Drone Camera Videos, Very Beautiful!

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by John West, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I love the autumn colours that stand out with the white buildings / church.

we don’t see that a lot of autumn colours in South Australia unless we go to the botanic gardens in the Adelaide hills https://www.visitadelaidehills.com.au/article/icons-of-autumn-adelaide-hills. Most city street trees are imported flame tree variety’s

We don’t tend to have allot of white buildings as most old buildings / churches / halls / schools are built from limestone in SA including where I live.
    Our famous Barossa Valley wine grape growing areas is nice which is old German settlement areas
    has extensive area of vines but it all tends to all the same to look at.

Thanks for posting @John West

John West and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Nature is so beautiful in so many different ways, Thank you Kate for the smile and bringing back some good memories..

John West likes this.
  3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Typical image of churches where I live, how people constructed these building with next to no machinery back in-the 1800’s I’ll,never know it must have been very hot hard work carting and lifting limestone so high

70A5D06E-FC71-4961-ADB3-3BFD7F6D950D.jpeg E6ED0D94-B5E1-43EE-B57B-DE0EB5682623.jpeg

4. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Drone Flight Over A Small Town Common: Below is a video of a brief flight around Petersham, MA, town common. Absence of leaves on the trees makes it much easier to see the buildings around the center of town. This was a bit of motorcycle meandering with the drone in the backpack.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  5. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

That looks like a little church and area in a small town in Thomasville Georgia. Winter does that at times.

I always wanted to visit the little tavern 'The Perfect Storm movie' crew hung out after fishing trips.

John West likes this.
  6. John West

Registered

7. John West

Registered

An Enduring Mystery: This is one of those things I look into after some number of years have passed to see if anything new has been learned.

8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Fascinating. It had to have been made by humans but who and why? Have you ever been inside it? I'd love to see what the inside looks like.

Marie Mallery and John West like this.
  9. John West

Registered

I have not been inside this one as (1) the old knees and back wouldn't like it and (2) there is really nothing to see - just a 14 ft. long, stone-lined tunnel 4 ft or so high that ends in an empty spherical, stone chanber 11 ft. high. There is no doubt it was built by humans and most recent attempts at dating rock debris put these and similar structures between 800 and 1600 AD. This would make them pre-colonial and possibly the work of regional Nipmuc and/or affiliated, Algonquin-speaking tribes.To me, it looks every bit like an Inuit igloo built with rocks instead of snow/ice and covered up with sand, rocks and soil.

As an aside, when I was a youngster, the kids in my neighborhood built similar structures in a nearby field using scrounged boards instead of rocks. You didn't find many loose rocks of any size in Illinois fields. We made these underground chambered structures using similar cut and cover techniques, not knowing anything about the New England chambers. Maybe Nipmuc children built these. Most likely, there were essentially stone igloos built into and/or covered up by earth, IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My first thought was, one would not want to live in it as it would be flooded most of the time. Then I thought
    cistern but there is plenty of water nearby. But maybe, underground, the water would stay liquid in winter.
    I like imagining stuff.
    Go make money with this on youtube!!!

John West likes this.
  11. John West

Registered

As best I could tell, water would drain out of the chamber. Also, I remembered that the Nipmuc built and lived in spherical abodes out of saplings, like the structure below.

[​IMG]

Noting that the structure above is almost exactly the size and shape of the chamber, two things come to mind. One is that a below ground chamber could be kept far warmer in the winter than some wigwam above ground. Two, is the engineering aspect of using a frame like the one above, adding more saplings and then using it as form to build the stones around and hold them until all are in place.

As for making money on Youtube, I probably should learn if that is possible and how. The videos I've made public don't get many views. There just aren't enough hours in the day for me to learn all the things I want to learn.

Shirley Martin and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. John West

Registered

Lurking Turkeys - A Video Where The Subjects Tolerate Me More Than A Drone: It is not smart to fly your drone around territorial birds, as they will sometimes attack it. Wanting to get a video of the bunch of wild turkeys that come every day for breakfast lunch and dinner, I discovered they don't flee from me like they do other people. I also wanted to test out the video capabilities of the iPhone (13 Pro) and thought the turkeys would make for good test subjects since I could get up close. Thus, I walked out into the back yard with the iPhone, got the following 2 min. video, added some text/music and published it as unlisted (for a moto photo blog). You, however, can see it below..

Bottom line: The new iPhone takes a respectable video.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  13. John West

Registered

Are You Looking For An Inn? Take a walk with me in the park!

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

A litttle complicated for me but a drone guy who can make such beautiful videos--piece of cake.

John West likes this.
  15. John West

Registered

A Flying Look At A Rare Bridge: Covered railroad bridges are rare - very rare! There is one, however, up in Contoocook, NH, and I flew the drone to get a look at it.