Exercise Trikes For Seniors

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

HEY, I've been riding bicycles for 73 years, but at age 82, I don't feel as steady and stable as before.

I cant ride in a perfectly straight line, and it's beginning to feel like I felt in 1945, when I first started on a 2-wheeler...wobbly!

I'm looking online at several different makes and types of Trikes, and I even tried one yesterday.

It felt strange not being able to lean into the turns because of the 3-wheel footprint!

There are the conventional designs with 2 rear wheels, pedals and chain, and a steerable front wheel, just like a 2-wheeler.

Then there are the recumbent designs, with the front wheel being pedaled directly (no chain) and the rear wheels being steered by vertical "tillers" for each hand.

You're back is in about a 45 degree position, with your legs pumping forward. This gives the trike a very low center of gravity.

I'm going to try the recumbent next.

Here's a shot of the 2-wheel recumbent I used to have:

Hal
    401.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Ken Anderson and Bill Boggs like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

One of my nearby neighbours has ridden an adult trike for as long as I've known her, probably since her 20's. She simply doesn't have the balance for a 2 wheeler, and she rides that bike almost everywhere. Similar to this one which is a fold down model....

[​IMG]

Hedi Mitchell and Bill Boggs like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here's the one I want.
    Indian Trike - motorcycle-74.blogdpot.com (1).jpg

4. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

My mother had one of these but she always had trouble finding a riding companion.

[​IMG]

This is more my speed!

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

This is just about the coolest thing I've seen! What a fun way to get some exercise.

Chrissy Cross and Babs Hunt like this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That's what I call the Beer Mobile! :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

With the way people drive here, we wouldn't dare ride any kind bicycle around here. There are other ways to get exercise for us......Wii Game, our boat, going to the range and...……..shopping.

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

fdff1ac4ff0d4369411bfc21b4415fe0.jpg

This would be a good one for my Honey and me. Thanks for sharing this pic @Beatrice Taylor. He may be losing his vision but he can still pedal. :)

We could ride it in our neighborhood but our City definitely isn't set up well for bike riders...although it has been making improvements in that area.

9. Hal Pollner

Registered

Here's the Recumbent Trike I'm Ordering:

You will note that instead of sitting on a bicycle seat, you sit in an adjustable reclining chair with lumbar support, and the pedaling direction is more forward than downward.

The machine has a 21-speed derailleur, a rear disc brake, and a front caliper brake.

The low center of gravity and the 3-wheel footprint provides much more stability for an elderly rider like myself!

Hal sun-ez3-trike-lg.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Three years ago I took my last bike rides. I could ride alright and did ride three quarters of a mile but the first slightest rise I eccountered I ran out of oxygen and could peddle no longer. I rested about ten minutes until I got to breathing regular again and pushed it home stopping along the way to rest. A week or so later I decided that first ride was a fluke and I'd try it again. My lungs ran out of oxygen from the exercise. I took a good long breather and rode back home completely out of breath again. I tried one other time and gasping for breath I ran out in front of a car. Fortunently the lady in the car had much more control than I did. Even though I rode with a portable oxygen tank strapped on behind me I used up more oxygen than I could absorb. So my riding days are over. I tried a three wheeler but it is harder for me than a two wheeler, maybe because of the extra weight. It's harder for me to handle a rise in elevation but @Hal Pollner, it is possible I could give you a run for your money on that pool table.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  11. Hal Pollner

Registered

@Bill, it's not only possible, but it's probable that you could skunk me in a game of Billiards!

The only person I can beat regularly is my Wife!

Hal

Bill Boggs likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ive seen quite a few of these in Fresno.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner , I have not been able to ride a bike in years- balance issues. But this might would work.

14. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner be sure to invest in a bike flag so folks can see you!

[​IMG]

15. Hal Pollner

Registered

@Beatrice, there's very little traffic in my residential area...maybe one car every 15 minutes. I have a rear view mirror that I always check anyway.

Besides, I never take a bicycle on the highway anyway...just residential streets and desert trails.

Even when I had Motorcycles, I never took them out in traffic!

Hal