Do You Go Inside Your Bank?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Sheldon Scott, May 4, 2016.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My social security and pension checks are direct deposit and I have an ATM/Debit card for getting cash when needed. But my wife and I each get a small check each month to help pay insurance costs. I could have had those direct deposited too, but I opted for checks. Once or twice a month I go in the bank and have got to know a couple of the tellers. I even took them some extra produce from the garden a couple of times.
    By cashing those checks inside the bank I've had little need to use the ATM Last month I did try to use it and my card had been deactivated. I went inside to get it fixed and the teller had to call the main bank to resolve the problem. I guess the banks want to protect against fraud in case somebody had just found the card and was trying to get the PIN. I heard the teller tell the main bank, "yes, I know him, he's a regular customer." They reset my card. If I hadn't been going inside the bank I might not have got my card reset. I think it's a good idea to get to know people you do business with.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I go in the bank most days...not for my own personal accounts but for dealing with the company business ..I know the tellers very well.:)

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I like to go into the bank occasionally. One time, I noticed a bowl of mints on the counter, for customers to take. I asked the girl "are these Denver Mints or Philadelphia Mints"? She gave me a blank look....she didn't get it.:confused:

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Rarely. I have a few bank accounts but most everything is done online or, if I have to go to the bank, the drive-through usually works. Mostly, I use PayPal.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Banks, bankers, and banking itself, have been scornfully frowned upon for eons by many cultural groups. Following the onset of the Great Depression, many folks no longer placed their dough "on-deposit" because they had lost a lot of money to both failed banks as well as failed debentures sold by banks. My Dad, following his own Father's urging, bought "Gold Bonds" as they were called in the late 1920s. Then, out of work, needing money, found the issuing bank did not even care to make an offer to buy them back. My Mother saw an ad somewhere, an obviously well-to-do Doctor was interested in buying those "Gold Bonds", at of course, pennies on the dollar. My folks sold them to him; originally they had invested several thousand dollars. A lesson learned, quoting my Dad: "Don't trust the banks!".

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

You are right about knowing the people in the bank especially the tellers. My husband is also a pensioner and his pension is directly deposited in his ATM account. The bank is near the gate of our village but my husband withdraws from an ATM machine in the city (we are in the suburbs) so he is not known to the employees of the bank. However, there is a regulation for pensioners to show themselves to the bank for verification that they are still alive so in December, my husband would make a personal appearance to meet the bank frontliners.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I go about once a month and go inside. I like my bank, if I go when they open there's never a line. They'll even open a little early if they see me waiting or anybody else...not just me. :) In not that special.

I always see the same teller and she has the most beautiful jewelry on all the time, always compliment her.

8. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I rarely go into my bank anymore. Most of my problems tend to be solved over the phone these days.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My widows benefits are direct deposit, the only reason I do go is that my son sends me a check every month to help with my car payment, he could deposit it directly but Trader Joe's is in that plaza so it's not an inconvenience.

Plus, I love looking at her jewelry. :) It's just costume jewelry but it really stands out. She has earrings, necklace, bracelet and rings ..makes her plain navy blue Bank outfit look good. I wouldn't call her pretty but you do notice her!

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

We're like Texas Beth and rarely go to the bank any more. We have direct deposit mostly. There are times we need to go to get a notary public stamp, deposit a sale we just made of some of our vintage things we are selling recently. When we moved we had to go down to let our bank know our new address.

K E Gordon likes this.
  11. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I go into my bank on occasion. There are certain Friday's that they have free things which is always a perk.. I think it might be the first Friday of the month. They give away snacks, pens, and office supplies. It is a nice little benefit. I went in the credit union today since I had a mortgage payment to make. They always have lollypops and pens. In general though, if I have banking to do, I will use the drive thru.

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I make it a point to go inside. Things can change if you are away for some time, particularly hours of service. When I think they are open they are closed and I usually wait 30 minutes for the doors to open. Recently they added a lane just for seniors and disabled persons; that was thoughtful. Maybe they could add an express lane for loan payments only. I do wish they could limit the number of transactions though.

13. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

I've ot been in my bank for about 2 years when I had a huge jar full og coins and they weighed them then deposited the amount into my account (72,18 euros!). I do all my banking via transfers to pay regular bills etc and I do visit my bank on-line at least twice a week.

I'm happy with the situation - as a result of my on-line visits and spending patterns my bank seems to understand my needs and budget. There must be some sort of algorithm that collates such information. They send me details of offers and services that might be of interest and which relate closely to my financial profile.

14. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I do go to the bank. I've fought direct deposit for my paychecks. I don't have an ATM card. I pay my shopping all in cash.

I like my bank because I can have two free checking accounts and keep one for my online shopping. There is one employee there I just can't stand and try to avoid him. Now they also have some greeter at the door. Sometimes when there is only one teller and this worthless door greeter. Irritates me.

Luckily now I don't live paycheck to paycheck and usually go in when I have two to deposit.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Everybody's really friendly at my bank. Nicest group of employees in a bank I've ever come across.

No matter what I'm there for, they treat me like a customer who has lots of money with them. I don't, but I like that they do that. Spend the time with me when I had questions about something that really was just a big old waste of time for them.