get myself ship shape and down to a good
    fighting weight. Won't be easy. Losing weight has always been difficult for me. Blood sugar? Well, that's
    another hard one. Why? Bread has been my down fall. I love good breads. I have spent the better part
    of two days looking for a friendly diabetic bread. I did try some sourdough bread. Some say if sourdough
    is made right with the wild dough, it does not cause a blood sugar boost. I'm also looking a some whole
    wheat stuff which never tasted good to me, some rye breads, and looking for a good flaxseed bread or
    preferable madewith flaxseed flour. I can give up a lot of stuff but bread is the hardest. And it's fair to say
    I don't eat enough veggies. Ugh. Will try to improve on that also.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill, there are low-carb breads and tortillas. Granted, they are not as wonderful as the real deal, but they are acceptable occasionally. Also, if you eat a type of fat along with carbs (such as butter on the bread), the carbs are not absorbed as readily.

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks. I'm checking out the breads. Will check out the low carbs.

Beth Gallagher likes this.