Education System

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Martin Alonzo, May 18, 2015.

1. Ralf Mannheim

Ralf Mannheim Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, but I don't think most is caused by poverty. The per capita annual budget of the states for education is more than $13K, one of the biggest in the world. In poor countries, the amount available is less than $1K.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Ralf Mannheim

Registered

An interesting aside:

3. Ralf Mannheim

Registered

This probably represents a small school in the Philippines, in a town with around 1,300 inhabitants:

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on perspective), the amount of money we throw at the educational system here doesn't correlate with the results. I'm guessing that some of our worst schools have the highest annual budgets.

5. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A very good morning to all-

During my career as a public school teacher, I was able to work with a great many foreign exchange students. Some did very well here, some did not. Of course, The exchange students are all tip-top in ability- they don't send any second tier students on exchange programs.
    One of my last exchange students- very, very bright kid- passed the state required graduation exam, including US History section on her first go- and this Swedish student told me, "The biggest difference between US schools and our schools? In Sweden, the kids do EVERYTHING, and the teachers do NOTHING. Here, the teachers do EVERYTHING, and the kids do NOTHING."
    I found that very interesting.
    By the way, I still communicate with this student, and she is now a teacher and parent back home in Sweden, and she says she loves teaching her kids.

good day to all- Ed

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

We had a Swedish exchange student in my grades, from 9-12. Although he resides in Sweden, I am told that he has made it to every class reunion. I, on the other hand, have made it to none. I was scheduled to make it to my 50th, but I had the flu.

7. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    Ken- on this point, we agree. I have no desire to see folks that I have left far, far behind me. I fear I would find reunions very depressing in several ways. It seems when I leave a place, by God, i leave it for good.

good day to all- Ed

8. Ralf Mannheim

Registered

FWIW, countries that routinely do very well academically include Singapore, Finland, Taiwan, Denmark, South Korea, and so on, and they have spending levels that aren't necessarily the highest but high. At the same time, they have very different educational systems (some use rote with teamwork and others tailored approaches), have similar exposure to pop entertainment like the U.S., have combinations of big and small classrooms, and so on. These and others were revealed in a study by Pearson.

I can't remember the conclusion, but I think the ff. were raised:

1. The parents are generally involved as co-educators. They can't be the sole educators of their children for several reasons, but they have to find time to help teachers in various ways.

2. Adults around the children are also co-educators: even with pop entertainment, society encourages the use of museums, libraries, laboratories, and many other things to foster learning, and especially for adults. That's because

3. Education is seen as lifelong learning, and in various ways: to upgrade skills for work (as seen in places like Germany and Singapore), as part of self-cultivation (still seen in parts of Europe and Asia, and inspired by philosophers like Plato and Confucius), to organize and lead others, and even for nationalism (in "East Asian Miracle" economies different generations were required and encouraged to actively learn for themselves and for their country).

Thus, it looks like it wasn't so much teachers and even students but adults--local officials, parents, teachers, professionals--who played a key role in encouraging not just their own children but the kids of their community--or society--to learn. And part of that encouragement involved practicing what one preaches: kids will tend to read more when they see adults around them reading, and so on.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Yet, US schools want to keep parents as far away from their own children as possible.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't go to high school reunions because the people that I was close to, I stayed in contact with through life. Sadly the numbers keep decreasing.
    I am not very close to family. But one of my nieces has started family reunions and wants to keep it a tradition. 12 hour drive!:confused: both ways. But this last time I sort of enjoyed it.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

It's going to be really rough on my youngest daughter when they try to give her 3 grandkids she is raising covid shots. She will home school them till more research is done. We were just talking about that yesterday.

12. Ken Anderson

Homeschooling is easier than it ever was.

Lois Winters and Jeff Elohim like this.
  13. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, for decades now.

Just like in other countries where the students do the work, not the teacher,
    some private (maybe some public) schools in the usa likewise , and
    especially home schoolers or one room schools shared
    , the students work at their English/other languages/
    , writing A LOT, reading A LOT, math problems A LOT,
    and reading history and bibliographies and "real" info instead of
    spending most time sitting in chair listening (or as if listening).

The cost 30 or 40 years ago was well under $1000.00 for the curriculum for K-12th, and students
    did better than public schools by far, including when going to college or other schools after.

14. Ken Anderson

Parents who are afraid of homeschooling picture themselves standing behind a desk teaching for eight hours a day and they don't feel up to it.

15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken, not when your a 52 yr old grandmother raising 3 grands, 4, 6 and 10. She has custody of all 4 but the father of the 8yo married and keeps her most of the time now.
    She also works psrt time in her husbands business.

Ken Anderson likes this.