Doing Something Now, That You Use To Do?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 2, 2024.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

If you could do something/anything now, that you use to do, what would it be?

For me, it would be Team Roping again in an arena and having my wife in the stands watching me and my "heeler". I didn't know here back then, however, she was in the stands when I was working in the arena for different stock contractors after we met. We went to a lot of rodeos in So California after we met and she loved it. Good thing the Judges knew me! To bad that those days of roping and working in the arena are long gone. I'm even too old for Senior Pro now!

I just thank God that she is as much of a serious rodeo fan as I am today.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Bike 100 miles (a "Century")

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If I could still do something that i loved, what I miss most is being able to travel, and I would dearly love to just be able to jump into my vehicle (a minivan ? ) and drive across America, stopping wherever I saw something that interested me.
    I have been a vagabond for most of my life, and although I love having a home, I miss traveling. An Amtrak trip into the Canadian Rockies would be awesome, or even down the West Coast on the Starlight that goes from Seattle to Los Angeles.

Other than that, I definitely agree with you about missing having horses, @Cody Fousnaugh . I loved trail riding, and just working with horses in general, and i still watch youtube videos just to keep in touch with the “riding horseback” feeling inside.
    Camping and fishing are also things that I loved to do back when that was able to be a part of my life; so there are just a lot of outdoors type things that I can no longer and that I miss.
    And yes, I watch fishing videos on youtube , as well…..

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Climb up a high ladder.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Walk 3- 5 miles with no problems - but dance, really dance ;)

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If my SIL (wife's older sister) could own a motorhome, with someone to help her drive, she would definitely go places. She seems to dislike being at home a whole lot. During the Pandemic, her and her daughter drove from So. California (Ontario) to Texas and back in the SIL's van.
    As for camping/fishing, no more camping for us. One time in a tent, sleeping bags on hard ground, was enough for us. It was by a lake and we had our old boat in a slip there. Fishing? Well, we still have all of our freshwater fishing rods/reels and everything else we got in Colorado the first time we lived there. Caught some great looking Rainbow Trout on two lakes/reservoirs in Colorado back in the mid 2000 on our old Bowrider boat. Had a great time! When we do sell our boat, we will keep all of our fishing gear, just in case.

7. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to ride a motorcycle but I've gotten afraid of the possible consequences. I guess it's a case of older and wiser. It's the same with the bicycling I used to do. The consequences would be less but just falling could leave you banged up for awhile. I may as well add kayaking too. Flip when young and you climb back in, but older, maybe not.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Roller skate. I feel like I could probably still skate, but I'm too self-conscious to go out on a public sidewalk until I know for certain. :D Amazing all those years I never heard of a helmet or knee pads for skating. I was living on the edge back then.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was standing on my kitchen countertop a couple of days ago, replacing a light bulb over the sink (9' ceiling). I looked down and thought, "what the hell am I doing up here?"

10. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, rollerskating.... I would LOVE to rollerskate again. Unfortunately, the last time I skated, I faceplanted and broke my nose.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

yikes

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We sold ours about 5 years ago. Shortly after I( did the 'acorn' dance' and had a hard fall. I stopped under a huge oak tree funny thing is I already had both feet on the ground before I started to fall.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

From what I remember, I went roller skating on the Naval Base in Yokosuka, Japan during my second WestPac Cruise to Vietnam. Ship had docked there. Another sailor was messing with me, pulled me down and I disarranged my left knee. It swelled up like a football, got taken off of the ship and admitted in Naval Hospital. The knee is ok today, but I sure remember that time.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I played softball in league's since 1968, last time was 1950 and a whole lot different ballgame, co-ed. And I didn't like it one bit especially being 50 and hadn't played in a couple years. And having to play on teams with young men was not as fun.
    Jake played on our team too, I pulled a muscle from not warming up first, so Jake ran to first for me, and I managed the other 3 bases.

I loved playing softball, and I was really good at it when younger and playing with FEMALES only!
    We like to tent camp too, we know how to do so in comfort, plus the van is set up for camping.
    I guess I should just let the invasive vines kill the old trees and get back to enjoying outside the homeplace.

Mary Stetler likes this.