Death & Dying

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm unsure if this will be the right place for this... I looked everywhere for a page "What Did You Do Today?" Didnae found one, but as it's in regards to death, here goes...

Today, Saturday 10th of February 2024... A reminder that today, seven years ago, I attended a funeral I'd never believed I'd ever would.

It was a Friday, warmest 10 February ever, blue skies but I had nothing else but tears in my eyes and pains in my heart... I attended the funeral of my youngest child and only son.

He'd just turned 26 years and 5 days later took ill out of the blue. He spent 3 months in hospital, going through four operations, one on the last Christmas day he'd spend on Earth. Dying on the day of his grandfather's birthday. They'd shared the same first name...at 9:15 am (my father had died at 9:15 pm.

Reassurance as I'd felt he was with his granddad in the afterlife...

Today, 7 years later, just as we past the cemetery, a break of blue and a ray of sunshine through the heavy clouds...

Blessed be!

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Hugs to you. I have had communications like that.

Caitlin D Burnside likes this.
  3. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I saw that goodbye video the day after he made it. I followed his channel; he was an animal keeper at a small zoo - mainly reptiles. I was expecting his last video because he shared his diagnosis & struggle from the beginning 9 months ago & I was aware of the survival rate for Pancreatic cancer.
    If I ever got that sick, I wouldn't fear death; I would welcome it & would probably speed it up.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So sorry for the loss of your precious son, Caitlin.

5. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

So many happened in my youth... From the mid-60s to early 70s, there were four funerals in quick succession. It was difficult to be surrounded by so many souls, all overlapping the conversations they wished to convey.

As they weren't siblings, I've never received any bereavement counselling. I basically had to sink or swim and the resulting quagmire meant that family and friends dealt with the situations at hand but I was told to stay out of the way, and keep to my room...

Apparently, time alone was good and conducive to reflection of what had happened. Well... I wasn't alone. However, with each occurrence, it only proved one thing. I had to deal with my upside down feelings by myself, no one was coming to help.

On a second occasion, losing someone who hated me while alive, made things a wee bit easier. I just dismissed the whole thing and there were no haunting spectres... they'd left the area for good.

Might sound kind of harsh, but at the end of the day, we've all dealt with loss in our own way. In the end, it's sometimes our only way not to crumble under the heavy and dark depression.

I've written it down, the experience of these 4 funerals from my childhood and it healed all the wounds that needed major healing. It isn't up on my blog yet as it's misplaced. I'm assuming that I'll have to go through them USBs sticks

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That hits close to home. I lost two friends in high school...both of them close to me and both of them sisters of buddies. One was a suicide and the other died in her sleep from an undiagnosed congenital heart defect. Death makes a lot of people feel uncomfortable. They won't acknowledge their own feelings about it, much less have the capacity (or inclination) to help others through it...not that they would have the skills.

And like you, I've have several close to me pass, with not a tear shed. I like to think I'm above shedding crocodile tears, but perhaps I'm merely heartless. There are a few others for whom death will be a blessed relief...for me, not for them. I'm beyond thinking that it's "sad." We all have our reasons.

There's another thread related to this topic you may find of interest (since we've already trod this path): How Many Funerals Have You Attended So Far? Gotta love the "so far" qualifier ;)

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just something to chew on.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Registered

Beyond, with Heather Tesh has many nde survivors giving their experiences. This man has several episodes about his experiences. This one is interesting as it meshes with where I am right now.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When I first glanced, I thought you were referring to NUDE survivors and wondered what the post was about:D

10. Mary Stetler

Registered

Do they wear clothes in heaven?:rolleyes: