Do You Stockpile At Home?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Holly Saunders, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't. I shop weekly. I will stock up on things I prefer from Trader Joe's like rice milk. That way if I shop at another grocery store that week, I have the things I specifically like from Trader Joe's. Though I do usually shop there.

I'm more worried about supplies for the cats than anything else.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm with you on that, @Kitty Carmel . I might go hungry but Miki will never go hungry "As God is my witness!" :D

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

My cats eat only the premium foods, organic whenever possible, and I think I pay more per ounce for their food than for my own.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I get that! my cats don't eat organic per say but their food comes from the vet (fish free) and their daily can treat they split (fancy feast size) is Wilderness chicken and expensive. I did order from Chew.com and was happy with everything and I think I'll keep ordering their Wilderness cans from there. I get the shipment in two days. It comes from Nevada and I'm in California.

5. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I understand. When I was broke, before I graduated from nursing school and money was getting low before payday, I always made sure Daphne had food, litter etc, before I spent my last money on what I needed. It's not as dire as it sounds, because I always had my parents if I needed a few dollars before payday. But that's what I did.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to work for Blue Buffalo, the company that produces the Wilderness brand. They make some less expensive stuff that's also very good. Oddly, my cats don't like the Wilderness line very much. I can slip one in every now and then, but they seem to want some veggies in their food. Don't misunderstand; I am not talking down the Wilderness food, as it has excellent ingredients; if only I could get my cats to read the ingredient list.

To bring the thread back on topic, I have an air-tight canister that I store kibble in, so I buy that in the large bags. Their kibble is nearly always Blue Buffalo, although not the Wilderness line. Now that I have only two cats, it takes them a while to get through a large bag, and I buy their canned food by the case too. Actually, I often buy two or three cases at a time since they want variety in canned food.

7. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Ken Anderson I did buy a can that was about 30 cents less that was fish free. I can't remember the brand. I was afraid to feed it to the cats thinking it might not agree with them since it was different but they seemed to like it and no one threw up. Fish free is hard to find.

The bags I get from the vet are also kind of large and last two cats about 3 months. I use a larger Rubbermaid container to keep the food in and dish it from that refilling from the bag when needed. It's easier than dealing with the bag each time.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I do stockpile for two reasons. The first being I just don't like to shop so the more I have stockpiled, the less I have to shop. The second reason is I do like to stock up on things we use when they are on sale for a really good price.

With my Honey working part time at a grocery store...he can always bring home something we run out of, but even with our 10% discount things are still higher most of the time at the small Country market where he is employed...yet we do get lots of free things from there too. :)

Stockpiling things we use often like toilet tissue, laundry detergent, toothpaste, soap, etc. is something I just can't see not doing. :)