Fear Of Technology

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe I'm pretty tech-savvy but... I'm always trying to figure out ways to integrate the old with the new.:rolleyes: There are so many gadgets available that I get into that 'I wonder if' mode.

My most recent tech venture was trying to get my DVD player with wi-fi capabilities to work upstairs so that I can watch Netflix and VUDU. Woe is me, if I only had read the instructions first I wouldn't have been so frustrated. A router was required. Do you know how much those things cost?! Luckily on my weekly trip to the flea market a lady was selling all kinds of electronics from power cords to remote controls. I rummaged through the tubs and found a router with wi-fi capability for $1.00 :D. I had already researched on YouTube on what to do but no internet. I thought 'What the heck?' Back online to check out the specs for the router and everything was working as it should so, 'What the heck was wrong?' I pondered on this for about a week and went into my 'attack mode'. I'm going to get this to work today. I unplugged the router and remove the phone cord - which I thought I needed. 'Hmmm, maybe I don't need that.' So I didn't plug that back in and 'Viola!!!' Now have internet and can watch Netflix and VUDU. I'm a happy camper:)

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, technology can be baffling at times..but usually it can be solved through a trial and error method. I same the same issues with Netflix and my kindle. Finally just an uninstall, reinstall and sync fixed the issue. but this was a frustration for quite a while. When something works fine and suddenly stops..you never know why, and the techs never seem to have any good answers. Congrats on the Router deal Von!!! WTG!!!! I have a spare router,,,just in case mine decided to go kaput someday!:D:)

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

For me, it's not fear, it's more a lack of interest. If I don't see what the device or technology can contribute to my life, I have no reason to delve into researching it or wondering if I need it. I was more interested in new devices when I had money to spare, but right now, I try to make what I have work the best it can for what I need, and forget about the rest. As mentioned above, some of the devices do way more than I need, and I prefer less bells and whistles, since it means less to go wrong with the device, whether it's a computer, a phone or a vehicle.

4. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Even though i am a novice to many aspects of modern technology, I took the plunge and joined the 21st century and bought a high tech phone. I am taking my time learning all of the functions. I am trying not to feel bad that it doesn't come quickly for me.

Frank Sanoica likes this.