Farmers To Families Food Boxes

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Yvonne Smith, May 11, 2020.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Our president has started a new program, that I think should help a lot of people who are struggling through this time of unemployment and job losses, not to mention food shortages.
    President Trump just announced a new USDA food program called “Farmers to Families Food Boxes”, and what it is going to do is help both the American farmer, as well as the American people.

Recently, we were told that because of excessive virus cases suddenly happening in the meat processing plants (at the same time that Bill Gates is promoting his fake meat , by the way), that they are closing down.
    This led to panic buying of meat and some places apparently had meat at up to $60 a lb, from some of the pictures that I saw posted online.

Meanwhile, for the last month or more, our farmers and ranchers have been having to literally destroy their crops or leave it to rot, depending on what they were raising.
    Some farmers have started selling directly to the public, which is how things used to work, back in the days when I was younger.

So, now, the president has actually started a program that should help both the farmers, and the people who have not had money for enough food.
    The government is going to purchase produce and livestock, and other food commodities and will distribute them in food boxes to the churches, food banks, and other charities that help low income people.

I remember that we used to have a program like this, back in the 1950’s and 1960’s, and it was called “commodities”.
    They handed out boxes to families that contained things like flour, sugar, corn meal, powdered milk and eggs, lard, cans of beef , pork and chicken, and a large brick of cheddar cheese.

Any low income people were eligible to get this, and “commodity day” was a big thing in every town. While it appears this will be set up a little differently, it is still the same kind of basic idea, and I think that it is a good thing that the president is doing.

Here is a link to the farmers website that explains in detail how this will work.

https://www.agdaily.com/news/usda-1-billion-farmers-families-food-box/

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Why do you set the praise for Trump?. Many others were responsible for this program. Only thing he did was not stand in the way and put his signature on the authorization. Congress is the Only federal body that can authorize spending.
    If you will notice, his name does not appear in the article at all.
    You are anxious to lavish praise upon this guy, are you as eager to assign him any blame?

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, without going "political"...…...a huge "Thank You" to all of the farmers and ranchers! However, I'll always praising famers and ranchers anyway. LOL

Then there is an old friend of my wife who has stated to me before, "I see no reason to even have farmers and ranches anymore. I don't eat any of their meat and see no need to eat their crummy meat anyway." As for myself, I never got along with this lady!

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Tell me Pete. Who is accredited the wins and losses in a baseball or a football game? The pitcher, quarterback or the team?

I have noticed that recently you have been following around a couple of people and have been busy working your usual sarcastic ire upon those who enjoy what the President has been doing.
    Allow me to reverse the question you asked Yvonne. Are you as eager to assign the President with the kudos he deserves when he is right?
    If President Trump were to lead the way to a cure for cancer, you would still find fault with him.

To me, the food program is an extension of the present U.S.D.A. program and yes, a relighting of the old commodities program which led the way to WIC. For the President to see that it will help with the present debacle and sign a bill that will allow full public access to the program is a winner.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  5. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Bobby, you are absolutely correct in one thing. The only thing the man could do to make me happy would be to resign or die. Plain and simple!

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sad. Very sad.
    As much as I disliked your buddy Obama and his cohorts, I have never wished death on anyone.
    (Vietnam era excluded)

Tom Galty and Cody Fousnaugh like this.