Did You Ever Have a Magic Jack?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Magic Jacks are a phone connection that works in conjunction with your computer. The new ones that they have now can actually be connected without a computer, at least I think that is what I read.
    It has been quite a while since I had mine; but it is one of the cheapest ways to have a phone, since it costs about $49 for the Magic Jack and the first year of service, and then $20 per year after that.
    You could call anywhere with it, at least in the United States, and even take it with you when you traveled. If you had a laptop and could connect to internet, then the Magic Jack would work.
    The connection was not as good as on a regular phone line, and it only worked when connected to a computer that was turned on.
    So, if the electricity went out, or the computer died, or was even shut down for the night; then you did not have a phone anymore.

Now, more cell companies have unlimited calling plans, and you can call anywhere and talk as long as you want; but back when I had the Magic Jack, cell phones were still pretty expensive if you made very many calls and paid by the minute for each one.
    Now, I pretty much use my cell phone for everything; but the Magic Jack was pretty handy when I had it.

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't realize you could take the Magic Jack with you like Vonage. Where I live, cell phones barely work, so a home phone is necessary. Although my 'cable' provider offers phone, I cancelled that a couple of years ago, and went with Basic Talk (available at Walmart) for my home phone. It's around $13/month with taxes, which is the best deal I've found. It's amazing how much technology has changed over our lifetimes!

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I said that you can take it with you, I did not mean that it works like a cell phone that you can carry around and use anywhere. But you can carry the Magic jack connector along with you if you are traveling. It does need a regular phone as well; so you would have to either carry your own phone to use, or be able to plug a hotel phone into the magic jack. Sometimes, the hotel phones only work with a special dial-out number; so I am not sure how well that would work with a magic jack.
    Actually, even my iPad will make phone calls now. I have not tired doing that; but it is one of the functions that it has.
    I think that if you only need to have a home phone that you can make calls with as much as you want , then you can't get anything cheaper than a magic jack.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I use skype for my home phone. The skype is on my computer and I pay around 20 for 3 months of service. I have even been able to connect skype to my cell phone.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I understand what you meant, From what I understand, it's an adapter-type product that you plug in, that works using your account/phone number, whether you're at your home or a hotel, or I guess maybe someone else's home? I think it's a form of VOIP, which is what I have through BasicTalk, although I don't believe Basic Talk is portable in the same way as Magic Jack.

6. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

I had a magicjack. There wasn't much magic to it. The connection was always terrible and people couldn't understand me. Some of that might have had something to do with my slower internet connection. I have since increased my speed, but I ended up getting a landline again. It's just easier. To use a phone strictly through a PC, I'd try Google phone.