Duke, Best Buddy

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Debbie Allen, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Debbie Allen

Debbie Allen Veteran Member
    Registered

Duke came to us one awful rainy day. It was raining cats and dogs and you could hardly see 5 feet in front of you. Someone had surely dropped him of as he was very skinny. He was so skinny that he was at the point of giving up and dying, until he came to me. Now I will take any animal in if they come to me. I don't usually make a habit of going out to get an animal. I have taken in lots of animals and given them better homes with food shelter and heat and cool. Well Duke was 50 pounds when we finally took him to a vet. He is supposed to be 80 pounds. I gave him handfuls of cat food that rainy day and at night he spent the night under our back deck. The next day I went out and brought him up on the porch. He did have a collar on and it had a dog tag on it. We tried to find his owner but could not. So he stayed on our deck and I put up a child's gate. He knew exactly wehre he wanted to live. What he did that next day was jump over the child's gate, did his business, and surprised me by jumping back over the gate onto the porch. That was in 2002 and he is still here. He is a senior and as such he is having some health issue. It is amazng that he is still with us after all that he has been through and some of the ages of the breeds of dog that he is. He is a mix of Boxer, German Shepherd and Yellow Lab.

Here is my handsome dog. This picture was taken Easter last year. He is not photogenic at all. He just does not like to have his picture taken. DUKEEaster 452015 001 (800x600).jpg

2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Aw, what a sweetheart Duke is! :) Sounds as if he knew exactly where to find his rescue mama! And he's camera-shy... how precious is that?!