Every Flight, A Tribute And Remembrance

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Ed Marsh, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    I have been flying a range of little small radio controlled airplanes lately, and I have been having a lot of fun.
    My planes are all mini-replicas of those airplanes flown in World War II.
    And every time I fly one of these little planes, I think a thought of thanks and admiration for the young men of long ago who flew the actual planes that these little models represent.
    I'll be honest, I don't know if I possess the courage and fortitude to actually climb in one of those planes to take off and fly to meet up with other brave young men in combat.

I enjoy my kind of flying, and I truly do appreciate the men who flew the real things- good people, they were.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've visited Kitty Hawk a few times, Ed. It's quite interesting to stand on the dunes with the ocean winds blowing in your face and imagine those early flights. I've not visited other areas where "the first flight" was also said to have occurred (Bridgeport, Connecticut and Paris, France.)

Regarding air combat: my Uncle Bill was a Spitfire plot in WWII.
    [​IMG]
    I don't think the experience is anything any of us should desire.

I never met the man, but at some point his commemorative RAF watch made its way to me:
    RAF watch.jpg

My brother-in-law held a private pilot's license. I went up with him once. It would be fun to learn to fly, but I'm not interested enough to go through the process.

A friend of mine (Dick) was given the FAA's Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award.

From the FAA website:

To be eligible for the Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award, nominees must meet the following criteria:
    • Hold a U.S. Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) or Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) pilot certificate.
    • Have 50 or more years of civil and military piloting experience or 50 or more years combined experience in both piloting and aircraft operations.
      • Up to 20 years of the required 50 years may be U.S. military experience.
      • The effective start date for the 50 years is the date of the nominee’s first solo flight or military equivalent.
      • The 50 years may be computed consecutively or non-consecutively.
    • Be a U.S. citizen.
    • Have NOT had any airman certificate revoked.
    Dick had been a pilot in VietNam, and also worked in repairs & testing. The amazing thing about his career is that due to his job type, he engaged in more takeoffs & landings that likely any other profession in aviation. That is where the "risk of incidents" is greatest (moreso when dealing with testing), yet he never had a failure. I was at the awards ceremony. The FAA sent representatives to present Dick with the award. It was quite impressive. His wife also held her license.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never attended the EAA (experimental aircraft association) gathering in Oshkosh (Wisconsin). But I have observed a lot of aircraft overhead when it is going on. Not sure they are still in yearly attendance but the B52's sure announced their presence. The crowds are more than I care to deal with. The spill over ends up in Fond du Lac and other smaller surrounding airports. The EAA museum is interesting, though, in off times.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for this.

Lois Winters and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

In the DC region we have the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum. Then we got the privately-funded extensions (and expansion) of that museum constructed by Dulles International Airport. It is the Udvar-Hazy museum, named after Steven F. Udvar-Hazy, its major donor who contributed $65 million for the project. It first opened in 2003, and is HUGE!!!! There are over 170 aircraft on display on multiple levels. My last employer used to throw us really nice and fun Christmas parties. They rented that facility 2 or 3 times for that event. Words cannot describe the experience of being there for hours on end at a private event, walking up to the SR-71 Blackbird, the Enola Gay, the shuttle Discovery, the capsule Gemini IV, etc.

Years before that I worked out by Dulles Airport when Concorde was still flying. The landing path took it directly over the main road (Route 28) just after 1PM, so if you timed your lunch hour right, you could watch the thing fly right over your head. It was so futuristic.

[​IMG]

6. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

What a beaut that plane was.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

It's amazing to be standing (or sitting in your car) directly under its path as it lands. And I misspoke in my original post...the landing took it across Route 50 and parallel to Route 20 (just a little clarification for those familiar with the Chantilly VA area.)

It's sad it's not still around. The most notable tragedy surrounding the plane was a deadly runway accident that was caused by debris shed by another plane.

Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good afternoon to all-
    The most impressive plane I've ever seen was Air Force One as it took off out of Shreveport, Louisiana back a few years past. Such a big and wonderful plane. Unfortunately, it was carrying the former occupant of the White House at the time. Talk about a waste of machinery...

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

What a beaut that plane was.
    One summer day, a few years ago, Air Force One and Two both flew at tree top level over our side yard. Yes, one of those planes was bringing in the President at the time to his summer White House. They actually frightened me for a moment being so low, as were the accompanying helicopters. We complained about this, and it did not happen again. I really cannot remember it being anything but a tad scary at the moment.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.