Exercise For a Healthy Mind is as Important as Physical Fitness

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ruth Belena, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

People who spend time at a gym or have a regular fitness routine often seem to be less concerned about exercising their mind. While it's true that regular exercise is mood enhancing and can help people who are prone to depression, the mind also needs to be kept fit.

Regular mental exercise is thought to help in the prevention of Altzeimer's Disease and in halting the onset of dementia. According to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, 15% of people over the age of 60 suffer from a mental disorder and it seems to be a growing problem.

Mental exercise does not need to involve anything very intellectual. Word puzzles, Sodoku, taking part in quizzes, reading and writing are all good for keeping the mind alert.

I've always had an active mind and I'm planning for it to stay that way, by continuing to keep my mind well exercised.

Do you have some sort of routine for keeping a healthy mind?

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I doodle in numbers, I add columns of numbers in my head to keep my brain active. I agree it is important to excerise the brain as well as excerising the body. The game Luminsty came out to help give the brain a good work out.

3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Nourishment for the is very important which is over looked