Downtime

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We should also be thanking @Yvonne Smith and @Faye Fox, who also had a hand in putting some pressure on them. I don't even know who it was who finally prompted a response.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Prob the “girls” AFF1A52F-9FCE-485F-A974-9E4F62D6D277.gif if I can say that …..cause females seem to have that certain manner where we “get things “ done @Ken Anderson

I say I’m like a dog with a bone at times …..I just won’t let it go till I get a resolution …..:):D:):D

Thank you @Yvonne Smith and @Faye Fox

6D03AC3B-73A0-48BE-B484-A95FD6344710.jpeg

kay xx

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Good cop; Bad cop?

Yvonne Smith and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Give the credit to Yvonne. She is the one that got the ticket submitted.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Ha ha! Yep, that was it, Mary.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No way,everyone loves SANTA:)

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

If you look back to page one (2016) when we had the first downtime notice, you will see that a member from back then, named Honey Gee, had a picture of Mr & Mrs Santa as her avatar, @Hedi Mitchell . I think that @Julia Curtis didn’t realize how long ago this thread was started when she posted on Monday.

9. Julia Curtis

Registered

Did I make a mistake?I do love the whole Santa Christmas thing.I do remember that comment.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

No, you did not make a mistake, @Julia Curtis . But this thread was started back in 2016, so the post you responded to was from 7 years ago, back when it was still on the first page.
    Over time we have gotten up to 5 pages now, and lost some of the people who were on the forum back then, so it is always good to look at dates when you respond to a post.
    If you click on the avatar picture beside the post, it will also tell you when the person was last on the forum, so if they have been gone for several years, they are not likely to ever see your response. If you see the little green dot by their avatar, then they are online here right now.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Julia Curtis

Registered

I SEE it!I've never tapped on anyone's Profile picture before.That's nifty!Thank you Yvonne.

12. Ken Anderson

By the way, responding to old threads is perfectly okay. I encourage it.

Hedi Mitchell and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I personally find it a bit strangeo_O when someone unknowably responds to a deceased member ,
    ( in old threads) however I understand if they are new and unaware the member is no longer with us.

14. Ken Anderson

This problem has not yet been resolved. Although my payments are processed yearly, I have not had access to the account for years, and every contact I make seems to have no result other than that they did put the site back online.

Originally, I signed up with a hosting company that specialized in Xenforo hosting. They sold to another company, which sold to another, and which sold to another, and the one we're on now is currently owned by yet another company.

However, because I do not have access to the account, I cannot get the HTTPS secure server certificate that some of you have worried about. My replies to these concerns are the same—we don't save any sensitive information here, so no one is at risk. A "secure server certificate" wouldn't actually secure anything, but if given the access to do so, I would pay that otherwise unnecessary fee each year. Secure server certificates are nothing more than a fee; they add nothing to the actual security of a website.

More importantly, because I haven't had access to my account, I have been unable to upgrade the version of Xenforo that I'm running here or add any of the new stuff that might have been developed in the last nine years.

While it could still lead to nothing, as has occurred before, I think we'll be able to make some headway this week. Thanks to my wife, who doesn't mind spending hours on the phone, I have heard from the CEO of the company that owns the company that we're currently hosted with, and he promises to set it up for me once we have agreed on a date and a time.

If this occurs, there will be a period of downtime while the databases are being moved and the DNS nameservers have migrated to the new home. If he gives me enough of a heads-up, I'll let you know when to expect that. Otherwise, that will probably be the reason if the site goes down sometime this week.

When a forum is moved to another server, the DNS has to migrate, which everyone will experience differently. This means that there will probably be a period in which some of you will be able to access the new server while others won't, as it has to propagate through the Internet. The last time we went through this, some of you were able to access the forum a day or so before I could. So don't be confused by that.

Once I get an account I can log into, I may also have the option of upgrading the available resources. When I was last able to choose, I chose to pay for far more resources than I anticipated needing, but it's been nine years, so maybe we can do better, and that might fix the glitches we've all seen from time to time over the past week or so.

Hoping and praying that this works, I will let things go for a while on the new server and then look to upgrading the Xenforo software. That would be another period of downtime, but probably not as long as moving to a new server. I'll let you know beforehand since I will be scheduling that.

I'll let you know.

15. Ken Anderson

While I will give notice if possible, if he calls or emails me and is available to do it that day, I'll let him go ahead because I don't want the ball to be dropped again. Otherwise, I'll let you know beforehand.