Forum Relationships, Truly Having Online Friends & The Opposite?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Denise Evans, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

okay..all I can say is I wouldn't knowingly say anything to insult anyone. It's strange, though. How some people think it's very cool to insult a nationality...most pointedly American "Americans are all idiots..uneducated..stupid.." Well, the list goes on. It's like ridiculous to me to insult on that basis..but it's totally acceptable and PC to soo many people who scream "hate crime" when someone does or says something not on the "okay list".

I love America but If I say I do I'm being too patriotic. I have no idea why that bothers anyone. Lol..am I supposed to say..oh I apologize for my government and all the Americans you don't like and I'm sorry I was ever born..lol
    I fail to see tolerance in obvious insults. Americans aren't perfect..okay agreed..but name a nationality that is...oh yours is...hmm..is that right..lol

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never heard of oriental being offensive, but then I am probably decades behind with the PC rules, there are some differences between the attitude in the US and the UK

A couple of quotes:

Because of historical discrimination against Chinese and Japanese, in some parts of the United States, some people consider the term derogatory. For example, Washington state prohibits the word "Oriental" in legislation and government documents, preferring the word "Asian" instead

It should be pointed out that not all Chinese/SE Asian folk consider it offensive as such, more old-fashioned - it's certainly a matter of debate.
    In Britain, the word is still used as a generic term to describe Chinese/SE Asian folk, mostly because the word Asian in the UK is used to describe Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi folk.

3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Karen McKenzie

Registered

Haha..I agree. I looked up "white people" and oh my. Mea culpa for using it..but the same basic trend towards dislike of the term used in regards to people is reflected in Wiki and Merriam-Webster. hey, this is all news to me too..

Sifu Phil Bonifonte likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Personally, I'm more afraid of the nuts that have been raised right here in the US and are "white as snow", than I am someone of a different decent/nationality/color, whatever.

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Karen McKenzie

Registered

I agree about the "sample" sentence the word looks offensive because the SENTENCE is offensive..lo

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  7. Terry Page

Registered

Yes I hear that about various nationalities, and feel because America is a superpower and is always in the news, people will make more judgements, than say Finland or Portugal because we don't hear much about them in the news.
    I ignore these stereotypes as in my opinion as individuals we are all pretty much the same, we have some good points and some bad.

In saying that of course the UK is a more or less perfect example of democracy full of well balanced intelligent caring people, and we have a pretty flag ;):D:D:D

8. Karen McKenzie

Registered

I love the Union Jack..and I love UK...but listen..I'm easy... I also love Finland, Russia, China...stop me ok..lol

9. Terry Page

Registered

When I spent a month touring the west coast of America some years ago, I went there with all the stereotype conditioning about America that I had received since childhood imprinted on my brain, but as I met people there I became entranced with the place, everybody was friendly and helpful, I spent time with locals and New Yorkers in bars and liked them all, I even considered living there for a few months a year. Though this was only a holiday experience, this proved to me once and for all that stereotypes are at an individual level nonsense.
    Governments of course are a completely different kettle of fish. :eek:

10. Karen McKenzie

Registered

I agree about the governments..I'm not personally responsible for it..lol..I know my vote counts.but not that much. :). I think I do feel a level of kinship with UK because it's my ethnic heritage and our shared experiences.. I see Canada as a friendly neighbor and I also love Mexico despite the government and border problems.

Stereotypes are dangerous in some ways..it's no way to write off any group..including white people :). Quite honestly, Terry, I think sometimes people find what they are looking for when it comes to other countries. I had a real fascination with two countries for years..Russia and China..but I honestly do have real interest in all countries. I think in some ways the Internet has allowed us to see that even though we may seem "different"..in the end we're all just very human.

Holly Saunders and Terry Page like this.
  11. Terry Page

Registered

Yes Karen tha
    Yes Karen that is another topic in it's own right and close to my heart, I have been to India many times and both my daughters have as well, we all experienced a country of colour, chaos, scents and mystery and fell in love with the place. Yet I have friends who have been there and experienced squalor, poverty cheating and all things negative, as you say you create your own experience of a country......or pretty much anything else in life in my opinion.

Karen McKenzie likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Page : I had no doubt that it DID have a lot to do with it. Coupled with my request to discuss things "up-front", man to man, it represented a breach of the "policy" which states Moderators' opinions and decisions are not to be discussed, at all. Then, add a big dose of Ego-centrism", and........GONE!

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Are you going to the Oriental market?"

How can one know decisively that this question does not imply the market owned by an "Oriental"? See, interpretation is always open, and bottom line is, one's opinion is of no more or less value than another's. For the record, I was "cut-down" on a number of issues, and quite often. One was ownership of a (shudder, quaking" GUN. Political "loyalty" was another, despite my often-stated stand of not being supportive of either major Party.

Edit: I cannot emphasize enough, how "cleansing" of the mind this opportunity has been to set my personal record straight!

14. Terry Page

Registered

Yes I experienced that Frank, when I queried a decision to reinstate a banned troublemaker, I received a curt reply to the effect that I didn't know all the circumstances so don't query their decision. Funnily enough the troublemaker was eventually banned for a second time permanently :rolleyes:

Chrissy Cross and Denise Evans like this.
  15. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

No, it's not a joke. Frank was banned for using it. I used it a few months ago and someone told me (a family member) I could only use Oriental if I'm talking about a place, otherwise it's Asian. The same person also told me it's now called "Spousal Support" and not "Alimony" but with that one I don't care. I think both ways are OK. I did tell Frank he should have used Spousal Support recently. I was teasing him because I knew why he was banned over there, but someone else on the forum thought I was serious and said the S.S. still uses Alimony and yes, they do. I don't believe in either one, but I guess that subject is for another thread. :)