Do You Still Send Christmas Cards?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Hoot Crawford, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I LOVE sending Christmas Cards and I dress mine up or I buy card stok and dress up from scratch.I just love putting time on them and last year I got some stamps and ink like lil snowflakes and snowmen and wreaths.I start all that in October and put them in the envelopes.Then when they're all done I seal and mail.So much fun!:D

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I can't believe how expensive stamps are now. I send out maybe 6 cards. Close Friends and relatives have passed on making the choice of who to send to simpler.:(

3. Julia Curtis

Registered

It's the making of the cards that I look forward to.The stamps are expencive but I use rubber stamps with an ink pad to decorate the cards I have exactly 10 people on my card list.:)

4. Andrea Lindsey

Andrea Lindsey Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I still send about twenty cards. I like receiving them and stand them all up on the half wall between the kitchen and living room.

Oh! I lived in Columbus for a while and loved Lazarus all year long, especially at Christmas!
    My father had a display business in Charleston WV and did lots of the windows for stores like The Diamond and Stone & Thomas. How I miss the old downtowns at Christmas

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yup. My father managed G.C. Murphy stores his entire career. Back in the day, they were all located in the old classic retail districts. Somehow, malls are not the same.

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Registered

We used to put the cards across the mantle and I put them around our patio window. Love the color. I just got my first card this season--It is from my butcher.:rolleyes:

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Julia Curtis

Registered

I love doing the Christmas cards,cards anytime of the year are my thing.It's a time passer for me,some would rather not get them but I send them anyway.:)

Nancy Hart and Andrea Lindsey like this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Registered

Can you post a picture of one of your cards?

9. Julia Curtis

Registered

Mary I don't make the cards I dress them or add to them.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Andrea Lindsey

Andrea Lindsey Well-Known Member
    Registered

So far we only have two cards on our mantle:
    Aunt Jean's and Hay's Tires.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Sending and receiving Christmas cards was a big thing each year when I was growing up. First, my mom made a trip to Spokane and we shopped several stores until she found just the right boxes of cards.
    Once she had the cards, then she wrote short letters/messages on the back of each card, and then both she and my dad signed the cards. Once I was old enough to write and sign my name, then I signed each card, too.
    For people we usually saw a lot during the year, Mom didn’t write letters on the back, so the card was just a basic card to let them know that we remembered them at Christmas.

We did this early in December, and then Christmas cards would start coming back to us, which my mother put out on the top of the buffet where we could look at all of them each day. For people we didn’t see or talk to because they lived too far away, those Christmas cards were the only thing we ever heard from them, or they heard from us, each year. People did not make long distance phone calls unless it was very important, and letters were the only oher form of communication with people who lived in another town, so getting the Christmas cards and news updates was a special thing to my parents, and probably to most people , back then.

Now, people just text, message, or call each other anytime we want, so that Christmas card tradition seems to pretty much be a thing of the past for most people, including us.

Beth Gallagher and Mary Stetler like this.
  12. Julia Curtis

Registered

Not all reply in kind that is a fact,I have had issues with lost mail as well but it's not everyone's thing but it sure is mine.:)

13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

This reminds me of all the times I would shop the after-Christmas sales and pick up boxes of cards on sale, and pack them away with the rest of the Christmas stuff. Then I would go through them next year, picking out a card for each recipient. There always seemed to be a few cards that remained in the box forever, never right for anyone on my list.

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I am pretty sure that my mom probably did that also, @John Brunner.
    She loved the beautiful Christmas tree decorations, but they were really expensive, so after Christmas was when she bought new decorations to use on the tree the next year, and probably also bought leftover cards and other christmas stuff when it was on closeout.
    Actually, we all enjoyed the Christmas tree so much that we always left it up until after my birthday in January, and if it was holding up and not too dry, sometimes we left it up until Valentine’s Day.
    The new ornaments could then be used on the tree (if there was room) on the same year that Mom bought them in the after Christmas sale,

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  15. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This is the second year that I haven’t sent any Christmas cards at all after spending a couple of years paring down the list. I did give cards to family who attended the family Christmas gathering last weekend. The cards were mainly so I had a way to give the grand boys their Christmas cash.

I’m sure I would feel differently if cards were personalized like Julia describes but the way I and most others were doing it cards have become more a burden than a joy.

John Brunner likes this.