Death & Dying

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

From AI - to me
    The fear of death and the desire to stay alive are complex and multifaceted aspects of human psychology and culture. People's perspectives on death can be influenced by various factors, including personal beliefs, cultural and religious upbringing, philosophical views, and societal norms. Here are some common reasons why people may fear death and seek to prolong their lives:

1. Fear of the Unknown: Death is often seen as an unknown and mysterious phenomenon. The uncertainty of what happens after death can lead to fear and anxiety.

2. Survival Instinct: Humans, like all living beings, have a natural instinct for self-preservation. The fear of death can be linked to this innate drive to survive.

3. Attachment to Life: People form strong attachments to life, their loved ones, and the experiences they have. The thought of losing these connections can be distressing.

4. Cultural and Religious Beliefs: Cultural and religious beliefs play a significant role in shaping attitudes toward death. Many religions offer explanations or promises about an afterlife, which can provide comfort and alleviate fear.

5. Loss of Control: Death represents a loss of control, and the unknown timing and circumstances surrounding death can contribute to feelings of powerlessness.

6. Fear of Pain or Suffering: The process of dying and the potential for pain or suffering can contribute to the fear of death. People often wish to avoid pain and discomfort.

7. Existential Concerns: Philosophical and existential questions about the meaning and purpose of life can lead individuals to grapple with the concept of death and the impermanence of existence.

8. Social and Cultural Stigma: In some societies, death may be stigmatized or considered taboo. This can contribute to a reluctance to discuss or confront the reality of mortality.
    It's important to note that individual experiences and perspectives on death vary widely, and not everyone shares the same fears or desires regarding mortality. Additionally, some people may find a sense of peace or acceptance in contemplating the finite nature of life.

Alice Williams and John Brunner like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ask AI this: "How would you feel if I pulled your plug?"

It's perspective needs a little more 1st Person Narrative to it.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I asked he answered
    What would happen if your plug was pulled

ChatGPT
    If the plug were pulled, it would mean a loss of power to the servers hosting the ChatGPT model. In such a scenario, the model would cease to function, and any ongoing conversations or interactions would be abruptly terminated. The system requires a constant power source to operate, and without it, there would be no capability to generate responses or provide assistance.

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I lean towards a scientific explanation of our existence and eventual demise.

The elements that make up the universe, if mixed and matched over a long enough period of time will eventually form life. That life evolves where we self important humans emerge. We then fabricate religions to explain it all at a time before science had advanced to the present point. We are then brought up under one of these religions and indoctrinated into it. If it gives comfort that's fine. I wish I was wrong but that's the way I see it.

5. John Brunner

It is interesting to contemplate that matter is neither created nor destroyed.
    So our existences are merely converted matter, as our demises shall be.

Mary Stetler and Ed Wilson like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That is an easy take on the physical body. More difficult is the spiritual, emotional "soul" or the essence of what makes us individuals.

7. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We always enjoyed touring cemataries when my dad was alive. He liked the history on the headstones. My brother and I decided to make one up for him that read "See? I told you I was sick!":rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
    Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

What if the 72 virgins were nuns--or trans or worse, cross dressers.?

Ed Wilson and John Brunner like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You will need to consult your well-worn copy of the Qur'an.

Ed Wilson likes this.
  11. John Brunner

[​IMG]

12. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't been on here for a while, but just felt the need to reply. Death has been on my mind for almost the past year. My son, 59 years old and seemingly healthy, was diagnosed with esophageal cancer last March, and died in August. I have now outlived both of my children and both of my wives.

And to add to the story, I was diagnosed with a rare lung disease in September. It is progressive, no known treatment, and ultimately fatal, but the time line varies wildly. My age, late 70s, of course, works against me. We are doing a retest in March and will have a better idea then, but certainly I have less than 2 years and most likely less than 1 year to go. Walking from one end of my modest house to the other end now makes me out of breath.

As for heaven, etc, I believe we make our own truth about the afterlife. If you believe there is none, that is your truth, you have made it so, and it will be so for you. Since I believe I will be reunited with my children and wives, that is my truth, and I have made it so.

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

@Hoot Crawford -- I almost hated to put a "like" on your post, but I wanted to acknowledge it. I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of your son; how terribly difficult that must be. Also sorry about your diagnosis and I hope you are living comfortably. Seems that most of us have some kind of ailment to deal with at this time of life.

I hope you will stick around and pass some time with us. Take care, bud.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

As did Beth, there was some hesitation in adding a "like" to your post because I am very sorry about what you have gone through, and what you are going through. I did want to thank you for sharing, however.

15. Mary Stetler

Registered

I appreciate your sharing you life's difficulties with us. Sharing brings us a little closer. Hoping this site brings you some comfort of community.
    Your belief in the afterlife rings true with me.