Does Anyone Still Use A Gps?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Von Jones, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I might need to look into that phone Lara. I need something cheap that would get very little use, but nonetheless I need something when on the road. GPS would be a big bonus for me. Never had it!
    Thanks for the info.

Von Jones and Terry Page like this.
  2. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I had an iPhone5 before owning this $80 Microsoft Lumina 640.. I don't notice any difference. I can have as many apps as I want to download and the GPS is the same quality…in settings you can choose to listen to Seri or any number of voices. I chose a man's voice :rolleyes:

Diane, I didn't know it was a windows phone. I don't notice any difference from the iPhone5. My daughter has an iPhone 8 and I think her photos may be better quality

3. Carol Cook

Carol Cook Veteran Member
    Registered

We have a Garmin... it always fascinates me on how much detail it has and how clear the instructions are.

Von Jones likes this.
  4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The one thing that I notice when using our Garmin is that it puts us into a serious mindset. Why is that? We will turn down the music or turn it off completely just so we don't miss any directions.

5. Carol Cook

Carol Cook Veteran Member
    Registered

lol!! I know... we do that too... My hubby says "Shhhhhhh God is getting ready to speak!" I sometimes think I hear a note of frustration in that voice if we miss a turn... RECALCULATING.... hahahaha

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I still use my Garmin. It does a pretty good job getting me to the neighborhood of where I'm going, although it sometimes drops off at the end, and won't always get me precisely there. I prefer it to the Tom-Tom that I had before, and much prefer it to the GPS on my phone.

I prefer it to the Tom-Tom because the Garmin doesn't get all excited when I ignore one of its directions like the Tom-Tom does. It recalculates quietly and goes on about its business. I prefer it to the one on my phone because it's easier to follow.

I don't need it for much unless I'm leaving the state since I pretty much know my way around Maine, or at least the parts that I go to. Even when I know where I'm going I sometimes use it because it lets me know when I'm speeding, and it's nice to know when I can expect to arrive at my destination.

Von Jones likes this.