Debate?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Mary Stetler, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Isn't it amazing how folks who believe in God, country, family, the constitution, the rule of law and the laws of physics, math and biology are now considered "right wing"! When i was growing up they were called republicans and democrats.--John West
    In the 'is everyone gone?' thread I wonder what topics the left holds so dear if not these and why. Can't we discuss, even annonymously to come to some common ground?
    Not sure how to come to the fact that there is not only two actual sexes and that we were born that way. It is fine to use them as we see fit as long as we don't hurt anyone. But...
    Lots of topics we could discuss from across the aisle.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I appreciate a respectful discussion even if we don't agree. What seems to happen when discussing thing with someone from the Left is that when they find their beliefs questioned, they want to shout down the other person and often start calling names. Sad, really....

3. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

But..........that's what I see happening on your side. You don't see that here because you're in an insulated gang. None of you really disagree with one another, you're like made of the same mold so you can't see it. I'm the brave outsider and I do see it. Tell me when I've ever shouted anyone down, or if so, was it because a person here can be cornered into it?

Yes, I would want us to disagree and get along despite that, or because of it. We are all Americans here; I wish there were unity in that.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, my wife just told me it was Earth Day and I said "To a point, who cares? With all that is going on, the Ukraine War, all of the crime in the U.S. right now and the cost-of-living, just how can people be that happy?" And, when people get to be this forum's age, true happiness can be a real problem. A real one.

There are those that will debate something heavily, when they think, and note the word "think", they are 100% right. I've "been there, done that".

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

This forum does and did have some left aisle thinking people who manage to display their opinions quite well and are very eloquent in doing so.
    Dialogs can be formed and achieved when the facts mixed with opinions are presented with some modicum of respect for each other and the idea that one or the other is inferior isn’t a part of the conversation nor even in thought.

But, as @Don Alaska brought up, we also do have and did have those who came on board just to be abusive. Whatever facts that might have been presented were and are answered with personal attacks and calling folks idiots, stupid and one in particular called some forum members blank blank traitors. Not once, but several times. Still, that person wasn’t banned for a long time albeit he had more posts deleted for abusive language and personal attacks than anyone thus far as I can remember.
    Note: We even had one member who left here to go to a liberal forum, got run off and came back here.

One thing that comes to mind though, are the one sentence or less folks who come into a conversation just to tell everyone what they think of the folks involved in a conversation.
    No facts and nothing remotely involving the topic of the conversation. No personal spin. No addition to whatever else has been presented.
    Just a bunch of negativity toward those in that conversation.
    Example: Coming into a thread with a singular 4 word sentence saying, “You guys are laughable” or some such isn’t directly calling anyone stupid but it does show a lack of respect for those in that conversation whilst at the same time isn’t offering WHY the comment was made without going off topic. . If something is true, show why it is true. If something is false then show why it is false.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, Bobby, perhaps you should have your own Senior Forum or some other kind of forum. You sure do seem to have a lot of insight into what goes on in a forum. Really.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, but here lies the problem, don't you think? . I don't know how one solves it.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

it is indeed.
    I sort of wish more people became involved with paid content writing when it was a big thing.
    Owners of a forum wouldn’t allow one liners or even one of two sentences much less any unprovoked abuse of another member.
    Note: Normally, the paid people were secreted onto the site with no one knowing there were paid writers on board.

Everyone was / is paid according to their rankings and the rankings depended on one’s ability to convey a thoughtful ingredient to an existing conversation or provoke interest in a personally designed thread.
    That isn’t saying that some people on those forums weren’t abusive but simply put, as a paid writer, if I answered that abuse I had best be derned diplomatic and show facts about whatever the subject matter was about or know when to back off and collect my check.
    Otherwise, all it take is one bad comment from the owner of the forum to whomever the contractor is and that source of revenue can be gone.

The other thing I wish is that we could read each other’s mind sometimes. More often than not, I really believe that there are times when someone’s ire is provoked without that being the intent. It’s hard to tell especially if someone isn’t used to painting a picture with their words.

All that said @Nancy Hart, I have to agree with you and I do not know how to fully solve the problem either.
    I do know that even though you and I are politically foreign to each other, I do enjoy reading your posts because there’s some thought put into them and more times than not they do provoke thought and respect which by itself is the start of a good dialog.

9. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is because they have no logical argument.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah, beyond "orange man bad" there wasn't a lot of substance. (Of course now we have "senile man worse" so what can we do.)

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Lulu Moppet it has been shown in a number of studies that right-leaning folks are less isolated that those on the left. That is, conservatives are more likely to watch MSNBC, CNN, the network news programs or read the Washington Post or New York Times than liberals are to watch Fox News, Newsmax, The Daily Wire or read The Washington Times or New York Post. That is why so many on the left didn't know about Hunter's laptop and other such things not covered in Leftist sources.

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Done that, did that, bought the t-shirt and had to send it back. Too many headaches.

Actually, I and lady from England partnered with a gentleman who decided one morning to delete the entire forum we had built from scratch.
    He was and still is a very troubled person. Genius in his own right, but highly troubled.

Edit and note: The thing is, my lady friend is into spiritualism, the gentleman is an atheist and is way left wing whilst everyone here knows my own proclivities toward politics and religion. All three of us were different yet still got along well in spite of our differences.

Sadly, Peter is still fighting a chem imbalance which lends to him making rash moves.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I try to get info from both sides but it is an awful lot of work.
    I had a loooooonnng debate going with an owner of products I use from Milwaukee. He sent out an email with his opinions on gun control as he had many email addresses from orders. I carefully answered all his points with my own, over weeks. Until the last two emails. He said that I was just not concerned for the safety of my friends who had guns. I said, none of my friends had ever been injured by having guns.
    He came back with, See there? All you care about is YOUR friends!
    I would have had to start over so, I walked away. But it seems when you lose the argument you need to hit with some emotional comeback if you are of a certain way of thinking, instead of a logical one.

14. Lulu Moppet

Registered

I watch FoxNews. Not as often, but I enjoy the daytime programming and they cover different stories that interest me and aren't usually dealt with on other stations. I won't watch Fox in the evenings, I see no point as I'm not pleased with the line up. I read NYPost online because it's focus is on NYC. Also, the NYP allows me to read it for free and with my ad blocker. I generally read it every day. I am a well rounded person. I see no biggie concerning Hunter Biden, I see more problems with Ivanka & Jared offered Billions.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Lulu Moppet

Registered

@Bobby Cole
    I appreciate your well thought out comment to me. Thank you. I will restrain myself from just adding a shocked comment here & there. You've always made this place special IMO. I will try harder when I come here.

Bobby Cole likes this.