Dismantling Of The Flag

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bobby Cole, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

At Hampshire College in Massachusetts, it has been decided to put away Old Glory following several flag burnings leading up to and including veterans day.

How ironic that it was, that in an area so close by, in Baltimore during the war of 1812 that the Star Spangled Banner was dedicated. No matter the onslaught, nor the turmoil that surrounded that large flag, our banner still flew.
    Now, all it takes is a small group of dissidents to not only lower our flag, but make it disappear from our halls of education.

A true testimony of the degradation of American patriotism. ..............

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

If people in authority still had balls, they'd expel the flag burners and riff raff. If they can't expel them for flag burning because of the first amendment, do it for arson.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The very fact that the flag they are burning is not their flag would make it against the law. A person may have the right to burn a flag that belongs to them but they do not have the right to burn a flag that belongs to someone else, and they don't have the right to burn anything on college property. I would put up a very expensive flag so that the destruction of it would be a felony.

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I do whole heartedly agree but the American flag, any American flag is the most expensive banner in the world. The fact that it still flys tells the story of so many patriots who gave their lives for it.

One life is priceless let alone the thousands upon thousands who died that our flag and the freedoms that it represents would prevail.

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

That collage was for the children that were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and never heard the word NO. So when they don’t get their ways they react like a child going through a temper tantrum. It did not go their way so everyone else is wrong. When I would throw a temper tantrum my father help me understand and it hurt for a short time. They should send a motor cycle group to educate these cry babies.

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Okay, now Trump has apparently done it again. He tweeted that flagburners should have to face either a loss of citizenship or a year in jail. Every liberal in the nation is hammering away at the newly elected president saying that he now wants to take away free speech.

Before I go any further with this, allow me to mention that saying you're going to do something and actually doing something are as different as night and day. There's no real law that prosecutes a person who says, "I'd like to kill him", but there are laws that prosecute people for actually doing it. To me, it should be the same with the emblem of the United States. Say you want to burn it, go ahead and say it but the minute the match hits the cloth I'm all for stomping out the flame along with a few fingers.
    There, I just exercised my 1st amendment right and wrote what I truely believe.

Now, back to the topic at hand. The liberals who absolutely adore Hillary and are persecuting Trump for his stance on flag burning seem to forget that in 2005, the then Senator Clinton introduced a bill that made flag burning an illegal act with a sentence of 1 year AND a 100K fine. Obviously, the bill suffered a "thumbs down".

Secondary to the Clinton thing, while the liberals are condeming Trump for his OPINION on the matter they are also denying Donald T. his constitutional right to free speech. Just because someone has been elected to become the president doesn't mean they must suddenly lose their own moral and ethical standards and operate like some political robot.
    I want a human behind the presidential desk, not a puppet like the idiot who is preparing to leave office.

Just sayin'.

Joe Riley and Martin Alonzo like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

I do not believe that we need a law against burning the flag, but we have a lot of people in prison for exercising their right to free speech. Even actual speech. A year or so ago, someone used a photo of someone who was in prison as their profile picture and caused quite a commotion here. I think a couple of people may have even left the forum because I wouldn't tell him he couldn't use that photo. If I remember correctly, the crime that the person who actually belonged to the photo committed was threatening the life of President Obama.

I don't think he actually attempted to take the life of President Obama, and I don't know that he even took steps toward doing so. No, he threatened the life of the president and he will be in prison for a long time. Threatening the life of the president is a Class E felony under U.S. Code Title 18, Section 871. The Supreme Court upheld the conviction of someone who declared that President "Wilson is a wooden-headed son of a bitch. I wish Wilson were in hell, and if I had the power I would put him there." Later in our history, a conviction was sustained for displaying a poster that urged passersby to hang President Roosevelt.

You wouldn't know it by the way that a lot of people talk, but there are still laws against profanity on the books in the United States, and many of these have been upheld by the higher courts, including FCC regulations that govern the words that can be used over the air waves.

So the right to free speech is not inviolate.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Well said and correction accepted. Perhaps I should have been a tad less linear with my statement and approached it with a more qualitative quality.

Albeit what you have written is true, it does make my case (and others) even better. If ANY part of free speech can be considered to be against the law, then how can a reflection of free speech ie the unceremonious burning the flag, be touted as legal?
    I do understand how threatening the leader of our country with death could be construed as a hostile act but then how is it not a hostile act by burning the legitimate standing emblem of the entire citizenry of the United States?

But then, I do suppose that making it illegal to harm a representation of the original flag an issue, a law would have to made protecting a copy of the Bill of Rights, a copy of the Constitution or even the Bible.
    Hmmmm......Lord knows a person can lose his head by messing with the Quran.

Okay, I know............I'm going from the sublime to the ridiculous but it was a good punt.

11. Ken Anderson

I agree with you. the Supreme Court decision declaring it a free speech issue isn't supported in other free speech issues. I don't see why a law couldn't be passed making it against the law. In most cases, even so, the person could be charged. Surely there are laws against burning anything on a college campus. It could be considered a disorderly act, and when the flag being burned doesn't belong to the person burning it, there are laws being violated there too.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The larger picture here is that the flag burners are looking for a reaction but the reaction they are getting is largely negative towards them and will eventually turn violent.
    While they think that they are standing up for something by exhibiting hatred and violence, in reality they are provoking an opposing amount of the same. It's Newton's action/reaction theme but the reaction is going to get moi mas dangerous in the end with no equal coming into the mix.

The best way to keep from blowing things up when in possession of a stick of dynamite is to not light the fuse.
    In this case, in order to keep a whole bunch of people getting seriously hurt, they might nip this in the bud and make burning the flag illegal or make it hard to light the fuse as it were.

To me, Supreme Court be derned, but let's really look into the future and see what the probabilities really are.
    My goodness, even the speed limits look into the probabilities of the future so why can't a bunch of politicians see ....................oh well. time for my meds.........Honey! Do we still have any....................? no dern it! Gotta settle for tea and a pipe of vanilla custard Cavendish.

13. Ken Anderson

The Supreme Court was not intended to be the last word. As they did with the Administrative branch, Congress has given the Supreme Court far more power than they were intended to have.

14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

True you! SCOTUS is only supposed to pass down the interpretation of the constitution as it might apply to a bill. They're not supposed to make law, nor is the president but to me it's another excuse for congress to have to do as little as possible.
    Hopefully, a change is taking place and everyone can do what they were initially hired to do.

15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson "so that the destruction of it would be a felony."

Intentional burning of any private property may very likely be, as Arson.

Bobby Cole likes this.