Does Anyone Enjoy Protein Bars?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Susan Long, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was pretty ill about a year and four months ago and protein became a major nemesis. I was advised that if I had over 35g of protein per day it could cause an ammonia build-up in my brain and then zap. Since the protein bars that I like contain 26g it was a hands off situation if I had any thoughts of having a well balanced meal later.

Now that I am healthier and am starting to work and work out more I can pretty much have all I need. I do specify the word "need." If a person is static, too much protein can hurt. It isn't like Vitamin C which will just leave the body naturally if there is an overage.

So, in short, if I want a protein bar, I either have to not eat some other protein food, or plan to work it off. I might mention though, that because a work-out can use so much protein that it is healthy to have a little protein after a work out because the muscles will be "hungry."
    I do like the vanilla kind with fiber included and believe it or not, Special K puts out a pretty good one. Other than that I also like the Joe Weider suppliments that are pretty user specific.

2. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

Eww, I find them really yucky, I prefer taking vitamines in standard pills.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Hmmm. It is rather funny in that the "pills" you mentioned reminded me of a Sylvester Stalone movie in which everyone in a small party sat at Taco Bell, and the entire meal consisted of various pills as opposed to having a burrito or taco.

I do not, in any way, voice disrespect of your choice of nutrients, but what is it you do not like about nutrition bars? Your simple one reply line consisting of 13 words does not define your distaste for nutrient bars. Is it the taste, or what it does to your tummy or is there a time limit you have placed on yourself for nutritions sake? There are only around 100 different types and brand names with numerous recipes (you might even find ice cream or pasta) and one of them might meet your fancy but I do trust that you have tried them all and therefore can cast the judgement of "yew."

In defence of the food bars in question, they do employ 4 of the basic senses and time. Yes, time is important because one must take a small bit of time from ones busy schedule to sit, think, consume, and enjoy the small meal. The pills and tonic method employs 3 senses. It would be 4 but when taking vitamins and tonics one holds their breath or pinches their nose while consuming the frightfully horrific smelling capsules of dietary bed pan bullets.
    That being said, merely pinching ones nose is also good for the follow through which we will deem as "giving vitamins to the air."
    In the matter of time, the refinement of snacking or dining is lost in the movement called "chunk and go," which means that no time is consumed but just the pill. Now, of course, using the chunk and go method, you and others have more time to watch your daily dramas on tv uninterrupted by hands going to the mouth.

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know if I have had a protein bar. I know that I enjoy nature valley granola bars and I may have tried something from special k which I thought was a granola bar. Anyway, I liked it just the same.

I didn't realize that protein can have a negative effect on the body if you eat to much of it. I'll have to read more about it online, may be WedMD.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We made the monthly pilgrimage to Sam's Club yesterday. While looking at the health foods, I discovered a new food bar. It is called the Caveman food bar, and is basically fruit and nuts, with a tiny dab of sweetning and rich dark chocolate. It is Paleo-approved, no peanuts, and just naturally sweet from all of the dried fruits. Since it is so rich,even a part of one bar will about satisfy a craving for sweets. Plus, they are so incredibly delicious ! ! We got a box that has coconut almond and cherry chocolate, but the company actually makes them in quite a few flavors.
    We also found some bars that are for muscle-building, and they are high protein and carbs. Since Bobby has been working out; those will fit right into his routine.
    @Von Jones , the worry about too much protein is only when the liver is not working properly, and then it can cause too much ammonia and kill you.

Von Jones likes this.