Forgotten Apps

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Bobby Cole, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Apps. Short for applications.
    There’s the good, bad, everyday, some days, average and even remote apps but what of the poor forgotten apps?

I have spread sheet, translation, games, word, work order, receipt, photo and calendar apps. I also have weather, a couple of news, movie, travel, music, and all kinds of heath apps.

I haven’t even counted the number of applications on my watch, IPads, Mac, phone and workout thingy because, well, they’re apps. Why count them? If it doesn’t seem like enough, add another one or if I think I have too many, I subtract a few.

Yesterday though, whilst admiring all the applications displayed on my screen, I discovered an app I had forgotten that I have and as a matter of fact, didn’t know I even put it there.
    It kinda looked like, well yeah, it DOES look like a magnifying glass! Should I push the button? Why not, says I, it’s an app!
    So I clicked on the button and low and behold, everything on my table in front of the Ipad was magnified!
    There’s the wood putty, the key to the rat poison thing, eye glass cleaner, a couple of keys, more stuff and ….a bug. Yup, a real live bug making it’s way through the jungle of junk I keep on my porch table and all magnified so I can readily see that my table is a bigger mess than it was 1 minute prior to clicking on the button!

So…should I keep the magnifier? Never know when I will need one so sure…....it’s an app!!

Did ya’ll forget one? Forgotten apps need a little love too…..

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I have numerous ones on my iPhone 12 and desktop, from weather/news here where we live and from Wyoming. Bleacher Report for all of my favorite teams. Pro Rodeo app. iTunes. Cowboy Channel and others. I will often go into App Store/Personal and see if there are any updates to the ones I have on iPhone 12.

And, since I'm my wife's computer/iPhone "tech", I will check her iPhone out also for updates.

Lois Winters and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm picky with what I install on my laptop and my cell phone. When I got my first computer, I'd install anything that anyone would slip me on a floppy (remember those days of "It's not really stealing"?)...but that was before the Internet.

Regarding my laptop, other than Microsoft Office stuff, I might have a couple of graphics utilities I've bought, and the rest of what I've installed has been security software (anti-virus, anti-malware.)

Regarding my cellphones, the only app I've ever downloaded is the Walmart app ...and I only installed that after moving here because they're the only store in town and it's real handy to use while shopping. Other than that, all these years & years of cellphone ownership have been app-less (except for what's pre-loaded.) Early on, I got angry when I found a bird watching app I would have loved to have, and read that it has the rights to access my texts, my Contact List, and a ton of other stuff (yeh, I read that kind of stuff.) The "free" app is just bait to permit eavesdropping. All apps are like that. I don't even consider installing any apps on my phone...I've yet to read the rights to any that don't stake out hyper-intrusiveness as part of the Terms of Use.

Signed,

App Curmudgeon
    (aka Nuthin' To Hide But It's Nunyaz)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  4. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

DOS apps which I still have......Geoworks.......DOS 6.2.2..........Lotus 1-2-3......LYNX web browser
    IBM Deskmate just a few I still have in my dos box. I have several hundred CDs which I don't feel up to spreading out on my desk. All my old 51/4 floppies were lost in a fire along with my first Tandy.

5. John Brunner

That DOS 6.2 was the O/S for Windows 3.x, wasn't it?

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I estimate that about half of these are ones that I haven't used in a long time, and more than a few are ones that I've never used.

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 10.11.58 PM.png

That's my Mini Mac. I have very few apps on my iPhone beyond the ones that came with it.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a lot of apps on my iPad that we use when RVing... campgrounds, locations of fuel stops, rest areas ahead, and trucking route maps (some cities are easier to bypass than to drive through). They aren't "forgotten," but we seldom use them. Other than those I don't have many apps, games, etc. My most used app is probably the Kindle app.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The one that has definitely not been forgotten and I truly miss the most is…….(sniff) Windows 98 Defrag.

Note: I’m pretty sure I submitted this video once before somewhere.

9. John Brunner

I loved MemMaker in DOS 6.x

Most restarts were required because of poor memory allocation. MemMaker was a tool for the user to customize memory allocation to the amount of memory in their specific system. You could allocate specific amounts (and locations) of RAM to specific tasks. For example, you have device drivers load in Upper Memory so your Base Memory was available to the CPU to speed things up. You allocated an amount of Shadow RAM for basic O/S stuff to load into because it also sped the system up.

Side note: Back in the day, there was an industry trade rag that had an insider's column written by someone whose nom de plume was "Shadow Ram." That's there you got the scoop on what developers and manufacturers were working on, when they were gonna release stuff, in what ways Bill Gates was gonna steal the look & feel of the Mac O/S (Windows was pilfered), the early "Look & Feel" lawsuits, etc.

The column had an image that kinda looked like this:

[​IMG]

Fun times.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Lois Winters and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Apps? We don't need no stinkin' apps!

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Windows Defrag and MemMaker were both iconic apps. I was never sure that Defrag was actually doing anything but it made for good eye candy.

Here's an app that I miss - Mapkin was a better GPS app than the one I have now.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

On my phone have ten I downloaded. Like Bank, grocery, things i use a lot. Two are games.
    On my laptop maybe 3 added ones - virus protection, a game and password manager.
    I just have no use for a lot of useless items.Plus the new Samsung phone has way too much crap on it already- some i have deleted. My laptop desktop has four icons.. phone has many more.

13. John Brunner

Here's a pic of an Apple Watch:

[​IMG]

You see the small ones at the edges? That mean that there are more of them off-screen. Whatever direction you swipe, there are more icons.

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

too busy looking for me :)

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

I got no idea what most of them do. I've yet to clean it up because I'm afraid I may want one back and forget how to reinstall it.