Digusted With The Vehicle Registration Laws In California

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Denise Evans, May 26, 2016.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I have an old truck, 94, and of course I take pretty good care of it, as good as I can with the price of auto mechanics, and no, handy mechanic-type husband or boyfriend.

I payed a lot of money for a registration/title update, whatever, and was given another 60 days to get a smog check, and a weight certificate. So total right there upwards toward 300 dollars. Then, when I went for the smog check at "not a smog station" but an automotive shop, which we know they are not going to be cheap, I had to pay 65 dollars if I passed, and 40 if I failed. Mind you, I have already given DMV their money for registration, and don't get it until I get clean smog (the go ahead on that) and the weight cert.

Well I flunked and had to pay 40 dollars, and listen to a "cold-hearted" shpeel on "well, a new hose on your gas tank is cracked but I can get you one for 100 bucks at O-Reilly's, then install it for 80 dollars an hour, blah blah blah.

I have a all I need here in Northwest California, except the abililty to take care of my truck, which is ireplaceable on my income. I see why some just break the law, and here I am, doing my best to take care of things, and I get kicked in the teeth for it. Plus, the absolute abuse I and other get at the DMV.

Ok, I'm done ranting. They have something here called CAP, once again another thing that helps low income. If things were not so high, I could pay for a lot myself. Or yes, if I'd made better decisions in my life about saving money, more blah blah blah:(

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What about the possibility of TRADING your truck for another vehicle that has already passed all of the needed tests, @Denise Happyfeet ?
    I know that you love your truck, and I loved my little Mazda pickup more than any other vehicle that i have ever owned, too.
    However, in this case, all it has done is to cost you money that you can't afford since you moved to California, and it seems to me that either the truck or California has got to go.

Economical trucks are always wanted, and popular because they are so versatile, and still a whole lot cheaper than driving a full-size truck.
    Yours should be worth at least $1000. Just about any truck that runs, regardless of how many miles is on the odometer, will sell for that out here in Alabama.
    I would suggest looking online, either Craigslist or a local facebook group, for car sales and see how much a truck like yours will sell for, and then look for another vehicle that you like of about the same price range, and try to find someone that wants to trade for a truck.

Von Jones and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Denise Evans

Registered

I can look into that Yvonne. It could cost me just as much, because any vehicle older than a 1999, is under the same scrutiny, and prices. If I sell it outright, I may get 1000, but if I try buying another, it ain't going to be much good, and I have already bought about 3000 dollars worth of new parts in the last 3 years.

It is an idea though, and I have a mechanically inclined little buddy, that is willing to fix my problem just with me buying the part. Then I would need to pay another 65 bucks to have it rechecked. These automotive places are ripoffs, 80 dollars an hour for labor?? It was 40 in Oregon.

Thanks for the help, I am going to look a craigs list, also, I am considering no longer owning a vehicle. I live in a a tiny town, easy to get everywhere either walking, taxi, or bus. Just feel I will be staying here the rest of my life. Thanks again:) denise

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

To be honest about this........California would go! Old vehicles can become more costly for upkeep and registration fees than newer ones. Before we leave Florida, we will get rid of our '97 Dodge RAM 1500. It has around 150k miles on it, but will only need one vehicle after we move. The RAM is actually our second vehicle. We use our 2005 Dodge Durango on the weekends and some vacations. Just had to replace to Steering Control Arm Assemblies that cost us almost $800. Thank God that my wife makes a descent salary, plus collecting her SS also. My SS also helps. But, once we move, that nice income will disappear.

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

What does that mean, CA would go? I probably missed something, or do you mean, move back to Oregon? I want to believe me. I just can't until my lease is up here. another 5 months I think now, well, 6 after June wizzes by. Time's going so fast, my mother always said it would as I got older:(

Thanks cody, for your info. If I had a newer vehicle, it would cost me more (so 6 of one and half dozen of the other) more in insurance, maybe payments, who knows. I think if it just starts ruining what sanity I have left, I will get rid of the truck. Others are doing fine without vehicles, I can too. Just hard as hell to get used to:( but I can do it if I have to;)

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Denise, why don't you look into "antique vehicle" registration, which just might allow you to undermine this nonsense. I do not know CA restrictions, but AZ are fairly loose.

Failing in that, move to Mohave County, AZ. Drive whatever you want, no tests or other B.S.. Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

thanks Frank, I looked it up, and CA still insists on the smog check. At least that's how I read it on their actual site, dmv.ca.gov, something like that.

I appreciate your idea, I was hoping that might fly, but my hope today is that they just give me more time to get it all taken care of;) Waiting now to talk to an agent at DMV. I HATE going down there, they are so rude.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh that is sad Denise. I feel very fortunate to have a cheap garage here in town that takes care of my automotive needs at a fraction of what I would pay anywhere else. Even when I move...and I swear I will one of these days, I will continue to patronize them as they have been very good to me.

9. Denise Evans

Registered

I do have one friend here, that works as a maintainance man for the complex. He is a younger guy with wife and kids, but he treats me so well. He is going to do the work on my truck and insists on not accepting any money, but he will get some for sure. He knows engines, he has a newer pickup, and 2 older ones like mine, and his wife has a pretty, new car. They also have like 4 or the 4-wheeler sand-dune thingys, whatever they are called, and I think at least 3 motor-bikes, LOL!!

They're going to the dunes tomorrow but Monday he wants to work on my truck, so I think he will do a good job. I still have to go for another smog check though, hah, and I'll bet anything they won't "just" check the one, single thing that failed. I bet they charge me in full. I don't care, at least I'll have it done. I am hoping to move back to Oregon within 6 months to a year. California stinks with it's high-prices. No wonder there are so many homeless people here:(

10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet "California stinks with it's high-prices."

I have heard Oregon is not much better. My -ex looked into Oregon upon retiring, having lived in Vegas since we moved there in 1972. She said Oregon appeared very expensive.
    Frank

11. Denise Evans

Registered

Oregon has lower prices on the things that count for me.

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry to hear that you are still struggling to get your truck legal. Hope you find an understanding person at DMV. Hang in there Denise!:);)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

Things are ok, pretty much Joe;) Things always seem to work out, but I forget that and fall apart, like my old truck, LOL! I am lucky there is only one thing to fix, and it isn't super expensive, unless I have to use a "shop" which I am hoping my friend Tony can do the job, and do it right so I can pass the smog test;)

I see people/seniors that have given up their vehicles and I just pray I can hang onto mine as long as possible. Sometimes I wonder though, like when I left church yesterday, I came to an intersection to make a left turn. I had the "green" but I slowed anyway and checked, as I always do. A truck was coming fast (45 through that area and he was doing at least that) even though I had a total green to go, he had to have seen a red light for a half a block. He ran it full-steam ahead. I am so glad I don't just trust the lights, as if others will obey theirs:(

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Good job! THAT, is defensive driving on your part!

15. Denise Evans

Registered

Yeah, I did well, not to run him down and club him over the head with my bible!! LOL;)

Joe Riley likes this.