Early Season Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ed Wilson, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I went to nearby Francis Slocum State Park to see how I'd do with early season panfish. The middle of May is usually the peak time, but weather was too nice to wait till then so I gave it a shot.

Walk toward lake.
    upload_2024-4-27_12-33-18.jpeg

Growing Skunk Cabbage along the way.
    upload_2024-4-27_12-40-33.jpeg

A reluctant participant.
    upload_2024-4-27_12-43-34.jpeg

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have been thinking about going myself, as early spring (as soon as the ice melts) is often a good time as the fish are becoming active and are hungry, but it is our busiest time of the year on the "farm", so, even without livestock any more, we simply can't find the time.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Like us Don you need to take the time if possible. How far are you from the water where you fish?

Jake Smith and Ed Wilson like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You dog. There's an 800 acre reservoir near me, but the fishing from the bank stinks. I really need to get a jon boat (electric motor only allowed.)

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We have a small lake in our back yard that has some trout, but it is closed to fishing from April 15 until June 15 for spawning. We also get salmon there, but they are also spawning and not eligible to catch. We have water everywhere, @Marie Mallery, and we used to catch smelt a few miles from here around the end of May, but I was thinking of pike fishing. It is thrilling and easy to catch from a canoe. We could go for halibut and such, but we are quite a distance from suitable ocean water.

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  6. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good morning to all-
    Mr. Alaska- That all sounds very nice. I've fished lots of places, but far up north has somehow escaped me. I think I would like salmon and halibut fishing. And where I live, I'm a long way from pike fishing, but we do have chain pickerel- kind of like mini-pike, I think. Lots of fun to catch- vicious little toothy critters, they are.
    I enjoy reading about the fishing that you all have in your areas- very educational.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Great idea, we went down the river today, what a great escape from all the work and boredom. I told Jake, this is where I'd like to spend my last hours, on this water floating down the river.
    It is beautiful. Jake will put up pictures.

Yvonne Smith likes this.