Drones

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Jennifer Graves, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

Who's with me on this? I'm getting my husband one of the cheaper (well, the cheapest) drones I have found. Its going to be our anniversary present to him. Its on amazon. I don't know where else to look for them. but this one is 51$ and has a camera attached! Anybody else have any intentions to get a drone?

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't really have any desire to own a drone. I am still up in the air about drones, pardon the pun here. They do seem to be an interesting form of technology, but there is always a chance they can be misused. Let's just say I would hate for a drone to get into the wrong hands, I think something like that could be horrible to say the least.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I wouldn't mind having a good one, one that I could fly over my land taking good quality photos. I'd like to be able to watch for wildlife in realtime.

Diane Lane and Martin Alonzo like this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband has been looking around for drone that he could use in shooting videos. However, he has no budget yet and the cheapest here costing around $200 is made in China and does not include a camera. Pardon me for this but we have the impression that products made in China are not durable enough to last long. The new wireless keyboard I bought recently is made in China and the mouse that went with the package was eaten not by a cat but by dirt maybe because the scroller wheel is not working anymore.

5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no need for a Drone to fly around. I am sure your husband will enjoy his gift.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Drones have been interfering with firefighting planes in California. I look for some strict regulations to come soon.

7. Jennifer Graves

Registered

oh wow, that's 4 times as much as they are here! This may be a silly question, but can you not order from Amazon over here? or maybe get someone over here to order it and send it to you?

8. Corie Henson

Registered

The only online shop we had tried is Lazada. I don't know if Amazon can deliver here. Anyway, the purpose of that drone is for testing only. My husband wanted to get a feel of how the drone is used in shooting a movie so he would know the answer when is gets consulted on the matter. But I guess it is a no go because it is still expensive for testing purposes. But there is a cheaper brand recommended by a friend, I still don't know my husband's opinion.

9. Jennifer Graves

Registered

that really is a lot of money for testing purposes. I hope you can get it worked out. If there isn't anyone over here you would trust to order it and then send it straight to you, there are some companies that'll do it for you.

Corie Henson likes this.
  10. Corie Henson

Registered

@Jennifer Graves, the delivery system here is quite good unlike before when it takes weeks. But I cannot say the same for imported goods. And from the experience of some people I know, there is an added cost for the tax, depending on where the item is coming from. So to avoid any misunderstanding with the net cost, we just buy locally.

A drone is now the new toy of movie productions because drones are always present in movie shooting even if there is no need. One director said that the drone had replaced the dolly with a rail and also the crane which is so heavy and not easy to assemble. My husband is right in wanting to buy a drone for testing purposes. He said that it is not easy to fly a drone.

11. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I can imagine they would be hard to control... nothing like a remote control airplane or what not. That's why I'm getting a cheap one for starters. I mean, I'm getting my husband a cheap one to stat off. I am not going to count on it not crashing really often in the beginning

Corie Henson likes this.
  12. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

God, I wish my wife would have the same mindset as you. I'd LOVE to get gifted a drone! I've been thinking about picking one up for about a year now, but my wife is against it, saying that I'll probably break it in a day or two. I mean, she's not ENTIRELY wrong, I'm not exactly the best at handling things. In fact, I'm the clumsiest man I've ever known.

Jennifer Graves likes this.
  13. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I'll be honest, I'm giving it to him, but getting it for both of us. He doesn't even know he wants one, yet.

lol You're in good company. I give it a month before ours is broken. Thats why he gets a 50$ one rather than a 500$ one. They also have little mini-quads for like 12$-15$. I'll probably get one of those to get a basic understanding of how to fly it.

14. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

If you ever find yourself getting bored of it, you could always send it to me. :p
    Not that my wife would be any happier, she still thinks that I would provoke chaos with such a thing. :)

15. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

There was some one who shot down a drone because it kept returning and spying into his back yard and probably into his house. He was confronted by three people before the police showed up to go after him. This is going to be a new problem for people who want to be stokers or peeping toms.