Did You Enjoy Going To School When You Were Growing Up?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Yvonne Smith, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I love going to school and learning. In fact, i finished college the hard way. I was a working student all through my college education and paid my tuition by being a student library assistant.

John West and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Went to too many schools, due to my Mother's wanderlust
    But, there were two I really liked and would have been so happy to stay - sad about that

John West and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My "very short lived" Jr. College years weren't that good either. I didn't even make it thru a full year! Some years after college, I REALLY wished I would had stayed with it and got at least an A.A. Degree. That would have definitely helped me in my career and salary.
    Twice during the last 10 years, I took an online class for what I'd been working in. I really enjoyed those two classes, passed my Final Exam and got a Certificate of Completion for each. Unfortunately, employers didn't even notice those classes. They wanted a college degree or certificate from APICS. I sure didn't have the money for either of them!
    Still wish I would have stuck with college when I got out of the Navy in the mid 70's

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I didn't enjoy the end of summer but, overall, I enjoyed school. Probably more so in elementary school than high school, but I liked high school too.

5. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Like most kids I had good years and bad. But I have fond memories of my high school years. I was in the band, the chior, and in drama. Most of my friends were also involved in these same activities so we saw each other often. I have run across these friends on facebook and we loosely keep in touch ahtrr 40 years.

6. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

My school when I was a kid was my hiding hole. It is where they would find me most. My favorite spot were the steps of the stage in the quadrangle. After class, instead of going home or going to other places, I would stay after classes and sat on the steps of the stage where I would read and review my lessons for the day while other kids and classmates are on the ground playing with each other. It was on those steps where I would eat and savor my packed lunch or meal. It was where they can find me crying if my teacher have scolded me. I used the spot as meeting place with my grade school friends and classmates Nira & Gilda (believe me they were still my friends up to this age, over 4 decades ago.) as we share gossips and talks about our crushes and pet peeves.:p :D

7. Sharla Skyspirit

Sharla Skyspirit Veteran Member
    Registered

Honestly, the first-fourth grades were difficult. I began liking school more in Middle School, largely because I had a school girl crush on my Speech Teacher, he's now on my FB page though happily married as am I. Thankfully, he was one of the good guys and never treated me inappropriately though he could most likely tell I really "liked," him. In fact, I went to Summer School solely because he was teaching the program. Although, it was pretty fun when my cousin Gary spontaneously jumped out of an airplane over the athletic field during the Summer, he was an alternate on the U.S. Olympic team. While the kids all suggested "yeah right, sure.." It was even funnier when the teacher asked my cousin to speak to the class about skydiving. At that time, he saw me and said, hey I see my cousin back there - "Hi Sharla." - lol - Nice, huh? As for now, I love learning through free online classes, and in the over 50 program here at Humboldt State University. My husband is in the over 60 program in acting and has been in 3 student films in the last 3 semesters. I'm on my way to learn about dance programs being offered in the Spring when I turn 60 and can join in the actual classroom lectures and programs as my husband. We have a great program for Seniors 55 and then 60 and over here. I am also currently enrolled in one online Philosophy class through Saylor for a grade and certificate. Whereas, I am also going to audit a different type of Philosophy class (MIT) starting on the 29th so I'd have to say I definitely love school now more than in the past. Though, when it comes to the classes I've taken on site at Harvard Extension University, and the Distance Learning I did here at Humboldt for credit/grade in 2003, the courses were tough but I definitely did better than expected, and most often better than in High School so I definitely tend to love learning now more than ever' as it keeps my spirit alive and my brain stronger than otherwise - Cheers!!!!

Ike Willis likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

6th. grade Science teacher, great guy named Peter Switkin, came to our house one afternoon, talked to my Mother, noting my extreme interest in Science and Math, very little in Humanities, encouraged her to get me into a "college prep" curriculum when entering H.S. At that time, I had a toy Bazooka, almost as large as the real thing, which threw out a "rocket grenade" across the room, via a spring-loaded plunger. Mr. Switkin explained to me how they really worked; he had used one in Korea. Explained how they are "recoil-less". I ate it up!

6th. through 8th. it was mainly Chemistry. Fall of 8th. grade, POOF, mixing stuff with my mortar and pestle, 2nd. degree burns on face, serious psychological repercussions upon returning to classes. I did get the college prep, though, Biology and Algebra I 1st. year, Physics second year, Alg. II and Chemistry 3rd., Trigonometry and College Algebra experimental course, which I failed, 4th. Along with failed English! I attended an extra semester, did not graduate with my class, but took English, the only course mandatory to make up, Machine Shop, and Psychology I. The Psychology teacher took me aside, wondered why I was taking an extra semester, understood fully when I told him Miss Elliot had failed me in English. He confided by showing me his records book, pointing out my IQ which was included there. He believed it to be 20 points higher, made me feel good. They sent my Diploma in the mail, in January.

After the 8th. grade burn injury, the exciting direction went towards high voltage experiments. I learned how to wind transformers producing thousands of volts. My basement "lab" looked like Professor Frankenstein's! I have an old picture of it, I'll try to find it. Built my first Tesla coil Sophomore year, it lit fluorescent tubes held in hand from 5 feet away. My friend Ron, having General Science, entered it in the Science Fair, took first place. 'Course, they thought he built it. I could not enter as I did not have General Science. Thank Lionel electric trains for establishing from age 6 or so on, how to work with electricity, I wired everything up myself. Of course, in High School, it became cars, the faster the better.

I got real good at aggravating my Dad by doing things like taking some of the "guts" out of his automatic transmission, disassembling them, then putting the stuff back together and reinstalling. Those years explain why I have never had to have anyone else service any of my automobiles, no matter the degree of repair. Saved a lot of dough, which I have no doubt was squandered elsewhere.

Thanks for staying this long! Frank

John West likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here's another thread that hasn't been posted to for a few years. Perhaps some of our new members will want to weigh in.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes I did! Not only grade and high school, but undergraduate and graduate university studies. That might be why I spent 52 years as a teacher. I left my position as adjunct prof at the local college 3 years ago. I miss it.

11. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I enjoyed some of the years in grade school, especially recess and 6th grade, where they teacher really got me going on math. Although not the brightest bulb, my interest was kindled by her to the point that I mastered algebra by by 7th grade. All four years of high school were busy and enjoyable but college was a chore - mostly because I had to work nights to pay for it. College was endless go to class, work, sleep, study and go to class. Enjoyable was not the word for living in a ratty, off-campus dump (single room rent was cheap) while working nights trying to get through 4 years of math courses.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I loved 6th grade. Happiest 3 years of my life...

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I did enjoy school for the most part. As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, I was a real sleepyhead in high school. I suppose that's when my night owl tendencies blossomed because I'd stay up half the night and then have a hard time waking up for school.

In elementary school I developed a love of reading, books and libraries. I was so happy that the school library remained open during the summer break; I could ride my bike to the library and come home with a basket full of wonderful books!

In high school I was a member of the drum and bugle corps and that was a lot of fun. Those bus rides to the ball games where we performed at halftime were a blast, plus marching in parades, etc. Lots of fun memories of activities, learning to drive, boyfriends. Can you imagine that we entertained ourselves with no video games, internet, or cell phones??? :gasp:

15. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I enjoyed the first three grades, even though I couldn't learn to read. I obviously had dyslexia but back then it was just called "you're.not.trying.hard.enough". All I knew is that I tried like the dickens but nothing made any sense. They passed me through anyway. Then in the third grade, and I remember it clearly, something "clicked" in my head and OMG! SO THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!!! After that I started reading and was reading on a high school freshman level at the start of the 4th grade.

Unfortunately, my 4th grade teacher was the teacher from hell. There's a facebook group for my old school (all 12 years of it) and the mere mention of her name sends a collective shudder through the group. Even people who didn't have her for the 4th grade shiver at the mention. She was a witch, pure and simple, dedicated to squeezing all joy of learning from her unfortunately students. That was a bad year. I developed a bleeding ulcer.....at the age of 9.

Luckily, for 5th grade, I had an angel of a teacher who everyone loved with all their heart. That saved me. I liked school after that. Oh, I had teachers I really liked and teachers I didn't like all that much but they were tolerable. I got through high school with B's and A's and didn't get expelled once.

On the whole, I'd have to say I enjoyed school.