First Millennial Saint (pope & Bishops Deciding)

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Joy Martin, May 24, 2024.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I believe three documented miracles are needed, but, of course all saints didn't die centuries ago. Both JPII and Mother Teresa are saints and both died within the past two decades.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My cynical side says that one reason might be to bring younger folks into the church. Give them a saint they can relate to.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

oh good lord, parents trying to get their kids to a church and not be strapped to a machine.............YUK...

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In no way am I slamming Catholics but the Biblical narrative of the word, “Saint” is far from the Roman Catholic use of it.
    Biblically, a saint is ANYONE who has received Jesus Christ is a saint. “Follower of Christ” is just as appropriate as using Saint to describe a Christian.

So far as the article goes, I like it.
    Most of the time there are articles written about someone who is up in their years which is hard for someone much younger to relate to. (piggy backing on @John Brunner’s post #3)
    The article is about the journey of a young lad to a man who, above all else, loved the Lord and wanted to be the very best child of God he could be.
    There are only a couple of spots where the author referred to sainthood and the majority of the story is one that I think every believing Christian whether a millennial, gen x or z or whatever should read.

Nowhere in the article does it say that he wanted to be “special” or “revered” or after death, prayed to as a Catholic saint would be.
    He was strong in his faith but meek as a person. He displayed that special something; that need as it were, to be close to the Father.

In short, the article should inspire our young men and women to want what Carlo had; faith, love, humility and the need to fellowship with Jesus.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As I understand the Catholic stand on sainthood, a saint is anyone who has attained heaven. The Church names saints who, through their process, it is certain have attained that status. The named saints are by no means all those in heaven, but they are the ones the Church hierarchy is sure are in heaven.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

It is interesting that there was a mass baptism in California recently. A lot of people are lost without purpose and are starting to see how upside down the world is. If there is no purpose from within and no purpose from without, what to do. Fortunately to truly realize you are not alone and that someone gave his all for you already so you are safe is a good way to go.
    Saints are good too.:rolleyes:

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Kinda relieves God of all that bookwork.:rolleyes:

Don Alaska likes this.