Early To Bed And Early To Rise

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Corie Henson, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

That is an adage that was being taught in grade school. When I was a teenager, it didn't matter to me much but when I became a responsible adult, I realized one good effect of sleeping early and waking up early. I feel energized. That's it, I feel strong and not sleepy after 5 minutes of waking up early especially when I do my morning exercise (light only). And when I slept late and woke up late particularly during weekends, I feel lethargic all day until I get a nap after lunch.

For those who want a nice feeling in the morning, sleep early and wake up early.

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Good advice, @Corie Henson ... this has been my way of life, too. Can't say I actually chose it :) but it happened that way, so I couldn't fight it. I would like to be an "early riser" around 5 maybe... but I haven't slept until 5... or 4, for years now. I do enjoy getting up very early... just wish it wouldn't be 2:30. :eek:

Then, because of that, the "early to bed" is natural, too, because I'm so tired from being up since 2:30 or 3. But it works, so that's that!

When I was a teen and through much of my 20s, pulling all-nighters was nothing. I just made up for it the next night. I think if I'd try an all-nighter now, it would take two weeks to catch up! :rolleyes:

3. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Early to Bed and Early to Rise .. that's been my motto for years.
    Love the feeling of waking up early and getting things accomplished while everyone else sleeps.

4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I have always been early to bed since childhood though sometimes late to rise as a teenager :rolleyes:
    Like @Mari North the problem is the early tends to be very early these days, at 2:30 am plus maybe a couple of dozes.

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

"Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."

I've always been an early riser and I've enjoyed good health but I sure missed out on the other two.:oops:

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

It never did the worm any good, to wake up early!:eek:

[​IMG]

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We generally aren't the "early to bed" couple. Since my wife still works a full-time job, we get up at 7AM Mon. thru Fri. and get to bed around 10:30PM. Lately, we haven't been able to get to sleep real fast, like we did when we were younger. My left shoulder, from RC surgery, will get somewhat achy after I go to bed and that keeps me awake for awhile, until I take some Motrin.

Unless we have something to do, I'll let my wife sleep in on Saturday and Sunday morning. Actually, my "early to rise" came from both farming, when I was in high school and being in the Navy after that. I found out very quickly that if a Sailor doesn't take advantage of "sleep time" when it's available, he/she will be up for the better part of a 24hr. day.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think I've ever slept til 7:00 am in my whole life, that is sleeping in for me. I go to bed early and get up usually around 4:00-4:30.

Bonnie Thomas and Ruby Begonia like this.
  9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I think it's better to get up early and sleep early, but I like staying up late and sleeping late. My mother was a night hawk and although I fight it, I inherited some of this. I fall asleep around midnight and get up around 8:00 am. I start work at noon. Getting up at 4:00 am is too weird for me. What do you do that early? It's the middle of the night!

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Most of my wife's jobs started at 8:30AM, like the one now, whereas most of mine started at either 7AM or 7:30AM w/a half-hour to 45 minute drive to get to work. On the weekends, if we have to get up fairly early, like we did last Saturday to have our vehicle at the repair shop by 7:30AM, we ended up taking a two hour nap at noon.

What about those retiree's that only need 4 or 5 hours of sleep? I have a SIL like that.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm on here, of course! Plus since Fresno is very hot in the summer you want to get everything done early and that includes shopping. Supermarkets open early or are open 24/7. Even Trader Joe's opens at 8.

Even if I do stay up late for some reason, I still get up early and then I don't get my 8 hrs of beauty sleep and feel like crap.

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Our bedtime is 10 pm but sometimes I sleep at almost 11 pm due to some concerns. And I wake up no later than 4:30 am to be ready to leave for work by 5 am. That is to avoid the usual heavy traffic on the road. Obviously I lack sleep that's why I try to catch up during weekends. But even if my sleeping is only about 6 hours, I still feel refreshed simply because I woke up early. And maybe I am used to this lifestyle since I've been into this work schedule for years now.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  13. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I wonder about that too, Cody. 4-5 hours is NOT enough sleep for me. I need 7 or 8. I don't understand that.

14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I seem to get along nicely on five hours sleep unless I'm anxious or worried, then four hours will do.

Lara Moss and Terry Page like this.
  15. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know why but i start to feel sleepy when my clock is near midnight. Other people easily get to sleep when they are tired the whole day. I feel the opposite. The more tired i was, the more i can't sleep.

Lara Moss likes this.