Deviled Eggs

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Anyone else like deviled eggs?

I have discovered an easy way to make deviled eggs. I combined all the ingredients (except the eggs) and made a pint of deviled egg mix I keep in the refrigerator. Now I can make one egg or any amount very easily. Just mash the yolk(s) and add mix to get the consistency you want and you're done. The mix keeps well in the refrigerator since the main ingredients are mustard and mayonnaise.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I love deviled eggs more than my wife does. She likes eggs in an omelet, but that's about it. I make deviled eggs now and then and they sure don't last long! We make them for an overnight road trip.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I love deviled eggs, but I think that a part of why I like them is that I don't come across them very often. I don't know that I'd like to eat them on a regular basis. I normally only see them at church buffets and that sort of thing, and they are very good.

4. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

We love deviled eggs at m house and when I make them (which is not often) my grandson inhales them. Your idea of making the "fixings" and keeping it in the refrigerator is a good one. Plus, the same "fixings" can be used in tuna salad, bologna salad (you just grind the bologna, I run mine through my salad shooter), ect. We like some finely chopped onion and celery in our deviled eggs also. I like any idea that will save me a few minutes of standing on my hip due to the fact that I have a bad back and standing really causes me a lot of grief.

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I like hard boiled eggs, but never acquired a taste for deviled eggs.

6. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I keep my fixins' plain and that's the way I like the deviled eggs mostly. If I want to add chopped olives, pickles or anything I add them as I make the deviled eggs, not to the fixins'.
    I don't use the deviled egg mixture in tuna salad. I use very little or no mustard in tuna salad. Deviled eggs are mostly mustard.

7. Sheldon Scott

Registered

I keep my fixins' plain and that's the way I like the deviled eggs mostly. If I want to add chopped olives, pickles or anything I add them as I make the deviled eggs, not to the fixins'.
    I don't use the deviled egg mixture in tuna salad. I use very little or no mustard in tuna salad. Deviled eggs are mostly mustard.

8. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

We do not like as much mustard in our deviled eggs as most people, so I put very little in,, just enough to barely taste it. We do use yellow mustard in the filling mix, but like dijon mustard in it on occasion. We also like the black olives in the mix sometimes.

9. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I like eggs in any (cooked) form. I was quite happy when I discovered the East African "egg sandwich", a treat found in Northern Ethiopia and Eritrea. An Italian-style roll is filled with a small omelette and while there may also be a slice or two of tomato, one certain ingredient is a whole, raw, green chilli. Not for the fainthearted.

A small tip on buying eggs in out-of-the-way places. Fill a bucket with water and place your eggs in the water. This is known as the "sink or stink" test; a rotten egg will float in water, so fling any floaters a long distance away.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Deviled egg is alien to me although I had come across that term before. This reminds me of our first day in the apartment when we had nothing in the kitchen except a one-burner stove, a small pan and a small pot. With just coins in our pocket, my husband thought hard how we would eat. Fortunately, there was rice since it is an important part of moving - tradition says you have to bring at least 5 kilos of rice as a symbol of prosperity for the new abode.

My husband came back from the store with 4 eggs and some tomatoes with garlic and onion. He boiled the eggs and sauteed with the other ingredients. I didn't know that eggs can be a delicious dish like that, he called it sauced eggs. That served as our lunch and dinner as well.

11. Sheldon Scott

Registered

We eat deviled eggs quite often. Right now, though, we just finished a quart of pickled beets so my wife put some boiled eggs in the beet juice to make pickled eggs. They'll be ready to eat in a few days.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I like eggs in the many different ways that you can make at home an egg dish. Deviled eggs is good and so filling too. Your suggestion is a nice one. I like to make one on the spot though. I add the mayo, mustard, lemon pepper and dried parsley to my eggs and slap them on butter crackers or soda crackers. I like munching on something crunchy all the time. You can bet I buy Sensodyne toothpaste too for my teeth. (LOL!). Good idea! Thanks!!! :p