Fresh Picked Green Beans

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Von Jones, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I always buy my green beans canned and my DIL gave me a bunch and said there is more if I want them. I do love green beans so these will be a special treat for me since Johnny doesn't like green beans.

I know I must wash them first but what do I do after that? :oops: Okay, anyone interested in helping me with tips or advice for these fresh picked green beans, please do. Fresh picked green beans 001.jpg

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

These green beans are actually PEAS, @Von Jones !
    If you pop them open, you will see the peas inside. If they are skinny pods (undeveloped peas), you can use the whole thing in something like a stir fry, but if the peas are developed and the pods are fat, then they are tough and stringy to eat the whole pod, and you have to just shel out the peas and cook those.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

PEAS?:eek: Some gardener I would make, huh?:oops::D

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks @Yvonne Smith. They are fully grown. What am I going to do with all these pea pods? Will squirrels and birds eat them? Jeez...:confused:

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

There is a good chance that squirrels might eat them, but I do not really know if they will or not. However, the pea pods will make good compost. If you have a compost pile, you can put them in that, and if not, you can put them around your flowers outside.
    I either dig a little hole beside the plant and bury scraps, or put it through a blender with water, and then pour it along side of the plant.
    They will turn into fertilizer for your plants.

Maggie Rose, Von Jones and Nancy Hart like this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Way too many peas but I did shell some. Now I'm ready to cook me some peas for dinner. I'm having a problem though finding out just how to cook them.

Anyone ever cooked peas straight from the garden? These are firm, do you boil them in water to get them tender? Most of the recipes I have read are for cooking frozen peas, not helpful especially adding the mint.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

It must be nice to get fresh veggies like that. I've grown tomatoes and various peppers, but never beans or peas.

>I just read one website that said to get a pot of salted water boiling and to look them for 8-10 minutes...they are not as fragile as they look. But because quality and specific plants are all different, check them after 5 minutes.

>But another website said to cook 60 seconds, and they'll rise to the top when done!!!

>And just to mess with our heads, another website said to put the peas in the cold water, bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 5-6 minutes.

So there's you're answer...put them in boiling water and test every 60 seconds.

ps: You are welcome for what I just did for you. These people have to blather on and on and on about the peas they had when they were kids, how they could always feel them under the mattress so they must be a princess, and how the world ain't what it used to be before they get to the daggone point on how to cook peas!!!

Maggie Rose and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Too funny. You must have looked at some of the websites I checked out. So I just went old school and cooked them in butter, real butter with a little bit of sugar. I'll let them cook until I can do the smash test. :D

9. John Brunner

Real butter!!! That's the way to go!

I love peas. I always have. Even as a kid.
    And as you said, the universal recipe is "Cook 'em until they're done."

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I just ate my first spoonful of home cooked fresh garden peas...

[​IMG]

11. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Congratulations Von ! Did you enjoy them?

I love to eat the peas raw fresh from the garden. They are so sweet.

Cooking them .. try steaming. If you simmer or boil them just be sure not to cook them so long they lose their bright green colors.

You can freeze them very successfully.

Remove them from the pods ... drop them into a freezer bag and pop them into the freezer. They keep for a very long time. When you have a recipe that you want jazz up a bit .. reach into your bag of frozen peas and toss a few into your recipe !

I have to tell you I am jealous of your fresh peas !

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I just learned my first mistake.

Hmmm, did I enjoy them or that one spoonful, (chuckle, chuckle)? It didn't taste bad but I knew I didn't cook them right.

13. John Brunner

@Maggie Mae
    Did you not look at the picture she posted? I'm laughing my butt off right now!!!

@Von Jones
    What happened? Heck, you even put sugar on them!! I only do that with greens. One of those "Let me tell you my life story" recipe diatribes said her kids would eat them right out of the pod!!! Maybe we were all wrong. Did they taste like undercooked green beans? ;)

Maggie Rose and Von Jones like this.
  14. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Haha .. yes .. I saw that face and it was priceless !

Well Von .. trial and error .. best way to learn!

Try a couple raw and see how you like them. When we grow peas most of them are for snacking in the garden .. even my dogs like to help eat them LOL

Peas aren't for everyone. If you are not enjoying them as a side dish try tossing a few into your next casserole or stew or pot pie. It won't take many to give a nice extra little bit of flavor.

When all else fails .. dry them and give them away to someone to plant for next season !

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'm not a big fan of peas, although I can eat them. When I grow my own peas, I like harvesting them when they are young and tender and cook them in the pod, like green beans. In fact, they taste good raw.

Maggie Rose and Maggie Mae like this.