Do You Think Americans Have Gotten Better Or Worse Throughout History?

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Babs Hunt, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Spencer Berrett

Registered

I love history, & a study of it reveals that a lot of alternate versions of what is real is out there. I'm very afraid of America as it stands today. As for the Internet being a cause of hate, it's a case of you'll probably get back what you seek. The crazies have always been out there, the electronic world is not unique that way. I love a free Internet, but that is rapidly becoming a myth. I fully support net neutrality.

Oh, by the way, as far as rewriting history goes, I do believe that if a lie is repeated long enough it becomes the truth.

Today's hateful American environment sucks. Sadly, I hate it.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think Americans or other people have gotten better or worse since the beginning. We have always been a cruel species. It has always been kill or be killed. Even Cain slew his brother Abel.

Terry Page likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

When put that way it could be said we are a product of a loving God. Kill or be killed, survival of the fittest. Maybe a product of the times in which we lived, according to personality and invironment, followers, following some strong personality, which changes as one dies off and a new one enters, much like the climate. It has been said we all are made up of good and evil, perhaps because of stories like Cain and Abel. I guess I agree, more or less, with the previous
    Speaker.

Today's hateful American environment sucks. Sadly, I hate it. (So do I, Spencer.)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  4. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I agree with the above quotes, my experience of the past 70 odd years is that in my daily life not much has changed, except because I am now in my dotage and probably exude frailty, people I meet seem generally kinder.

The internet, the news and social media paint a picture of divided families and nations, and lots of anger around, so yes from the apparently twisted truth of the news, it's all getting worse and the end is nigh. Personally I have felt we are in the endgame for the human race pretty much all my life, but we are still here and have been through worse I am sure, though memory itself is unreliable.

I can't really speak for the US because I have to rely on news, which is inevitably biased, but in saying that my experience on American based forums is that people are more or less living their lives as usual, with it's ups and downs, I find lots of love and kindness around my interactions with other members. In my travels around the world, people are the same whichever country you are in.

The good and bad, yin and yang, love and hate aspects, have always been present in humans, I feel the balance is still there, and we do in my opinion have a choice in which aspect we focus on........read all the bad news and let it influence you and you will see the world as an evil scary place...........ignore the news and simply observe the part of the world you are in, with an open heart and mind and you will see much goodness in people. .......as many have said:

"We only see what we want to see; we only hear what we want to hear".
    Our belief system is just like a mirror that only shows us what we believe. Don Miguel Ruiz

“Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see.” Edgar Allen Poe

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

5. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

History repeats itself continually ... only the names, places and the how change.

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

We humans are capable of the greatest of kindness as witness the outpouring of help to victims of Hurricane Harvey. Conversely, we are capable of the greatest of atrocities. as witness the murders that we see happening almost daily. We all like to think that we are not capable of killing someone but I think we are wrong. I consider myself the most peaceable of beings but there are circumstances under which I could kill another human being.

Patsy Faye and Terry Page like this.
  7. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered